Latin American Studies vs. History

EdLearnin'

I'm applying to to both History (with a concentration in Latin America) MA programs and Latin American studies programs. Does anyone know if there is a considerable difference between the two? Admissions criteria more stringent on one over the other?

yep. admissions to history programs will be more difficult.

if the history MA is terminal, then it'll put you in pretty much the same position for PhD admissions as the studies MA will, and it's almost certain that you won't get into the PhD program at the school where you completed the terminal MA. that's just how they work. if, on the other hand, you're accepted into an MA/PhD program for latin american history, then you could obviously stay on at that school for the PhD.

in terms of curricula, a LA studies degree won't have that many history courses. you'll do a lot of public policy and/or culture, maybe some linguistics courses. odds are high that most of your classes will be geared towards the present. in a LA history program, you will take a decent number of courses that actually have little to nothing to do with latin america. historiography, historical methodology, courses on atlantic history or the african diaspora or eugenics in the west. depending on the strength of the department, you'll probably get a few readings about latin america in some of those courses, but expect at least 1 or 2 courses a semester to be about something other than latin america. some of the really big (and by big i mean many faculty members, not high prestige) LA history programs may be able to consistently offer 2 or 3 courses on something in latin america each semester, but that varies with the size of the department and the LAist cohort.

yep. admissions to history programs will be more difficult.

if the history MA is terminal, then it'll put you in pretty much the same position for PhD admissions as the studies MA will, and it's almost certain that you won't get into the PhD program at the school where you completed the terminal MA. that's just how they work. if, on the other hand, you're accepted into an MA/PhD program for latin american history, then you could obviously stay on at that school for the PhD.

in terms of curricula, a LA studies degree won't have that many history courses. you'll do a lot of public policy and/or culture, maybe some linguistics courses. odds are high that most of your classes will be geared towards the present. in a LA history program, you will take a decent number of courses that actually have little to nothing to do with latin america. historiography, historical methodology, courses on atlantic history or the african diaspora or eugenics in the west. depending on the strength of the department, you'll probably get a few readings about latin america in some of those courses, but expect at least 1 or 2 courses a semester to be about something other than latin america. some of the really big (and by big i mean many faculty members, not high prestige) LA history programs may be able to consistently offer 2 or 3 courses on something in latin america each semester, but that varies with the size of the department and the LAist cohort.

I think strangelight is mostly right here. As an Americanist, in my first semester, I did not take any courses in my time period or region for various reasons (even ended up taking an LA history class). No matter what, you will have to take things out of your comfort zone. If you are okay with that it's actually kind of awesome. One of my seminar papers I am taking to a conference and get to be involved with a whole mess of grad students working in completely different time periods. It also gives you opportunity to learn the dif. methods other subfields use.

I will say, as someone who applied to both history and American studies programs, it is hard to say which is better on the job market. There are less cultural studies PhDs being produced but there are also a lot less jobs. I know an LA history person in my program decided against getting an LA studies PhD, because he was told there were so few jobs in LA studies.

This was rambling but you get the jist!