Non-relevant work experience on CV?

Rodao

Hi all,

I just have a few simple questions. As an undergraduate applying almost directly to graduate school, do I want to include non-relevant work experience in my CV? For the record, I am applying to programs for philosophy and political science, and I don't have a whole lot else to put on the CV, really. I'm talking about jobs that clearly have no relation to anything I'm applying in, e.g., delivery driver, document clerk, etc.

Also, should I list relevant courses I've taken, or just the school and degree? And should I include (non-relevant) skills/hobbies/interests?

Thanks!

A CV is definitely about academic relevancy. I would say you can include clerical jobs in academic departments, but that's about it. Keep skill/hobbies/interests to a minimum, if any. Do list any philosophy or poli sci societies you may be in.

Others may suggest differently, but I did include a short list of relevant courses in my education section. Though now that I'm in grad school, I deleted that part.

A CV is definitely about academic relevancy. I would say you can include clerical jobs in academic departments, but that's about it. Keep skill/hobbies/interests to a minimum, if any. Do list any philosophy or poli sci societies you may be in.

Others may suggest differently, but I did include a short list of relevant courses in my education section. Though now that I'm in grad school, I deleted that part.

Second this. I would only put down things directly relevant to what you plan on doing. Don't become overly concerned with a short C.V.; schools know that straight out of undergrad you won't have two to three pages of activities to talk about, but you'll probably have a related club, some awards, and a presentation to put down. The suggestion of relevant coursework is a good one, particularly if your transcript isn't descriptive.

Be wary of "padding" your C.V. - adcomms will sniff that out in a minute (and they won't like it!). Having only one page (or less) is OK at this stage in your academic career.

Edited by Chumlee

The suggestion of relevant coursework is a good one, particularly if your transcript isn't descriptive.

Hah, funny you mention this. I got my official transcripts in the mail a day or two ago, and I had a look at them. Turns out they are just as inscrutable as the unofficial ones available on the university's website. One course is listed as "Special Topics," yet it literally says nothing more descriptive about the course.

I'll leave out the work stuff and put in a relevant courses section. Thanks!