Toefl Score enough?

just4u1530

Hello

I am applying to Princeton WWS and Fletcher MALD and both colleges have set a minimum Toefl score, 100 for Toefl ibt. I scored 100 in my toefl ibt and I am surprised to see my test score because I got 24 in speaking section and 20 in listeing. was expecting more..in reading I have 28 and writing 27.

I wonder whether they will consider my application because its a borderline case. minimum toefl is 100 and I scored just that. doest it make a bad impression. I scored 1180 in GRE (Q : 690, V 390, AWA 3.5) and I am going to retake it..I am a journalist planning to switch over to public policy and AWA score has murdered me..

I am worried.. I have strong LORs, good work experience, good GPA and interesting story/bacground but now my test score seems to ensure that my application wont be considered..

thanks a lot

Edited by just4u1530

Focus on your SoP. If you can show your mastery of the English language in there, the TOEFL score won't matter much. The one potential problem I can see with your score is that you usually need at least 26 in Speaking to get a TAship, so you might have problems finding funding, or you'll have to take special teacher training.

the toefl score is not important but you have a low verbal gre and a low toef which may convey the impression that your English is not god enough. Try to get your verbal GRE above 550 or better above 600 adn no one will take another look at your toefl.

Does the school set minimum scores for each of the TOEFL sections? Sometimes they do, especially for the speaking part. If they don't, I would worry more about improving the GRE score. Some schools still ask you to pass their own English exam when you arrive on campus. Mine did. I had to take two tests: a written one (similar to TOEFL but without the speaking part) that was mandatory for all international students (although, since I'm a grad student my department was able to give me a waiver); and an oral exam that was mandatory for all TAs.

In other schools, if you score less than X they can still offer you admission, but they make you take an English course before you can start teaching.

Thank you all for your replies..

my gre verbal score is 490..not 390...oh god..was I sleeping when i was writing this post..my bad....will it help me...GRE (1180, Q 690, V 490)..though i agree its still not good enough.

The schools I am appying to have set a minimum Toefl (100 for iBT) but there is no sectional cut offs..so ideally my application should be considered even if i scored 20 in the listening section but then its just 100..borderline case...

right now I am not worried about funding..i will try to shoot for 600 in the verbal section when i retake my gre...

Edited by just4u1530

For the schools I applied, the minimum is 100 but with cut offs of 25 each section. I see that is not the case with you, but 100 is minimum. Why not retake it, and take that extra points you need?

For the schools I applied, the minimum is 100 but with cut offs of 25 each section. I see that is not the case with you, but 100 is minimum. Why not retake it, and take that extra points you need?

I have submitted my application to WWS and Fletcher's application is due on jan 15, 2011. I have checked with the ets and i wont be able to retake my Toefl before Jan 15.

Retaking GRE is a different matter because I have already booked a date..

If you have the minimum don't worry. I had 21 or 22 (?) on speaking (haha) but no one even asked about it. But GRE will probably count in the decisions (as they can compare all applicants based on that number) so I would focus on that.