Deferring and reapplying elsewhere?

Earlier this year, I was admitted to SIPA's MIA program and decided to defer primarily for personal reasons, though finances played a part. Though this wasn't part of the plan, I got the urge to give HKS one last shot a month or so ago, but, given that I'd already paid the deposit, I wasn't going to turn SIPA down to reaplpy to both.

Here's the question. Am I even allowed to apply to another program while holding a spot at SIPA? My general sense is yes, since the "Responding to Your Admissions Offer" page on SIPA's website only explicitly forbids attending another program prior to enrolling in SIPA and since the deposit serves as the "penalty" for my changed plans.

Searching through the forums had yielded conflicting opinions. On one hand, seems to come to come to a similar conclusion to the above in that it's acceptable as long as you're willing to throw away the deposit. One user on on the other hand, seems to suggest otherwise.

If I do end up reapplying, would I benefit from mentioning SIPA? This might seem unnecessary, but since I indicated on my previous application that I'd applied to SIPA, it shows that:

(1) should I get in, I would likely attend HKS; and

(2) that I got into SIPA the first time around, setting a certain benchmark for my qualifications.

Any and all thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!

I was on the fence about this very same thing (believe me), but decided in the end that personally, I didn't even prefer anything at HKS over SIPA apart from the H. Anyway, to answer your question, of course you can if you/your financiers are okay with losing both deposits. Up to you on whether you want to mention SIPA if you end up applying. Highly doubt it'll greatly help or hurt your application relative to your other merits. Best of luck either way.

I was on the fence about this very same thing (believe me), but decided in the end that personally, I didn't even prefer anything at HKS over SIPA apart from the H. Anyway, to answer your question, of course you can if you/your financiers are okay with losing both deposits. Up to you on whether you want to mention SIPA if you end up applying. Highly doubt it'll greatly help or hurt your application relative to your other merits. Best of luck either way.

Hey, thanks for the response; great to know that there are other people that have gone through the same dilemma.

Retrospectively, yes, that's definitely the reason I applied the first time around (I was actually considering withdrawing my application when I got into SIPA), and, while I'd be lying if I said that "the H" didn't have an effect on my perception of my program, I do think that HKS is better suited to my individual needs.

Namely, because my interests are in climate policy and the economic analysis thereof, I want a program that has a rigorous quantitative/econ component in addition to an international bent, and is strong in environmental/climate policy analysis. The first criterion (quant+international) limited my search primarily to IR degrees with MPP-like curricula or policy programs with international "tracks", and the second favors programs big enough to consistently have course offerings in climate policy, energy policy, etc.

The factor that gave HKS the edge over SIPA, is "Microeconomic Analysis" (API-112/Econ-2020), a doctoral-level course in microeconomic theory applied to policy (as opposed to the advanced microeconomics classes offered most places that are more theoretical). Having that would allow me to get into the technical climate economics side of policy, and set me up well if I want to go on to get a PhD in Public Policy later on... that and the fact that I went to Columbia for undergrad and want a breath of fresh air!

Either way, if admit rates are at all telling, more likely than not, I'll be seeing you in the fall. :)

--

*Edited to add: I've been revising my statement of purpose, so my mind's there at the moment. Sorry if I got a bit SoP in your face... haha*

Hey, thanks for the response; great to know that there are other people that have gone through the same dilemma.

Retrospectively, yes, that's definitely the reason I applied the first time around (I was actually considering withdrawing my application when I got into SIPA), and, while I'd be lying if I said that "the H" didn't have an effect on my perception of my program, I do think that HKS is better suited to my individual needs.

Namely, because my interests are in climate policy and the economic analysis thereof, I want a program that has a rigorous quantitative/econ component in addition to an international bent, and is strong in environmental/climate policy analysis. The first criterion (quant+international) limited my search primarily to IR degrees with MPP-like curricula or policy programs with international "tracks", and the second favors programs big enough to consistently have course offerings in climate policy, energy policy, etc.

The factor that gave HKS the edge over SIPA, is "Microeconomic Analysis" (API-112/Econ-2020), a doctoral-level course in microeconomic theory applied to policy (as opposed to the advanced microeconomics classes offered most places that are more theoretical). Having that would allow me to get into the technical climate economics side of policy, and set me up well if I want to go on to get a PhD in Public Policy later on... that and the fact that I went to Columbia for undergrad and want a breath of fresh air!

Either way, if admit rates are at all telling, more likely than not, I'll be seeing you in the fall. :)

--

*Edited to add: I've been revising my statement of purpose, so my mind's there at the moment. Sorry if I got a bit SoP in your face... haha*

Oh I see. Have you looked at the approved econ courses that you could take elsewhere at Columbia? And do you know if there's anything we need to do until next summer?

But seriously, if the HKS program might be better for you and you don't mind the hassle/cost of submitting another application, just apply anyway and see what happens just so there are no 'what ifs' lingering.... and then decide ex-post what you should do.

Oh I see. Have you looked at the approved econ courses that you could take elsewhere at Columbia? And do you know if there's anything we need to do until next summer?

But seriously, if the HKS program might be better for you and you don't mind the hassle/cost of submitting another application, just apply anyway and see what happens just so there are no 'what ifs' lingering.... and then decide ex-post what you should do.

Yep, that was the reason for wanting to re-apply (if I'm going to go in debt, might as well get rid of the "what ifs"), though, as I (hopefully) suggested in my previous post, I'd be more than happy to go to SIPA (just a bit more happy to go to HKS, again, for individual reasons). As for advanced micro classes at Columbia, the two that I can think of off the top of my head are very theoretical (not to mention that the professor that teaches the one that would be easier for a SIPA student to get into I don't get along with :P).

The main reason I started this thread was to make sure that they won't rescind my offer for applying elsewhere, that's all.

As for things that I'm doing prior to SIPA, right now, I'm focusing on getting all the funding I can find before I apply for loans in the spring. Nothing else I can think of, apart from maybe attend the admitted student's day (since I already live in NYC), and glance over the summer math camp.

Edited by greendiplomat