Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

I am in real danger of going 0-11. The biggest poli sci failure of the season?

Na, the biggest poli sci fail is someone who is too scared to apply--you'll learn from your mistakes and do better next year, having a stronger SOP, perhaps a slightly different school selection, etc. and that's if no school comes through.

I had a spreadsheet.

I just stopped filling it out after the crush of acceptances came and went. I check in here a couple times a day out of habit, but I don't even really have any residual anxiety (even about Cornell).

I am in real danger of going 0-11. The biggest poli sci failure of the season?

I agree with firefly, but even if he's wrong I'll go 0-12 on Ph.D. programs, so you're still not the coolest loser.

Edited by GopherGrad

I had one.

I just stopped filling it out after the crush of acceptances came and went. I check in here a couple times a day out of habit, but I don't even really have any residual anxiety (even about Cornell).

I had one, too. But the red highlighting for rejections was getting a little overwhelming. Besides, what's to manage about my lack of options at this point? :)

OK, just got the rejection e-mail from Berkeley.

I have a simple piece of paper with the schools I applied to, where I write REJECT in big capital letters beside the appropriate schools.

Does it tell you to check their website, or is it just a straight-up e-mail?

Just an e-mail from Janet Newhall:

I write with regret to inform you that you have not been admitted for

graduate study at UC Berkeley's Department of Political Science.

We received hundreds of applications for an extremely small number of

places in the program. The pool of applicants was extraordinarily

strong this year and we were therefore unable to accept many candidates

with outstanding qualifications.

Your supplemental application materials will be retained for two years

should you decide to reapply. The application for Fall 2011 will be

available on-line in September, 2010, at http://www.grad.berkeley.edu.

We thank you for your interest in Berkeley and wish you the very best of

luck in your future plans.

Sincerely,

J. Nicholas Ziegler

Associate Professor & Chair, Graduate Admissions Committee, 2010

Gah! Nothing here. Is that a good sign?

I don't want to say no, but the e-mail is individualized (notwithstanding the generic content), i.e. addressed specifically to me, so I don't think they're mass e-mailing. Thus, the sender is probably making her way through a list.

I don't want to say no, but the e-mail is individualized (notwithstanding the generic content), i.e. addressed specifically to me, so I don't think they're mass e-mailing. Thus, the sender is probably making her way through a list.

Well, that could be. I do have a last name that is further down the alphabet. But individualizing is pretty easy with ConstantContact or some such.

Well, that could be. I do have a last name that is further down the alphabet. But individualizing is pretty easy with ConstantContact or some such.

Yes, that's true. I'm assuming this from the fact that some people got rejections earlier than me (I'm around the middle of the alphabet), instead of simultaneously. Still, I'm crossing my fingers for you! Here's hoping for good news.

Yes, that's true. I'm assuming this from the fact that some people got rejections earlier than me (I'm around the middle of the alphabet), instead of simultaneously. Still, I'm crossing my fingers for you! Here's hoping for good news.

Well, I doubt that they'll suddenly mail me a rejection, but hey — maybe I'm on the wait list?!

Well, I doubt that they'll suddenly mail me a rejection, but hey — maybe I'm on the wait list?!

I got the same rejection letter as above. You know the best part? It talks about the application for 2011 (which we already filled out...) being available last year...meaning they just recopied last year's form letter. Quality.

I got the same rejection letter as above. You know the best part? It talks about the application for 2011 (which we already filled out...) being available last year...meaning they just recopied last year's form letter. Quality.

So, technically, we're not rejected for 2011 class smile.gif

So, technically, we're not rejected for 2011 class smile.gif

True! Maybe we should just show up on admit day and see what they say :)

"Your letter was for last year, so I just assumed you were letting me know what a possible rejection would say in abstract, if I were to get rejected, which clearly you didn't want to do. How thoughtful of you."

Ah my smiles turn to frowns