Applying to MFA programs: am I crazy?

Inky

Hi all!

I'm thinking about applying MFA programs in fine art at the ancient age of 40, and am trying to decide whether or not I am insane. : )

I do have a BFA, but I'd gotten away from doing art for many years. I now have a small studio and have been making work pretty seriously and participating in juried shows for the past several years. My primary focus is printmaking, but I also do other works on paper (painting/drawing).

So: would it be nuts to attend grad school for fine art in my early 40s? I'm married, no kids, good health, financially stable, live in New York. My goals would be 1) most importantly, to have a context in which to take my work to a higher level, 2) to learn more about how the art world works, make connections, etc, and 3) to get the credential to teach, in case I should want to (I'm not proud: I'd happily teach at a community college or high school, and I do realize that even those jobs are hard to come by).

I'm just starting to think about this process, so any thoughts, advice, or insight would be highly appreciated!!

Inky

Hi all!

I'm thinking about applying MFA programs in fine art at the ancient age of 40, and am trying to decide whether or not I am insane. : )

I do have a BFA, but I'd gotten away from doing art for many years. I now have a small studio and have been making work pretty seriously and participating in juried shows for the past several years. My primary focus is printmaking, but I also do other works on paper (painting/drawing).

So: would it be nuts to attend grad school for fine art in my early 40s? I'm married, no kids, good health, financially stable, live in New York. My goals would be 1) most importantly, to have a context in which to take my work to a higher level, 2) to learn more about how the art world works, make connections, etc, and 3) to get the credential to teach, in case I should want to (I'm not proud: I'd happily teach at a community college or high school, and I do realize that even those jobs are hard to come by).

I'm just starting to think about this process, so any thoughts, advice, or insight would be highly appreciated!!

Inky

Definitely go for it. Even at 40 it's totally worth the degree and learning experience, but never say in an application or interview that your goals involve teaching. They don't want to hear that. It doesn't matter to them how old you are...some of the grad students at my school have been in their 40's... but they don't want to take students who want the degree in order to become a professor.

Hi Inky,

It sounds like you're in a great position to apply to grad school on a personal as well as professional level. I don't think your age is at all a drawback - you've got a lot of experience with your studio. One thing that older students have mentioned to me is that getting into the groove of school again after taking a break for so long is really difficult at first due to relearning the way things need to get done. But grad school is new to all of us, too! I think your reasons for wanting a degree are solid - go for it!

Edited by qbtacoma

Don't be discouraged by your age. I'm closing in on 48 and applying for my painting MFA. Yes, you'll be older than many of the other students, but I doubt you'll be the only non-traditional student. Your life experience adds to your work and what you'll be able to bring to the classes. Plus, you'll be 42 in two years with or without a degree. Which is better? Good luck!!