Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

Congrats on everyone who got into OSU!

What field did you guys apply for, btw? Because I just see American and Comparative on the results page (along with 3 other results who don't identify their fields), and I was just curious about whether IR acceptances have gone out as well.

Congrats on everyone who got into OSU!

What field did you guys apply for, btw? Because I just see American and Comparative on the results page (along with 3 other results who don't identify their fields), and I was just curious about whether IR acceptances have gone out as well.

I applied for Formal Theory

Currently a visiting fellow at the Hoover institute at Stanford and I don't know where he will be after that. Chicago denied him at the 3rd year review stage. The consensus is that he has lots of interesting research, but none of it was published yet.

I read this last night, quite drunk, and was like !!!! because he's one of the few people I thought would be a potential supervisor.

That sucks though, isn't this the academic equivalent of a professional athlete being released into free agency?

Edited by balderdash

Good morning, everyone. For those who got accepted to UCLA, would you mind sharing your subfield? I still haven't heard anything from them ....

And also, scrolling through the results page, I saw someone posted that they had been accepted by Columbia. I can 100% guarantee that that is a troll.

Methods and Formal Theory

Good morning, everyone. For those who got accepted to UCLA, would you mind sharing your subfield? I still haven't heard anything from them ....

And also, scrolling through the results page, I saw someone posted that they had been accepted by Columbia. I can 100% guarantee that that is a troll.

Comparative

I got rejected from Michigan today. I was one of the many who were massacred lol. I know Ohio state, Wisconsin, and UCLA have been sending out decisions. Have not heard from any of those schools yet. I take that as a good sign.

Same here on the UMich reject. Makes we worry about the programs like HYP--which conventional wisdom says are more selective than UMich. But we shall see...

One thing about Michigan is it's emphasis in the field on quantitative research and specialization, or so I've heard. My past research and interests are far more qualitative, so perhaps that hurt me with Michigan's program.

Same here on the UMich reject. Makes we worry about the programs like HYP--which conventional wisdom says are more selective than UMich. But we shall see...

One thing about Michigan is it's emphasis in the field on quantitative research and specialization, or so I've heard. My past research and interests are far more qualitative, so perhaps that hurt me with Michigan's program.

Yeah, I had thought about applying to Michigan until one of my professors asked if I wanted to be strictly quantitative and told me that the quant methods requirements were more than most departments.

I saw a few CU Boulder admits but haven't heard anything since. Anyone know if that was just a few top picks? Another round of acceptances coming?

I also applied to CU and have not heard anything. I believe last year they sent out a handful of acceptances to their top choices and invited them to a visit. After the visit they go back and fill in the spots of people who decide to go elsewhere and any other spots they may have. Not sure if that is how they are doing it this year but I think that is what they did based on what I have read on previous posts.

Also, if anyone gets any info on Vandy please share.

BTW, do you guys think it is common for a school to offer to pay all your expenses to come to admit day, or is that a sign that they really want you?

Pretty normal, from what I hear. However you shouldn't feel bad; the fact they admitted you is a good sign they really want you!

Also, if anyone gets any info on Vandy please share.

hey woopig, i can claim one of the vandy spots--a prof called me last week and told me my acceptance was an unofficial notice, but the graduate school will have formal notification letters out in a few weeks. so here's hoping you get some good news!

Congratulations to everyone that's been admitted! For those of us still waiting - has anyone heard from NYU? The department website FAQ states "admissions offers are typically made by mid-February" which of course means I'm freaking out. But after much obsessive reading, I haven't seen anything posted here yet. Anyone?

Congratulations to everyone that's been admitted! For those of us still waiting - has anyone heard from NYU? The department website FAQ states "admissions offers are typically made by mid-February" which of course means I'm freaking out. But after much obsessive reading, I haven't seen anything posted here yet. Anyone?

NYU hasn't admitted anyone yet, but in the past has done so in the second week of February. So you should likely be hearing soon.

hey woopig, i can claim one of the vandy spots--a prof called me last week and told me my acceptance was an unofficial notice, but the graduate school will have formal notification letters out in a few weeks. so here's hoping you get some good news!

Thanks for the info. Do you mind telling me what your field is?

Vandy is a bit of a reach for me but I have some connections there so I thought I would toss an app out and see what happens. I figure if I can at least get on the waitlist I may have a decent chance. Seems like most of the people Vandy accepts are people that apply there as a safety and end up going elsewhere. Crossing my fingers for a miracle!

Thanks for the info. Do you mind telling me what your field is?

Vandy is a bit of a reach for me but I have some connections there so I thought I would toss an app out and see what happens. I figure if I can at least get on the waitlist I may have a decent chance. Seems like most of the people Vandy accepts are people that apply there as a safety and end up going elsewhere. Crossing my fingers for a miracle!

Best of luck to you!