Is it normal to kind of not want to get in?

clashingtime

So, right now I'm kind of on the fence about the whole grad school thing. I know it's something I want to do, but I don't know if I necessarily want to do it right now. I'm feeling really burnt out, and I think in order to effectively embark on another decade-ish of school, I need a year off. I've been pressured by a lot of people (parents, research advisor, etc) to apply places and pursue a PhD and just keep on going, so I have been. If I do get in to my choice school, I'll defer. But if I don't get in, I'll be disappointed, but a little relieved at the same time.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this!

Well grad school is a huge commitment and your heart needs to be in it. But for anthropology people the job market is nonexistent besides being a shovel bum making 8 dollars an hour with just a bachelors. Masters would allow a career in anthropology without a phd.

I feel like this is the way that some of my friends feel. Either that, or they feel relieved that they "missed" deadlines already, so they can't apply. I have one friend who is absolutely miserable about the application process (for like one school!) and really doesn't want to go, but he's really making himself do it because he thinks he'll really regret it if he doesn't apply.

So no, I haven't experienced this, but I've seen plenty of people around me feel the same way (or something similar, at least). There certainly is a lot of pressure from people to apply to grad school immediately (which I think is silly). Deferring sounds like a good option, though.

I had a similar experience because I did not feel that I was well prepared for graduate school in social psychology because I didn't delve into my research interests enough. I took a year off and used this time to finish up my thesis project and retake the GRE. In retrospect, I'm glad I took a year off to feel more confident about what I want to study, but I think I would be happy taking even another year off. My undergraduate career was very hurried—I completed three bachelors degrees with a high GPA in just three years after graduating high school. While I gained a lot from my classes, I became so stressed about getting top grades, doing well on the GRE, and getting into graduate school that I managed to lose my ability to focus intently on things I was interested in. I thought I would focus well without the structure, but it didn't work as planned.

If you have a good idea of what you want to study in your discipline and have adequate time to prepare applications, I would consider applying. If not, I think you could really benefit from taking a break and deciding what areas of research interest you.

In my opinion, if you are having serious doubts about your desire and motivation to start a PhD, then it probably isn't the right time for you. I've had plenty of friends who were 100% committed to earning their PhD and still burned out in the process, so I can't imagine starting the process and already doubting whether it was a good path for you. Whatever you decide - best of luck.

I will be honest. Do I think I could easily find happiness in another occupation? Yes. Do I feel like I need a Ph.D. in life to be successful? No, I'm fairly resourceful.

However, do I want to obtain a Ph.D to become an applied researcher? Ya. I'd be happy doing this line of work and it would challenge me greatly. I also feel like I am pretty darn good at research.

I have a few passions in life and I don't feel guilty that I can't rank them enough to say one is better than the other. I also don't think it will make me an ineffective grad student or researcher to have other interests. If anything I feel like being able to keep my feet in many domains makes me a more creative and useful person. Maybe what I am hinting at here is I don't adhere to the "Ph.D/Academia or die" mindset that can be prevalent here at times. I'm wondering if that will change when I am finally in a program? Sometimes here I can feel like an outsider as a result of the above, so I can feel you a bit here. However, I'm pretty excited about starting a program ASAP.

I think it is a personal thing. I wouldn't freak out.

Edited by musicforfun

I should say the only part of grad school I find completely arresting is the debt I've complied in undergrad (50K). I know I won't add to that much, hopefully not at all, via new loans for grad school. However, the thought of interest compiling over the course of 5 years and then hopefully getting a real job scares the hell out of me. It is the only part of the process that made me think I might not want to go.

Two things:

First I also took time off. I am in my second year of post undergrad research and it was exactly what I needed. I wasn't sure where to apply or what I wanted at first and now I definitely do.

To musicforfun, when you are in graduate school you can defer your student loans. I got the chance to do it now since I technically have a graduate fellowship at my job. That way no interest will accrue while you are in school! Hope that makes you feel better!