Cambridge MPhil in Modern South Asian Studies

Hey all. Had a couple of questions about Cambridge and their Mphil in Modern South Asian Studies. Was surprised to find I got a conditional offer from the department. I'm waiting for college affiliation process to finish. Does anyone know the strength and reputation of the program? Also how do the graduate fare in further doctoral studies, research opps, and job searchess? My long term goal is a phd program in political science with a area focus on Conflict and peacebuilding in South Asia.

The other question I had was on funding. The UK funding system is still confounding me. I applied for Gates and initiated the processes for Cambridges Trusts, but Im doubtful what the outcome will be. Are there any other funding agencies that US students look to for funding whose deadline hasn't passed yet? Thanks

Hey all. Had a couple of questions about Cambridge and their Mphil in Modern South Asian Studies. Was surprised to find I got a conditional offer from the department. I'm waiting for college affiliation process to finish. Does anyone know the strength and reputation of the program? Also how do the graduate fare in further doctoral studies, research opps, and job searchess? My long term goal is a phd program in political science with a area focus on Conflict and peacebuilding in South Asia.

The other question I had was on funding. The UK funding system is still confounding me. I applied for Gates and initiated the processes for Cambridges Trusts, but Im doubtful what the outcome will be. Are there any other funding agencies that US students look to for funding whose deadline hasn't passed yet? Thanks

First of all, congrats. I'm (an American) at Cambridge now, and I can practically guarantee that you're going to love it here.

For the first set of questions: The thing about the strength/reputation of Cambridge programs is that unless you're planning on living and working in the UK, it won't matter. I was weighing LSE and Cambs before deciding on the latter, partially because in terms of reputation, the latter wins out irrespective of the program. To reiterate, this isn't universally true, but for practically all PhD programs and academic positions in the US, it holds. I don't know about the particular program's graduates, but I would contact the department. Now that you've been accepted, they'll gladly have a phone chat with you on what previous students are now doing.

As for funding: It's pretty much passed for the Trusts and other huge programs, but the College you get may have specific scholarships. Once you get word what College you'll be at, check out their funding. Also, there may be small departmental grants, but I get the feeling that yours won't have much (as it's not an enormous dep't). Honestly, total costs are likely to run you $40k for the degree, so loans could work. It's not ideal, but it's better than a 2-year, $50k annually degree from the States.

PM me if you have any Cambs-specific questions!

Edited by balderdash