Social Psychology Application Thread 2010-2011

A. sesquipedale

I spoke with Sommers, I am fairly certain Maddox is taking a student but I am not sure about Ambady. I got an email within the last week directing me to the website for their decision but the actual decision did not appear on the website until today.

Good luck!

I also applied for Ambady and haven't heard anything from Tufts. This waiting period is making me anxious.

I spoke with Sommers, I am fairly certain Maddox is taking a student but I am not sure about Ambady. I got an email within the last week directing me to the website for their decision but the actual decision did not appear on the website until today.

Good luck!

Thanks. That helps a little as I also put down Sommers. But Ambady was my primary POI. I hope I hear something soon. Do you know if they do interviews?

(based on past posts on the results page) seems like they dont. i think some profs might do phone interview however.

Tufts already accepted some students, my guess is that depending on what happens with them, other people will be waitlisted and maybe admitted later

i know not all applicants use gradcafe, but ive only seen one acceptance for Tufts and it was in Jan...do you know the people who got accepted? do you know if they applied to Dr.Ambady?

Tufts already accepted some students, my guess is that depending on what happens with them, other people will be waitlisted and maybe admitted later

i might have missed it, but anyone know if princeton has already sent out acceptances for the social program??

they interviewed people last Friday. my prof (in cog psych), as far as i know, has not extended any offer. so the answer is, maybe not. sorry if that wasnt too helpful!

thanks! actually, i just got an email from a prof there, and she said that they just finalized decisions and the graduate program will be sending out emails soon.

i'm not expecting anything, i'm sure they've already let the accepted students know :(

they interviewed people last Friday. my prof (in cog psych), as far as i know, has not extended any offer. so the answer is, maybe not. sorry if that wasnt too helpful!

Edited by socpsy_123

Shoutout to random submission in Results: Person who heard from U of AZ - how did you hear?

(To clarify, did you initiate the email or did they?)

I didn't post that, but I do know that they did their interview weekend last weekend. I heard that they will not be accepting anyone who didn't interview.

Shoutout to random submission in Results: Person who heard from U of AZ - how did you hear?

(To clarify, did you initiate the email or did they?)

Yea that was me. I went to the interview last weekend and then my POI emailed me today saying that although I was qualified for the position, the admissions committee thought that my research interests were not a good fit for the social program. I'm not mad at all because I totally agree that my interests didn't match my POI's as well as I thought they did when I applied. That said, there were 2 and in one case 3 prospective students per POI at the interview weekend. Sorry I don't know what they will do if all the people they brought out for the interview decline admission.

random question: is anyone else wait-listing for tufts? also, what are your thoughts on being in this position? because the competition is so fierce, should i interpret this as a long-shot?

and i'm sure i'm not the only one to say this, but this forum is awesome and has been helping me deal with this nerve-wracking process!! wish you all the best.

Thanks for responding! That adds another school to mentally cross off the list...I really just wish *any* of them would give me any sort of news!! I'd even take a rejection right now.

Edited by socpsy_123

I don't have any info specifically in relation to the Tufts waiting list but in relation to wait lists in general. Obviously people do get accepted off the waiting list from time to time but there may be several people on that wait list, so it is hard to know how good your chances are. This is my 3rd application season and I have been placed on the waiting list at at least 2 schools each season but have yet to receive an actual admit.

random question: is anyone else wait-listing for tufts? also, what are your thoughts on being in this position? because the competition is so fierce, should i interpret this as a long-shot?

and i'm sure i'm not the only one to say this, but this forum is awesome and has been helping me deal with this nerve-wracking process!! wish you all the best.

thanks for the info! good luck.

I don't have any info specifically in relation to the Tufts waiting list but in relation to wait lists in general. Obviously people do get accepted off the waiting list from time to time but there may be several people on that wait list, so it is hard to know how good your chances are. This is my 3rd application season and I have been placed on the waiting list at at least 2 schools each season but have yet to receive an actual admit.

i wish Tufts just posted all rejections and waitlists at once so no one can have false hope T_T im pretty sure its a rejection for me but since i havent received anything yet theres still that tiny fleck of hope....sigh.

I emailed the graduate advisor and received this:

"I have not been given final decisions from the Social Psychology admissions committee.

I am sorry that I do not have more information for you at this time."

Anyone hear anything more from USC in the last month? Any acceptance? rejections? official waitlist? campus invites? etc.?

I had a phone interview in Jan. that seemed to have gone well, but I have head nothing since.

Hi folks,

Any word from Penn State's social psych program (not joint)? As time passes, I'm getting a more and more ominous feeling about this. I guess they'll have to notify us eventually.

Also, congrats to the person who posted that he/she was admitted to Princeton's social psych program! I myself was hoping to work with Susan Fiske there, but I knew it wasn't the best fit.

Hi guys ! Has anyone heard anything from u of chicago yet ? I heard that they have already sent out interview invitations and I have not received anything yet. I'm guessing I have been informally rejected already? The official reply was the decisions will be made in the first week of March. so all I can do is to wait for one more week.. But I guess what I am waiting for is probably just a formal rejection email ? :(

Hi folks,

Any word from Penn State's social psych program (not joint)? As time passes, I'm getting a more and more ominous feeling about this. I guess they'll have to notify us eventually.

Also, congrats to the person who posted that he/she was admitted to Princeton's social psych program! I myself was hoping to work with Susan Fiske there, but I knew it wasn't the best fit.

Penn State accepts straight up, no interviews. I believe their visiting weekend last year was one of the last, around the beginning or middle of March. Hopefully that gives you some sense of comfort.