advice on whether to apply to MA or PhD programs

logant

Hi y'all!  

So I am in a bit of a unique position and I have been looking from advice from both my professors as well as various forums. Essentially I am deciding whether to apply to either PhD or MA programs. At the moment I am currently a junior at a relatively well ranked state school as a member in the honors college. Additionally, I have a 3.93 GPA w/ a 4.0 GPA in philosophy (30 credits, 21 being upper divison and 1 graduate course). I also I have completed 2 independent research projects, will be doing a summer research project this summer through the Mellon Foundation, and hopefully a senior honors thesis. The situation is as follows, I am currently 16 and will be 17 when I graduate so I do not really know if I would want to commit to a PhD program (assuming I get into one, I am very aware of how competitive it is), as I have so many other interests and do not really want to rush into a PhD program and commit to something for five years as my interests are still developing (i.e. I am also majoring in political science and find politics/law very interesting). However, I do know I still want to continue studying philosophy for at least a few more years, thus I am considering applying to funded MA programs (i.e. UWM, GSU, UH, VT, etc.). What would y'all recommend doing in this situation? Thank you so much!

There's certainly no rush for you to get either an MA or a PhD. If you want to pursue stuff right away, then yes, a Master's degree seems like the safer bet, given your situation.

The PhD will see you living away from home for the first time, maybe far away, and that is a life experience that comes with its own challenges. Combining that with a PhD is a recipe for unneeded stress. The same is true for the MA, of course, but it's a question of a couple years versus five to ten. And, frankly, it's better to have some life experience before committing to the PhD. You'll come out of it somewhat bruised, only to find a job market that won't hire you, or that dangles short-term options far away from friends and family. 

It's also worth pointing out that your age will put you in a very different social situation from the rest of your cohort. And that, unfortunately, is a recipe for serious loneliness and isolation. They'll be hanging out, often in spaces where the alcohol flows freely, and doing any number of other things which aren't available to a 17 year-old, or which interest them but not you, etc. And that will make it hard for you to make friends and develop an adequate support network. The PhD is alienating enough on its own. It's better to be able to share the experience with others.

Take the time to enjoy life and being young. Graduate degrees will wait for you. I doubt I would have taken my own advice at that age, but I do think it's right.

Alright, thank you so much for your advice @maxhgns! I had one question--I was worried about the social part as well and I was wondering if there might be a solution where I could start at an MA program and still have a good social life. At the moment, I really love the school I got to and have so many friends and have had so many amazing experiences. Additionally, the school has a fully funded terminal MA program that if I got into I could still stay near my parents and keep the friends I have from undergraduate. Does that seem to be the best bet?