Print Making Programs

brianmc

Does anyone have the printmaking/print media rankings from U.S News and World Reports beyond the ones that are published for free online?...and would you mind sharing? Also does anyone know of any good programs that maybe aren't ranked as those rankings aren't everything?...AND lastly does anyone know what printmaking programs are good for painters/printmakers?

P.S. I have a painting portfolio and want to go to grad school for printmaking. I have had undergrad printmaking classes in relief, intaglio, screen, mono, as well as done some collograph, but my work has changed and developed tremendously as that was over 11 years ago. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would also like to attend a program that will allow me some time to learn litho, which I have never done, because I would like to teach printmaking someday either to undergrads, or maybe even to high school students in day camp setting.

Thanks.

1 University of Wisconsin--Madison Madison, WI

2 Rhode Island School of Design Providence, RI

University of Iowa Iowa City, IA

4 University of Tennessee--Knoxville Knoxville, TN

5 Indiana University--Bloomington (Hope) Bloomington, IN

6 Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey--New Brunswick New Brunswick, NJ

7 Arizona State University Tempe, AZ

Cranbrook Academy of Art Bloomfield Hills, MI

9 School of the Art Institute of Chicago Chicago, IL

10 University of Georgia Athens, GA

11 University of Nebraska--Lincoln Lincoln, NE

University of New Mexico Albuquerque , NM

University of Texas--Austin Austin, TX

14 Columbia University New York, NY

Washington University in St. Louis Saint Louis, MO

16 Yale University New Haven, CT

17 Temple University Elkins Park, PA

Virginia Commonwealth University Richmond, VA

19 Herron School of Art & Design Indianapolis, IN

20 Iowa State University Ames, IA

Ohio University Athens, OH

University of South Florida Tampa, FL

Thank you very much. It's good to see so many public Universities on this list.

Yeh, I expected it to be exactly like the painting list, which it is mostly at the top. But a lot of the state schools crept in.

Have you looked into schools that don't segregate the disciplines? I know schools, like the SMFA, you can pretty much do whatever you want after you're there. When they reviewed my photo portfolio they told me I should look into printmaking, given the work I was showing. Probably about half the shcools I've looked into don't segregate or only segregate for admissions (CalArts, for example). After you're in you're free to experiment.

Yeh, I expected it to be exactly like the painting list, which it is mostly at the top. But a lot of the state schools crept in.

Have you looked into schools that don't segregate the disciplines? I know schools, like the SMFA, you can pretty much do whatever you want after you're there. When they reviewed my photo portfolio they told me I should look into printmaking, given the work I was showing. Probably about half the shcools I've looked into don't segregate or only segregate for admissions (CalArts, for example). After you're in you're free to experiment.

A majority of schools don't separate anymore. I'd really like to attend a program with a group of printmakers, so I can have some technical assistance. My undergrad work was in painting, but I'd like to teach printmaking, so I really want to be able to learn the processes and become familiar enough with all of the materials involved that I would be able to order things that were needed and oversee a printshop someday. I've never done litho, so I would need to take an elective in that at the very least, and my memory of intaglio is slipping because it was so long ago, although now I think something called "solar plate" that doesn't use acid is taking over, so I'd like to be somewhere that I can learn that too.

• 1 month later...

From that list I'm applying to Cranbrook, VCU, and Columbia (but for new genres).

I have a friend in her first year at U of Iowa print (she got the best aid from there) and another one who finished there last year and is on a Fulbright now. They both seem to have an ok impression of it but certainly not true love.

I didn't apply because Cranbrook is the only landlocked school I applied to.

From that list I'm applying to Cranbrook, VCU, and Columbia (but for new genres).

I have a friend in her first year at U of Iowa print (she got the best aid from there) and another one who finished there last year and is on a Fulbright now. They both seem to have an ok impression of it but certainly not true love.

I didn't apply because Cranbrook is the only landlocked school I applied to.

Where did your friend go on Fulbright?

• 2 weeks later...

I am, but only at programs that are discipline specific in the application process--my work is print-based but really multi media.

Applying to:

Rutgers

Purchase

Brooklyn College

Carnegie Mellon

Cornell

PennDesign

VCU

what about you?

Does anyone have any new printmaking news? Is anyone applying for printmaking?

I am, but only at programs that are discipline specific in the application process--my work is print-based but really multi media.

Applying to:

Rutgers

Purchase

Brooklyn College

Carnegie Mellon

Cornell

PennDesign

VCU

what about you?

I'm just gathering information. I'm not applying until next year. Have you visited any of the schools? Are they listed in your order of preference?

I wish some of these schools would shoot some short documentaries with student and faculty interviews and walkthroughs of the facilities and throw them up on youtube. It would be a good way for people to start to get an idea of what they are all about and what spending a couple of years there making art might be like.

I totally agree.

I have visited all of them, actually, except for Cornell (they have really strange policies about how you may/ may not visit). If you're looking for hardcore printmaking (like 'will make you a master printer) programs, these are not the right ones--my list is all interdisciplinary, though I did make sure that every program was set up for screen printing, as that's what I mostly use in my work. for the serious printmaking programs go to the us news and world report rankings. i've hear great things about UT Knoxville, Tyler and SAIC, among others. Mine are not listed in order of preference. That would look like this:

Cornell

Carnegie Mellon

VCU

Purchase

PennDesign

Rutgers

Brooklyn

These programs, aside from encouraging interdisciplinary work, all offer funding as well as teaching assistantships (both essential for me). They also all have great studio spaces--Brooklyn actually has some of the nicest I've seen.

Good luck and holler with other questions.

L

I'm just gathering information. I'm not applying until next year. Have you visited any of the schools? Are they listed in your order of preference?

I wish some of these schools would shoot some short documentaries with student and faculty interviews and walkthroughs of the facilities and throw them up on youtube. It would be a good way for people to start to get an idea of what they are all about and what spending a couple of years there making art might be like.

UT Knoxville has some great video and photos on the web if you dig around a little. Looks like there is a lot of camaraderie among students and faculty there and they really seem to get involved in the greater printmaking community as a whole. They have done some collaborations with other University printmaking departments and they have a printmaking club that raises money for students to attend the annual Southern Graphics Council meetings. Looks like a really awesome place to spend a few years. UW Madison looks like it would be pretty awesome too. Especially if given the opportunity to work with their Tandem Press. I think those are my two front-runners right now. I'm also sort of interested in Indiana, Iowa, Georgia, USF, Tyler, Rutgers, maybe a few others. I'd really like an opportunity to study abroad for at least one semester or maybe a couple of summers. I wish I had the time and money to visit every program before spending the money to apply, but I'll probably just have to wait and try to visit the ones I am lucky enough to get accepted to...if any. I'm close enough to visit Tyler and Rutgers, but the rest are pretty far away.

I just graduated undergrad at UT Knoxville, and I cannot say enough about how lucky I am how things worked out for me. Beauvais Lyons, Koichi Yamamoto, as well as the new addition of Althea Murphy-Price make for a wonderful print program. The facilities are pretty good, however, unlike all other undergrads I never got to have a studio, the only downfall of undergrad there. Each fall we have a Print and Cermaics sale, which 20 percent of the profits for prints go towards the funding of SGC, which is always the highlight of every year. I am applying at ten schools this year ( print/book arts and just studio mfa programs) and while I am certain the names on my application will get me far to an extent, it is now all on me to make this happen. Any questions about UTK I will answer and answer truthfully. Best of luck, fellow printers!

UT Knoxville has some great video and photos on the web if you dig around a little. Looks like there is a lot of camaraderie among students and faculty there and they really seem to get involved in the greater printmaking community as a whole. They have done some collaborations with other University printmaking departments and they have a printmaking club that raises money for students to attend the annual Southern Graphics Council meetings. Looks like a really awesome place to spend a few years. UW Madison looks like it would be pretty awesome too. Especially if given the opportunity to work with their Tandem Press. I think those are my two front-runners right now. I'm also sort of interested in Indiana, Iowa, Georgia, USF, Tyler, Rutgers, maybe a few others. I'd really like an opportunity to study abroad for at least one semester or maybe a couple of summers. I wish I had the time and money to visit every program before spending the money to apply, but I'll probably just have to wait and try to visit the ones I am lucky enough to get accepted to...if any. I'm close enough to visit Tyler and Rutgers, but the rest are pretty far away.

I just graduated undergrad at UT Knoxville, and I cannot say enough about how lucky I am how things worked out for me. Beauvais Lyons, Koichi Yamamoto, as well as the new addition of Althea Murphy-Price make for a wonderful print program. The facilities are pretty good, however, unlike all other undergrads I never got to have a studio, the only downfall of undergrad there. Each fall we have a Print and Cermaics sale, which 20 percent of the profits for prints go towards the funding of SGC, which is always the highlight of every year. I am applying at ten schools this year ( print/book arts and just studio mfa programs) and while I am certain the names on my application will get me far to an extent, it is now all on me to make this happen. Any questions about UTK I will answer and answer truthfully. Best of luck, fellow printers!

What are the facilities like? Do you have 24 hour access to the printshop and studios? Do grad printmakers get a small private studio where they can keep all of their stuff? What would you say the average age of the grad students is? I'll be turning 36 if I get into a program for fall 2012, will I feel really old there? Even though every school says they encourage a diversity of styles and approaches, many (not all) are lying, do you have any thoughts on this as far as UT Knoxville goes? How do you pronounce Beauvais?