I am in a dilemma

abhijitm

Hi,

I am in a pretty tough dilemma.I have been admitted into the MS ECE programs of Carnegie Mellon University,University of Wisconsin-Madison and Duke University. I will be able to afford CMU only by taking a loan.Can anyone who is currently in the US or has an idea about the ECE programs in all three places help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Abhijit Maleth

Edited by abhijitm

I am in a pretty tough dilemma.I have been admitted into the MS ECE programs of Carnegie Mellon University,University of Wisconsin-Madison and Duke University. I will be able to afford CMU only by taking a loan.Can anyone who is currently in the US or has an idea about the ECE programs in all three places help me out?

it is unclear whether there's any funding from any/all three schools. if they say they can't fund your stay, then going for the cheaper school is a wise option. or, if you can get fellowship from your country, that's nice too. however, if you have heard nothing about funding, that means they might still be in the process of sorting out funds for MS students. unlike for phd candidates, funding decision for MS students can take a long time. so, you can contact the program and ask them what the situation is. wisc and duke are ranked high up there and i'd assume they'd have money to fund their students. just hang in there.

it is unclear whether there's any funding from any/all three schools. if they say they can't fund your stay, then going for the cheaper school is a wise option. or, if you can get fellowship from your country, that's nice too. however, if you have heard nothing about funding, that means they might still be in the process of sorting out funds for MS students. unlike for phd candidates, funding decision for MS students can take a long time. so, you can contact the program and ask them what the situation is. wisc and duke are ranked high up there and i'd assume they'd have money to fund their students. just hang in there.

No funding will be given in either of the three schools.Although,most students in Wisconsin and Duke receive aid once they reach there.:) But my main concern is the reputation of the university and the chances for internship/jobs after graduation while keeping the cost factor to a reasonable amount.:rolleyes:

No funding will be given in either of the three schools.Although,most students in Wisconsin and Duke receive aid once they reach there.:) But my main concern is the reputation of the university and the chances for internship/jobs after graduation while keeping the cost factor to a reasonable amount.:rolleyes:

you can email current graduate students in the departments of all universities and ask how their situation was around this time when they were accepted. also ask how is the market placement of the graduating classes. based on what they say, you'll be able to sort out your odds from the evens. hopefully things will turn out well for you.