Freaking out over the AWA

indyir

Hi.

I gave my GRE in April. Studied for about a month , practiced only one awa essay. Moreover I was extremely tensed and actually crying cause i thought my maths had been a disaster i scored above 780 in all practice tests, soI really messed up the essay. I got a 3.5 , but i know the quality of writing is veryyy poor. People convinced me the score was high enough to offset the AWA and when i saw that the average Hopkins awa is 3.5 . i did not bother.

But right now I just found out that the colleges get sample essays and Im dying , I cant concentrate on anything im just so tensed.

Seriously how bad are my chances ? I gave the TOEFL as well and scored 116/120

I have a GPA of 3.8 . Can speak Native english and Hindi. Good spanish and German and basic Hungarian.

Hi.

I gave my GRE in April. Studied for about a month , practiced only one awa essay. Moreover I was extremely tensed and actually crying cause i thought my maths had been a disaster i scored above 780 in all practice tests, soI really messed up the essay. I got a 3.5 , but i know the quality of writing is veryyy poor. People convinced me the score was high enough to offset the AWA and when i saw that the average Hopkins awa is 3.5 . i did not bother.

But right now I just found out that the colleges get sample essays and Im dying , I cant concentrate on anything im just so tensed.

Seriously how bad are my chances ? I gave the TOEFL as well and scored 116/120

I have a GPA of 3.8 . Can speak Native english and Hindi. Good spanish and German and basic Hungarian.

They don't send the sample essays to the university. I'm pretty sure of this, though you can call and ask to put your mind at ease.

I have some contacts in SAIS admissions. I know for a fact that with the exams such as the GRE, they know that it's just one test on one day. People mess up, don't feel well, et cetera. That's why GPA (and letters of rec, personal statements, experience) matters much more, as it shows your work over years. So whether or not they see the essay is a moot point - they know the limitations under which you wrote it, and that it's not necessarily indicative of your ability.

And besides, you got a 1520. So they won't even glance at the essay even if it is sent to them.

Basically, I would recommend just chilling out. smile.gif