MFA visual arts fully funded please

atelier27

Does any one know of a good info resource for fully funded MFA programs in the visual arts? I am a mixed media artist, mostly 2-D with a mix of traditional and digital skills so I would fit into many types of programs and would prefer something eclectic with a mix of digital and traditional tools. I am already a tenured professor so I am doing this for myself and will only go to something fully funded. There are many sources of info for fully funded MFA programs in writing, but the visual arts info is harder to find. I have found a few programs, but I'm greedy, I want options:) Any area is fine and I am looking for a full residency program.

Edited by atelier27

Does any one know of a good info resource for fully funded MFA programs in the visual arts? I am a mixed media artist, mostly 2-D with a mix of traditional and digital skills so I would fit into many types of programs and would prefer something eclectic with a mix of digital and traditional tools. I am already a tenured professor so I am doing this for myself and will only go to something fully funded. There are many sources of info for fully funded MFA programs in writing, but the visual arts info is harder to find. I have found a few programs, but I'm greedy, I want options:) Any area is fine and I am looking for a full residency program.

Close to you, I hear VCU has very good funding.

I thought this was kind of a rarity? My program had 1/2 tuition scholarships, and that was about as good as it got. When my mother got hers, though, it was a state school, and she was a resident, so it didn't end up costing much.

Thanks Damian, I'll check it out! ...and I'm sending you a cookie for the best answer so far.

Yes, Raverlax. Professor of Art.

Golden Monkey. Definitely a rarity, but not unheard of...many places that do this fly under the radar that's why I am asking. Thanks.

Tulane, and UNC greensboro and I think USC Roski? I am also looking!

Thanks MBgradschool and Michael. Cornell is fully funded with a teaching fellow and Stanford also offers great funding, but is a very expensive area to live. I would prefer an MFA, but am also looking at the option of MIT and an MS which is fully funded if there is a research area through the Media Lab that is relevant...they sometimes explore areas related to visual design. Maybe that will help someone. Good luck.

UC Berkeley's MFA is also fully funded (source), but they only accept about 7 students each year (out of ~125 applicants). I went to an info session for SAIC last weekend and they said that each department can give out one 100% tuition scholarship or two 50% tuition scholarships. With the number of applicants there it's gotta be a long shot, but there is a possibility.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks MBgradschool and Michael. Cornell is fully funded with a teaching fellow and Stanford also offers great funding, but is a very expensive area to live. I would prefer an MFA, but am also looking at the option of MIT and an MS which is fully funded if there is a research area through the Media Lab that is relevant...they sometimes explore areas related to visual design. Maybe that will help someone. Good luck.

If you have any questions about MIT, I can help: I just completed my first term in their MS in Visual Studies in Art, Culture and Technology program.

It is not necessarily fully funded: out of 6 admitted grads this year, 2 got full-ride packages. One of those included a stipend.

USC is also fully funded. I was also accepted to that program last year and was offered a full-ride, but had to make the difficult decision to turn them down for MIT.

CalArts can vary on their funding packages. I was admitted there with a 50% scholarship.

Edited by grad_wannabe

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you have looked into the University of Michigan, but the program is fully funded and you are paid to teach. Another bonus is the fact that you don't have to apply to a specific department, so you are free to combine whatever mediums you see fit. The technology you have available to you is also amazing. To top it all off they give you money to travel anywhere in the world that you want after your first year!

I know this is a super late response, but if you end up waiting one more year I would keep UMich in mind.

Good luck this time around though!

I replied to a post under MFA painting safety schools but thought I should mention it here as well- USC gives full-funding to half of its MFAs and a stipend to the rest. But I guess when you only admit 8 per year you can afford to do that...

Sorry it really does not seem to be working now. I was going to tell you to google PDN Free Tuition. But the entire the link seems broken now even though it comes up in google.

It basically list six schools that are fully funded but it had a professor or an admissions officer speaking about their program.

Anyways the 6 were:

1. University of Arizona

2. Ohio State University

3. University of Notre Dame

4. Indiana University

5. University of Nevada, Las Vegas

6. :/ I forgot the sixth one (been sitting here awhile trying to remember but it won't come to me)

Maybe later the link will work. Something seems to be wrong with PDN today.

Wow, wow, wow. Thank you all! I am sorry I haven't responded as I had been receiving e-mail notification when someone posted and they stopped, so I didn't realize how many people had posted helpful ideas. Thanks again, pursuing suggestions and I'll post if I find anything additional.

Thanks.

I will be checking out VCU shortly. I'll be in touch.

If you end up checking out VCU, I'm here in Richmond and don't mind playing virtual tour guide (completed my BFA in Craft/Material Studies this past spring there).

Thanks.

I am actually waiting to apply as I had some personal loose ends to tie up this past year. SO I definitely will check this out!

I don't know if you have looked into the University of Michigan, but the program is fully funded and you are paid to teach. Another bonus is the fact that you don't have to apply to a specific department, so you are free to combine whatever mediums you see fit. The technology you have available to you is also amazing. To top it all off they give you money to travel anywhere in the world that you want after your first year!

I know this is a super late response, but if you end up waiting one more year I would keep UMich in mind.

Good luck this time around though!

• 4 weeks later...

If you have any questions about MIT, I can help: I just completed my first term in their MS in Visual Studies in Art, Culture and Technology program.

It is not necessarily fully funded: out of 6 admitted grads this year, 2 got full-ride packages. One of those included a stipend.

USC is also fully funded. I was also accepted to that program last year and was offered a full-ride, but had to make the difficult decision to turn them down for MIT.

CalArts can vary on their funding packages. I was admitted there with a 50% scholarship.

Hi grad_wannabe

It's great that you are doing well at MIT. I am wondering from how many applicants they would select the 6 admitted grads for the Art, Culture and Technology program? How about international applicants (I am an international from China, and 6 grad seem a very small class) and their financial support?

I also find that the faculty seems like working with photo and video (also reflected on the curriculum), what's your background anyway?

Many thanks

• 8 months later...

If you get a TA at Rutgers you get full tuition remission + ~25k/year teaching stipend (you have to teach a class each semester). About half an incoming class gets a TA, others can get a combination of part-time lecturer positions/money and scholarship grants to cover costs.