Please help me decide where else to apply

B.E.G.

Hi everyone!

I am applying to California M.Ed and M.A.T. programs for secondary education, English, for Summer and Fall admission, 2011. However, I have only three programs on my list right now (Stanford, USC and UCLA) and I'm feeling like I need to add at least one or two more.

To give some background info, I'm a recent graduate of the University of Chicago Law School. However, law has never been my passion - kind of got pushed into it - and I've always wanted to teach.

I graduated from Boston University a few years ago with a BA in English and Philosophy, minor in Spanish, magna with College Honors and Distinction in English. I did two thesis papers, one in English and one in Philosophy. I was super involved in a lot of Pre-Law organizations in major leadership roles.

Since I graduated from UChicago, I've been working as a volunteer lawyer for a non-profit in my hometown, I'm starting work as a substitute teacher this month, and I also judge high school debate meets. I'm going to begin volunteering at an after school English and Math tutoring program at an elementary school beginning in January.

I have four recommenders so far - two are English professors (one is my thesis advisor), one is my Philosophy thesis advisor, and one is my supervisor from a summer job at a Japanese law firm in Tokyo (I did a lot of English tutoring while I was there for foreign attorneys who would be taking the TOEFL and applying to US law programs). I can also get my Legal Writing professor to write me a rec as well but I haven't decided on whether I should or not.

I took the GRE already - 690 verbal, 5.5 Analytical Writing, and sadly, only a 540 I believe on quantitative. I'm signed up to take the CBEST and the CSET English in January.

So with all this said....where else should I apply? I missed the deadline for Berkeley, unfortunately, and I definitely want to apply only to California schools since I plan to become certified and teach there.

I'm also applying to Teach for America.

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

-B.E.G.

Edited by B.E.G.