financial support and cost in UC Irvine

maa

Hi, I have received admission with financial support from UC Irvine. They will pay me $1700 per month for 9 months each year. I know California is among the expensive states in US. I just want to know if this amount is enough for living expense, books and food. Moreover, I found that ("City Guide" forum) on campus housing is cheaper than off campus housing. Do you have any idea what should I do regarding housing? Even if I take on campus housing, should I take it as single user or share it with somebody? I just need some advices on these matters.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't actually attend UC Irvine, but I live about 45 minutes away so I can tell you what I know. Irvine is basically a model for American suburbia. The streets are so squeaky clean you could eat off of them. The upside is that almost all the housing development, whether apartment or condominium, is near new and very high quality. The downside, of course, is cost. There are affordable areas in Irvine, and there are also less squeaky clean areas nearby, like in Santa Ana or Fullerton. Try checking craigslist in Orange County and look at descriptions that say something along the lines of "perfect for students."

I am a current undergrad at UCI and the post above me pretty much spells out how Irvine is a VERY sterile city. If you want cheap housing I would try to obtain on campus housing-- I believe there's graduate student housing in AV (Arroyo Vista). Obviously having a roommate would be a cheaper option but if you're like me I prefer my own room. The cheapest off-campus housing is at Parkwest which is about 7-10mins. away from campus by vehicle (there are campus shuttles that go there too). For your own room prepare to spend anywhere from $700-800/month. You could eat cheap if you cook at home so your funding should be enough. Good luck, please don't listen to me but I'm glad to be getting out this place (born and raised OC)