Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

12. But in terms of competitiveness and fit, Northwestern and UCSD were the most likely. The chances that Harvard or Princeton will magically pick me up with no love from either of those two is razor thin.

On the other hand, say Harvard does take you and the other two didn't. Statistically, it's not that much different, just a different order.

Oh well. That's what I'm telling myself at least after getting rejected so far to all the "big name" schools.

Well, I'm relying on my pre-application notes, not speaking from the top of my head.

For a couple of reasons (ignorance; past investments is education) I looked up a couple of rankings of comparative departments and made a list of the top 30 schools by reputation. I then read every faculty member's profile at those schools, including skimming the research I could find for profs that seemed like decent adviser options, and gave every program a point score.

When application time came, I asked myself how much money I was willing to spend on application fees and went down the list until I ran out.

This approach is clearly not perfect. I can already think of two schools I should have swapped in for those I did choose.

Out of curiosity, how do you know enough about the departments to talk about fit? No hostility, I'm genuinely curious because I can only talk about 2-3 departments, let alone lots and lots and lots.

I'm not answering for Gopher, only giving my own $.02 because I feel well-versed on the schools to which I applied.

I started by working backwards from researcher to school. Whose research do I find most interesting and relevant to my own? That left me mainly with big name guys.

After the obvious researchers were identified, I tried to identity faculty whose work I had yet to read. I looked through the CVs of all the faculty in my subfield at programs with good placement records. I pulled those with articles that seemed related to my work. Then I read the abstracts to those articles. I filtered out those that weren't actually related. Then I read the complete article if I thought it was indeed tied to my work.

While it was quite tedious, I applied well aware of who researches what at each university. In my mind, it was imperative to know fit when crafting the SOP.

Edited by Tufnel

I'm not answering for Gopher, only giving my own $.02 because I feel well-versed on the schools to which I applied.

I worked backwards from researcher to school. Whose research do I find most interesting and relevant to my own? Then, I read through the CVs of all the faculty in my subfield at programs with good placement records. I pulled those with articles that seemed related to my work. Then I read the abstracts to those articles. I filtered out those that weren't actually related. Then I read the complete article if I thought it was indeed tied to my work. It seriously took me forever but I know who researches what. In my mind, it is imperative to know fit when crafting the SOP.

Wow, that is quite a bit more work than I put into it. Eeek. Perhaps that accounts for my low acceptance levels! Good ideas for next time around.

While it was quite tedious, I applied well aware of who researchers what at each university. In my mind, it was imperative to know fit when crafting the SOP.

Not that anyone should do anything that I did, but probably 1/3 of my SOP talked about faculty research interests and how those lines of inquiry would inform my own. The notes I took on interesting faculty were essential to making that happen.

Wow, that is quite a bit more work than I put into it. Eeek. Perhaps that accounts for my low acceptance levels! Good ideas for next time around.

My application is far from perfect. Parts of it are very strong and parts of it are very weak. I saw the SOP as an opportunity to prove that the strong parts reflected my abilities and that the weak parts were aberrations. Plus, I'm a little neurotic.

Hmm. Pulling for ya man.

I appreciate that, but what I will really need are two things:

1) help sorting through the cost/benefit of doing a Master's and re-applying to Ph.D. programs; and, should I go through with that,

2) contacts already in Ph.D. programs that can kick off my networking while doing the Master's.

Not that anyone should do anything that I did, but probably 1/3 of my SOP talked about faculty research interests and how those lines of inquiry would inform my own. The notes I took on interesting faculty were essential to making that happen.

I did the same thing, though it was perhaps only 20% of my SOP. In my opinion, it was one of the better decisions I made.

1) help sorting through the cost/benefit of doing a Master's and re-applying to Ph.D. programs; and, should I go through with that,

2) contacts already in Ph.D. programs that can kick off my networking while doing the Master's.

Yes, the networking is the hard part. I wonder if it's a faux pas to reach out to people in schools that have already rejected you, i.e. "Hey! Your school already rejected me this year, but perhaps we could talk for next year when you might perchance have the opportunity to reject me again?"

I, for one, still don't really understand what 'fit' means; it might mean something different from the adcomm's end than our end, and there all sorts of idiosyncrasies. I think fit in a poli sci or social science department is qualitatively different than that in the sciences; poli sci faculty generally don't have their own 'labs' through which the entire grad school process is experienced, including funding, publishing, etc. We're not forced to work on very specific research projects by our POI. At least I don't think this is the case, and it certainly wasn't when I did my MA.

So, take heart, I'm still pulling for you for Harvard et al. It's not uncommon to be accepted to a 'better' school while being rejected from a 'lesser' one.

Well, if things don't turn around, I'll do what I can. Come this fall, I can definitely be the latter (a contact in a program, that is).

Regarding the former, I think it comes down to your strengths and weaknesses. From what I understand, it's not going to do you much good if you have a stellar GPA and good research experience. If you lack the first or both, perhaps it's a good choice. If you only lack research experience, there are better (free) ways to get it.

But I say wait a couple weeks. You've only received 50% of your decisions. Let it ride and if it doesn't end well, then regroup.

No worries, you'll get there.

Yes, the networking is the hard part. I wonder if it's a faux pas to reach out to people in schools that have already rejected you, i.e. "Hey! Your school already rejected me this year, but perhaps we could talk for next year when you might perchance have the opportunity to reject me again?"

If you're genuinely confused about how best to spend the interim year, I wouldn't hesitate.

wtn,

You're probably right about fit; there's just no telling. It's hard to ignore that some places felt like home. I think there is a snowball's chance that some Havard adcomm will like something UCSD's didn't. In terms of "lesser" schools rejecting students that get in "better" places, I think a lot of that comes down to the lesser school not wanting inflated admissions numbers. I'm neither the candidate nor Northwestern the school for those shenanigans.

Regarding the former, I think it comes down to your strengths and weaknesses. From what I understand, it's not going to do you much good if you have a stellar GPA and good research experience. If you lack the first or both, perhaps it's a good choice. If you only lack research experience, there are better (free) ways to get it.

In terms of improving my application, it's a no-brainer. I studied theatre in undergrad before going to law school. I took very little polisci and backed into my research interest through political development knowledge that comes from the legal world. My SoP and ability to gauge programs good for my interests were naive; I've never published in political science or researched anything other than law. None of my letters came from political scientists, and one of the closest (an economist) bitched out at the last minute, leaving me submitting an extra letter from a grad student.

But I'm an attorney from a great school. I have debt. My job pays very well and I turn 30 in a couple weeks. At what point do I cash in this pipe dream and start living like a responsible adult.

Also, check your PMs.

But I'm an attorney from a great school. I have debt. My job pays very well and I turn 30 in a couple weeks. At what point do I cash in this pipe dream and start living like a responsible adult.

Personally, I think living like a responsible adult very much includes following your dreams. On the other hand, I don't have much debt staring me down.

Do share? The free part is appealing.

There are dozens of ways. Check with your university, past professors, etc. If you have skills and are willing to work for free, you are essentially an additional RA. Many universities have programs that allow students to work with professors, particularly if that school doesn't have a grad program.

Have any admits heard anything from UVA regarding funding, or, well, anything, really? An admit weekend?

I'm not wholly comfortable getting in their face regarding money a mere day after they sent out responses, but I haven't heard anything from the department, yet - just the grad school.

I haven't actually heard anything yet myself, just the website message. I imagine some sort of email/USPS message from the department is forthcoming. I do, however, have a good friend who goes to UVA (undergrad) and was also accepted for the PhD. He told me that a UVA prof told him to expect to hear about money within the next two weeks. Apparently, though, they let people know about money in waves rather than all at once.