Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

Any of the Chicago admits in Theory? Seems that only comparative folk got accepted so far.

Also, is Berkeley *still* sending out acceptances? Anyone claiming the comparative acceptance from today?

It seems that Berkeley didn't send a bunch of acceptances at a time, or there should have been more posted.

Any of the Chicago admits in Theory? Seems that only comparative folk got accepted so far.

Also, is Berkeley *still* sending out acceptances? Anyone claiming the comparative acceptance from today?

I guess. I haven't seen IR for either of them.

Psh, who wants to live in Chicago anyway.

I like Chicago unsure.gif

I'm sort of beginning to regret applying to so many schools, in the sense that it's going to feel A LOT worse if I don't get in anywhere. If I had only applied to a few, I could always tell myself that I would've gotten in if I had applied to a few more. But if I'm rejected from all eleven schools this time, I really have to rethink what I want to do with my career.

I'm sort of beginning to regret applying to so many schools, in the sense that it's going to feel A LOT worse if I don't get in anywhere. If I had only applied to a few, I could always tell myself that I would've gotten in if I had applied to a few more. But if I'm rejected from all eleven schools this time, I really have to rethink what I want to do with my career.

I'm thinking exactly the opposite. I really regret not applying to more than 7. I can think of one or two more that would have been a decent fit. With more schools, I'd have a better chance of getting in *somewhere*....right?

I'm thinking exactly the opposite. I really regret not applying to more than 7. I can think of one or two more that would have been a decent fit. With more schools, I'd have a better chance of getting in *somewhere*....right?

That's exactly my point. If, say, you had applied to one or two more, and you were still rejected from every one, wouldn't it be a lot worse than knowing (or telling yourself) that you could have gotten in if only you had?

I think that the hope of "there's always next year" is greater if you knew you could have done more, than, as in my case, I feel like I've done all I could this time, and would really feel like I'm just not cut out for this.

Well, it looks like it's another rejection for me, then. Psh, who wants to live in Chicago anyway.

it's my understanding that last year, due to budget restraints, Chicago cut their admits in half. I doubt much has changed since last year. I'd be willing to bet that it would be easier to get into Harvard than Chicago at this point.

I just posted my rejection from Ohio State. Checked on website half an hour ago, said nothing, just checked, says not admitted.

it's my understanding that last year, due to budget restraints, Chicago cut their admits in half. I doubt much has changed since last year. I'd be willing to bet that it would be easier to get into Harvard than Chicago at this point.

I really wish this kind of information were openly available, and that departments were upfront about their budget cuts as it affects their admissions process.

EDIT: On another note, my MA graduation was finally approved by the Faculty. It was simply procedural, since the requirements were satisfied a long time ago, but at least it provides a little joy.

Edited by wtncffts

That's exactly my point. If, say, you had applied to one or two more, and you were still rejected from every one, wouldn't it be a lot worse than knowing (or telling yourself) that you could have gotten in if only you had?

I think that the hope of "there's always next year" is greater if you knew you could have done more, than, as in my case, I feel like I've done all I could this time, and would really feel like I'm just not cut out for this.

Hmm, I do see your point. There are still some things I feel I could have done better, so that gives me more hope for next year if I (God forbid) strike out this year.

But an important thing to remember is that how much effort you put into it is just one factor. I'm pretty confident in saying that at this level, most of us are competent in our fields and could do solid research (especially if you take into account the self-selection of a website geared toward uber-nerds). As a result, once you get past the handful of obvious super-stars, there's a pretty significant element of chance to it for the rest of us. Who was on the committee this year, what the department's financial situation was, etc etc potentially ad infinitum. When the rejection letters say that it was difficult to choose from so many qualified candidates, they are not necessarily lying. So not only do you need to put forward your best effort, you need to also have that effort align with favourable circumstances. Because of that, I'd say that you shouldn't give up even if you strike out. Try again to make sure you account for that factor.

Hmm, I do see your point. There are still some things I feel I could have done better, so that gives me more hope for next year if I (God forbid) strike out this year.

But an important thing to remember is that how much effort you put into it is just one factor. I'm pretty confident in saying that at this level, most of us are competent in our fields and could do solid research (especially if you take into account the self-selection of a website geared toward uber-nerds). As a result, once you get past the handful of obvious super-stars, there's a pretty significant element of chance to it for the rest of us. Who was on the committee this year, what the department's financial situation was, etc etc potentially ad infinitum. When the rejection letters say that it was difficult to choose from so many qualified candidates, they are not necessarily lying. So not only do you need to put forward your best effort, you need to also have that effort align with favourable circumstances. Because of that, I'd say that you shouldn't give up even if you strike out. Try again to make sure you account for that factor.

There's no use worrying about stochastic processes! At least, that's what I try to tell myself.

Edited by slacktivist

Thanks. I certainly realize the element of 'chance' in this whole process, and in a way I guess it's comforting. It's also somewhat discouraging, though, because if there's that much 'luck' involved, there's really no assurances were I to try again that it would be any better. I think I'm being overly pessimistic right now, and just need to think about something else, but it's hard.