2024 MFA Creative Writing Application (Fiction)

LatteLiterati

• 2 weeks later...

I have been out of undergrad for 5 years now and I have the whole time had in the back of my mind to get my MFA. My professors recommended we take a few years to work and write and take in real life before diving into a writing program. I want to stop thinking about it and actually do it. I think I’ve got 5 picked out. So it’s time to start on these applications.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started working on a list of possible schools, and it's such a chore. There's so much to take into consideration: funding, locale, professors, general vibes of the institution. Lol. It's a lot.

Hi! Does anyone have an opinion on whether Columbia or nyu are better for fiction? Obviously a lot of factors to consider - funding being a main one! But how do the programs compare in terms of teaching, experience, reputation, opportunities, etc?

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2023 at 4:41 PM, ElfieG said:

Hi! Does anyone have an opinion on whether Columbia or nyu are better for fiction? Obviously a lot of factors to consider - funding being a main one! But how do the programs compare in terms of teaching, experience, reputation, opportunities, etc?

Hi, I'm applying this cycle, so I personally can't offer any opinion on this, but I did find this blog post where people discussed Columbia vs NYU for the MFA creative writing. Hopefully, it's helpful! https://creative-writing-mfa-handbook.blogspot.com/2008/03/columbia-vs-nyu-plus-calarts.html

• 3 months later...