Another GRE worry

baldergirl

My GRE sucked: 580 (V), 680(Q), 5.5. Would it get me past the first round if I've a 4.0 ugpa and am currently doing a fully funded Master's at a top UK university? I'm looking at schools ranked in the 20-40 range (Socio-Cultural Anthropology).

If it helps, I think I should have pretty good LORs, a list of academic conferences and some publications...

Or is retaking the GRE a better option (although it's a little late to do so now! :/)

Edited by baldergirl

My GRE sucked: 580 (V), 680(Q), 5.5. Would it get me past the first round if I've a 4.0 ugpa and am currently doing a fully funded Master's at a top UK university? I'm looking at schools ranked in the 20-40 range (Socio-Cultural Anthropology).

If it helps, I think I should have pretty good LORs, a list of academic conferences and some publications...

Or is retaking the GRE a better option (although it's a little late to do so now! :/)

The cutoff for a lot of anthropology programs, if they have one for the GRE, to dump first rounders is 1200- if you're above that, which you are, you should be okay. The verbal is weak, but its not horrible - I've known people with much worse GREs getting into grad school. As long as the rest of your profile is strong, you should be okay.

Okay looks like I got the rankings part wrong? :blink: Anyway I cannot find a 'fit' elsewhere. I'm prepared to take a year off and reapply next year should things not work out...

Yeah the other poster is right, I believe both of those schools are top 10 - esp for grad programs. They are VERY difficult to get into - because they take very few students each year, and hundreds of grad students apply. If you're attending a UK university that's really going to hold weight in the US, and you have a 4.0 in that as well, you might still be okay... those schools tend to look for much higher GRE scores though- I've heard 1400 is what you want to aim for to have a solid chance. HOWEVER - if your fit is perfect and you have rockstar LORs (or theyre friends with someone there) and the rest of your profile looks good (you seem well published, and if you've spoken at conferences thats in your favor too), you could still have a good chance. If you have the time though - to study and improve your verbal, I would do it!!

I'm a Rhodes scholar at Oxford. It's embarrassing to do so badly in the GRE! :unsure: I doubt my recommenders know those people at Michigan/Berkeley in person but they are quite well-known in the field. Both apps are due in about 2 weeks so looks like I won't be able to take them again (the consequence of doing the GRE so late!). I just hope my application won't get thrown out in the first round!! Thanks for the replies!

I'm a Rhodes scholar at Oxford. It's embarrassing to do so badly in the GRE! :unsure: I doubt my recommenders know those people at Michigan/Berkeley in person but they are quite well-known in the field. Both apps are due in about 2 weeks so looks like I won't be able to take them again (the consequence of doing the GRE so late!). I just hope my application won't get thrown out in the first round!! Thanks for the replies!

Come on, don't be silly. You know you're a solid applicant - you're a Rhodes ffs - and at this stage you shouldn't need our acknowledgement to make you more secure about it. Sorry to be harsh, but it's particularly ludicrous to discuss your application getting "thrown out in the first round."

Rhodes scholar at Oxford = don't worry about your GRE scores

Thanks everyone, for the replies. And balderdash, I wasn't trying to be funny in asking whether my applications would be thrown out because of my GRE scores. Contrary to popular belief, Rhodes scholars do stress out when applying as well. ;)