Do you have a Plan B?

qbtacoma

If I don't get accepted into a PhD program this year I know I'll just try again next year. But as for back up plans to get me through this year until application season starts up again, I have a few.

1) Try to get into a Masters program doing research similar to what I want to do for a PhD

2) Get a medical masters to be able to work in an artificial reproduction/infertility clinic

3) Try to find a job in industry or just another lab from where I am now

4) Find a boyfriend with a business degree so I can open up my own super cute cupcake bakery/maid cafe!!

And then of course there's Marry Rich and Win the Lottery. I don't think I'd make a very good crack whore.... But maybe for a little extra income I'd be a cam girl. Especially like this girl!

Seems simple enough. Eat fruit while wearing cute pigtails? I think I can handle that.

And then of course there's Marry Rich and Win the Lottery. I don't think I'd make a very good crack whore.... But maybe for a little extra income I'd be a cam girl. Especially like this girl!

Seems simple enough. Eat fruit while wearing cute pigtails? I think I can handle that.

I'm sure watching that made my IQ drop ~20 pts.

Especially like this girl!

Ack, as one with TMJ, that made me cringe. If I tried to do anything like that (which no one would ever pay for anyway,) my jaw would dislocate, and I'd get another trip to the ER to have it put back in.

I wonder how much she gets paid to do that?

• 4 weeks later...

I think that it is a wonderful thing to find what you are passionate about and go after it with everything that you have. But I also think that it is important to prepare yourself for the best and the worst. I don't think that means taking the logical route and do something that you do not love, but at least mentally prepare yourself that the economical state could affect you. I think the hit is much harder if you do not keep that as a possibility in your mind. That goes for everyone, even the well-established, experienced, extremely intelligent people in the world. You truly can never be sure what will come your way, and it is smart to protect yourself from being completely taken off guard by what life might throw at you.

• 3 weeks later...

I have several plan Bs:

Hilarious only semi-serious ones:

- Wedding planner (only funny if you know me)

- Motivational speaker

Serious ones:

- Try to work for a labour union

- Go get a graduate degree in urban planning and try to become an urban planner

- Open a pizza shop

- Open a cheese shop

I did your plan B in the reverse order! On the advice of parents and friends, I was convinced going for an English PhD would be a difficult life, and went for a masters in urban planning instead. The program was horrible, full of technocrats and dry bureaucratic babble. And the real estate guys we had to deal with--these thick-necked Aryan scumbags in the neighboring department who looked like they'd think nothing of stomping on your head if you turned your back for too long. Now I'm starting a masters program in English instead, only a year later, and I couldn't be more relieved. Trust me, being an urban planner isn't all it's cracked up to be.

My number one Plan B is to move to DC and get a government job...but then again, the environment for obtaining said government job seems as competitive as getting into a PhD program. So I'm having issues deciding what's best (and feasible) for me. :unsure: