UPenn MAPP Program

chris87

http://www.sas.upenn.../graduate/mapp/

Has anyone heard anything about this program? In particular, will the MAPP program help prepare one for a Ph.D.? Any good ideas for getting funding for the MAPP? Thanks for any help!

-Chris

I have heard great things about this program, but I don't think this is in any way research intensive. As the name implied, it's focused on the applied side of positive psych. And I think it's mostly online with on-campus meeting once a month, so if you don't take the initiative, it's hard to build up a good mentor-mentee relationship with the faculty. However, if you do take the initiative and do research with the faculty in addition to completing the program requirement, it can be very helpful, especially if you are applying to work with professors in the field.

An applied degree will not help you get into a PhD program as much as a research-based degree will. PhD programs will want to see that you have written a thesis.

Also, I think many programs would rather see a general social psychology degree than something so specific--and, dare I say, "trendy"--as positive psychology.

Just my opinion.

Hi Chris - I just graduated from the program and I know a lot of other people who are in it now or have been in it over the past 5 yrs. Happy to answer any questions offlistas well.

It was a great program and I know several people who went on to do a PhD after this program.

U Penn does not (yet) offer funding for the program. Everyone I know either arranged their own financing (personal loans, savings, etc) or else it was paid (in part or in full) by their work. The vast majority as far as I can tell paid for it on their own.

All the best,

Lisa

LVS Consulting

http://www.sas.upenn.../graduate/mapp/

Has anyone heard anything about this program? In particular, will the MAPP program help prepare one for a Ph.D.? Any good ideas for getting funding for the MAPP? Thanks for any help!

-Chris