Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to claim the University of Michigan Ann Arbor acceptance uploaded to the survey. Just received an e-mail and I'm mostly trying to lower my pulse.

I'm one of today's Stanford rejectees, and was pretty convinced that I'm on my way to an 0 of 11. So here's one for everyone feeling down - just one acceptance and the feeling changes completely. Good luck to all (including me, 9 more left).

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to claim the University of Michigan Ann Arbor acceptance uploaded to the survey. Just received an e-mail and I'm mostly trying to lower my pulse.

I'm one of today's Stanford rejectees, and was pretty convinced that I'm on my way to an 0 of 11. So here's one for everyone feeling down - just one acceptance and the feeling changes completely. Good luck to all (including me, 9 more left).

Congratulations!

I've been incredibly fortunate. Stanford, Duke and Michigan are the only places I've heard from so far and they have all had good news for me. Got a few more pending but I'm already feeling so overwhelmed.

And its actually woman. bob loblaw is just a reference to the greatest show ever: arrested development :)

Damn, aren't you like 3/3 on acceptances so far, man? Where have you been accepted to by now?

I've been incredibly fortunate. Stanford, Duke and Michigan are the only places I've heard from so far and they have all had good news for me. Got a few more pending but I'm already feeling so overwhelmed.

And its actually woman. bob loblaw is just a reference to the greatest show ever: arrested development :)

Actually I caught the reference, I just call my friends man, son, dude, guys, etc regardless of gender... but apologies if you're not a fan of this.

Anyway, congratulations. You're collecting offers like a boss. I wish you the best with the rest.

Do you mind telling us which school gave you another acceptance?

I'm not sure if I received early notice, in which case it may be better to hold off until others are notified, just in case. So, I'll hold off a little on that but I will note it when I see it pop up. It's a public university in the southern part of the US (I only applied to schools in the south and west, besides Pitt, due to weather). If you want, I could PM you the school.

I joined this board last year around admissions time to scout and whatnot and there was some lady-type then that got in a Harvard, Princeton, MarsU, etc., etc., too.

In general, the conventional wisdom about fit seems right, and most of even the best candidates only get into one or two of the super-competitive schools. It would be really interesting to know what drives the results for the couple of applicants a year that really buck that trend.

Whatever it is, great work, Baio.

I received my first rejection today (Michigan.) I applied to 8 more schools, but after being rejected my Michigan I feel like no other school will accept me. My undergrad (in a completely unrelated field) is from another school in Michigan and I thought this school was an ok (not perfect) fit.

Clarification: after my fabulous BS in Useless Studies I did get an MA in political economy from a prestigious school, so it's not like I am crazy. At least I don't think so.

0 for 3 now after Michigan. Getting my ass kicked and thinking I may have vastly overestimated my own abilities.

I hope that's not true for either of us. I wrote in one of my essays about the Dunning-Krueger effect, which basically says that people always underestimate how incompetent they are. I used that example to explain the really long, winding path that I am taking to a PhD. Now I am hoping they didn't just read that and go "Oh! You definitely suffer from this! Good to know there's a name for your problem!".

Any way, good luck with the rest of your applications. I don't know you, but I want to say that I am sure you will get in somewhere you like.

sorry didn't mean to seem uptight, i was just kidding around. tone on anonymous internet postings etc etc

um how about a little levity: obama bring back arrested development

my personal favorite protest sign

Actually I caught the reference, I just call my friends man, son, dude, guys, etc regardless of gender... but apologies if you're not a fan of this.

Anyway, congratulations. You're collecting offers like a boss. I wish you the best with the rest.