Divinity Schools & Seminaries

EJKS97

Good afternoon  -  I would like to hear people's perspectives and opinions on the major divinity schools and seminaries in the United States; which to stay away from, which to consider, etc., in terms of a classic, traditional theological education as an M.Div. student. I am an Anglican, for reference. Thank you in advance!

Are you using Anglican in the sense that a Canadian or someone from the UK would? (I doubt it but I want to check).

It depends on what your goals are.

If you're Anglican but not pursuing ordination, just about every mainline seminary and divinity school will have an Anglican/Episcopalian on staff, probably many of them.

If you're Anglican in the sense of ACNA and want a classical but conservative education: some non-Jesuit Catholic schools if more high church. If more evangelical, there's a number of Methodist and Lutheran schools. Perhaps Catholic schools like SLU and Marq, too.

You can get a solid classical education at places like Yale and Chicago, but it will be a bumpy ride if your conservative boots are dragging in the mud. 

4 minutes ago, xypathos said:

Are you using Anglican in the sense that a Canadian or someone from the UK would? (I doubt it but I want to check).

It depends on what your goals are.

If you're Anglican but not pursuing ordination, just about every mainline seminary and divinity school will have an Anglican/Episcopalian on staff, probably many of them.

If you're Anglican in the sense of ACNA and want a classical but conservative education: some non-Jesuit Catholic schools if more high church. If more evangelical, there's a number of Methodist and Lutheran schools. Perhaps Catholic schools like SLU and Marq, too.

You can get a solid classical education at places like Yale and Chicago, but it will be a bumpy ride if your conservative boots are dragging in the mud. 

I use it in the sense of being a more conservative Episcopalian [dislike Rite II in the Book of "Common Prayer," '79; much more of a '28 or Rite I user].