Did I just receive an unofficial offer?

coffeecoffeebuzzbuzz

Ok, I am super excited, yet slightly confused as to if I just received an unofficial acceptance offer or just a really positive heads up email. Basically I just received word from one of the professors directly that he "put a note in my file" saying he wanted me to join his lab. Is this an unofficial way of saying I am in? or just a way of saying he wants me before the application committee judges my application? It sound like I am at least past the first hurdle (grad application office) because my info was passed to the department but am not sure what happens next or how much his vote sways decisions. It is way way too early for any solid letters of acceptance or specifics of money, but I would like to think of this as being good news. Any feedback?

Ok, I am super excited, yet slightly confused as to if I just received an unofficial acceptance offer or just a really positive heads up email. Basically I just received word from one of the professors directly that he "put a note in my file" saying he wanted me to join his lab. Is this an unofficial way of saying I am in? or just a way of saying he wants me before the application committee judges my application? It sound like I am at least past the first hurdle (grad application office) because my info was passed to the department but am not sure what happens next or how much his vote sways decisions. It is way way too early for any solid letters of acceptance or specifics of money, but I would like to think of this as being good news. Any feedback?

It probably depends on how the committee/school does things. It may mean the professor is vouching for you but you still have to get approval from the committee. That is my guess. From what I have gathered, at some schools/in some departments, professors have different amounts of power in their ability to make choices about their incoming student(s).

It is definitely good news either way, so congrats!

Edited by A. sesquipedale

I don't think it's an offer (unless he has a considerable amount of influence over admissions), but this is still really good. At the very least, I think it means that when the admissions committee is debating about who to accept, he'll fight for you. That's great!

Biology :)

I actually met the prof this summer while he was traveling in my region. We had lunch and coffee together (and talked for almost five hours!). Not an interview in the normal sense, but enough to know he is a very nice fellow.

Yay! I am excited...even if I am confused as to what to make of it. :D happy!

Edited by coffeecoffeebuzzbuzz

If you were in my department, it would mean you were in...but as others have said, it depends how departments work.

If you were in my department, it would mean you were in...but as others have said, it depends how departments work.

In my department, you wouldn't necessarily be in - it depends on whether the prof in question is allowed to take a new student this year, which depends on how many other profs want to take new students and the relative sizes of their labs. So, good sign but not definitive.

Biology :)

I actually met the prof this summer while he was traveling in my region. We had lunch and coffee together (and talked for almost five hours!). Not an interview in the normal sense, but enough to know he is a very nice fellow.

Yay! I am excited...even if I am confused as to what to make of it. :D happy!

Great! what school was it? in my department, profs do get final say, however, the department decides who makes it through the first round. if you meet the avg GPA and GRE scores, its a pretty good sign you're in =) congrats

It is looking more like the magic eight ball is pointing towards a "yes" I am unofficially admitted...but my application still has to do the department rounds first so no celebrating or doing a little dance for at least another month! :P ooohh I am excited...

Edited by coffeecoffeebuzzbuzz