Ed PhD funding (Berkeley? Penn? Harvard?)

yyyyyyyyy

Hello!

I'm trying to whittle down the number of Ed PhD (literacy / composition) programs to which I am applying based on the likelihood of getting funding, but I'm having a hard time finding out how places fund. Anybody know if (& how well) these places fund PhDs?

Berkeley -- any chance of getting funding here?

Harvard -- the website says it funds years 1 3 and 5...does that mean you are on your own the other years?

Penn -- having trouble finding numbers for this one.

Maybe it would be good to have a general funding thread?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I met with a professor at Berkeley and she told me that they don't have much funding available, because of budget cuts. That being said, she did say that Berkeley and UCLA are better off, in terms of funding that the other UC schools. She also said that there are only a few RA/TA positions available in the Ed school as well.

I thought Penn GSE was fully funded for each year, but I could be completely wrong on that!

I am also not sure about the funding breakdown for HGSE. I did find it recently, but don't remember the link....

Hope this helps a bit!

What programs are you applying to?

I am applying to Social and Cultural Studies at Cal, Education, Culture and Society at Penn and Culture, Communities and Education at HGSE.

GOOD LUCK!

Hello!

I'm trying to whittle down the number of Ed PhD (literacy / composition) programs to which I am applying based on the likelihood of getting funding, but I'm having a hard time finding out how places fund. Anybody know if (& how well) these places fund PhDs?

Harvard -- the website says it funds years 1 3 and 5...does that mean you are on your own the other years?

Thanks!

Hello!

Thanks!

The Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE) currently (1) offers FULL funding through five years for EdD candidates. The 1,3,5 numbers you saw were for a specific fellowship, most likely.

All students accepted for HGSE EdD candidacy have their full tuition, fees, and medical costs covered for years 1-5. In addition, they are given a stipend the first year to help aid the transition.

A similar benefit package exists for the Ed.L.D. (3 year professional doctorate) program, but they get the stipend all 3 years, because they are generally unable to be employed as Teaching Fellows or Graduate Researchers due to time constraints.

Hope this helps,

Tut

(1) The funding package changes from year to year, so this may not always be the case for every incoming cohort.