2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

Just firmly accepted my Mac offer! A spot at Western should open up soon for those waiting :) I won't be formally rejecting my Dal offer (just going to let it go past the Apr 15 deadline) so there will also be a spot soon! 

If anyone is starting any Mac gc's pls let me know! 

Also, one more quick question about Dalhousie: people on here are talking about letters being sent in through a graduation portal, but I don’t recall ever creating a graduation portal account for my application. I emailed all of my forms to their admission team. Where did people receive their official letters?

Hi all, I have just firmly accepted my offer to Western, so a spot on McGill's waitlist will open up! I am not sure if other schools do this but if you have the chance to visit a school you may be considering before accepting, I 100% would! I've just toured Western today and learned some interesting things about Western's program as well as cool opportunities that I would have never known about previously!

Hello, for those who have accepted their offer from the U of A, has anyone received their official offer letter through the grad portal yet after hearing back from the academic advisor?

Thanks! :)

6 hours ago, tothepowerof10 said:

Hi, is there anyone currently in the McMaster program? I'm trying to narrow down my choices and I would really love to hear from others! 

you're better off checking last year's discussion board and linkedin searching! i've met w a few students and can share what they told me though and stuff from my own personal research so send me a msg!

5 hours ago, 55slp said:

Hello, for those who have accepted their offer from the U of A, has anyone received their official offer letter through the grad portal yet after hearing back from the academic advisor?

Thanks! :)

My official offer letter hasn't shown up yet, but I think it's because they said they can't process my acceptance until they receive my final transcripts to confirm I have graduated since I'm finishing my last semester of my undergrad right now. So I'm guessing mine will show up once I get my final grades for the semester and send them my transcripts

17 hours ago, BrocasArea said:

Hi all, I have just firmly accepted my offer to Western, so a spot on McGill's waitlist will open up! I am not sure if other schools do this but if you have the chance to visit a school you may be considering before accepting, I 100% would! I've just toured Western today and learned some interesting things about Western's program as well as cool opportunities that I would have never known about previously!

hey congrats on accepting! i just accepted my offer to western too! do you know if there is a facebook group/group chat for incoming uwo slp students? would love to connect with everyone :)

On 4/11/2024 at 1:20 AM, kt_tje said:

Also, one more quick question about Dalhousie: people on here are talking about letters being sent in through a graduation portal, but I don’t recall ever creating a graduation portal account for my application. I emailed all of my forms to their admission team. Where did people receive their official letters?

By email. But it’s also not updated on the website. It’s the same site you would have used for the first part of the process where you would pay the application fee. 

8 minutes ago, IslandSpeechGrad said:

By email. But it’s also not updated on the website. It’s the same site you would have used for the first part of the process where you would pay the application fee. 

That’s good to know! I still haven’t received an email from them for any reason other than giving me my student identification code quite a while ago 😬 I’m hoping they let me know soon, as they’re my best shot at getting in imo especially due to me being able to apply to the thesis option which I wasn’t able to do for UofA.

hi! i just accepted my offer to Western SLP and would really like to connect with others going into the program this fall — Is there a FB group or group chat that’s been made? Would love to join :) Thank you and congrats everyone!!

33 minutes ago, kt_tje said:

That’s good to know! I still haven’t received an email from them for any reason other than giving me my student identification code quite a while ago 😬 I’m hoping they let me know soon, as they’re my best shot at getting in imo especially due to me being able to apply to the thesis option which I wasn’t able to do for UofA.

I would definitely email them and reach out! Make sure check your junk mail as well. Use this link to log in and see if there’s any update: https://dalonline.dal.ca/PROD/bwskasta.P_DispStatusSaradap?appno=3

My status says “Offer accepted, deposit received”

14 minutes ago, IslandSpeechGrad said:

I would definitely email them and reach out! Make sure check your junk mail as well. Go to Dalhousie Application Summary to log in

My status says “Offer accepted, deposit received”

Mine says that I have a written decision to follow, I’m not sure what that means. It also says that they’re awaiting outstanding work which they never notified me about, which can’t be good. Should I be emailing them?

4 minutes ago, kt_tje said:

Mine says that I have a written decision to follow, I’m not sure what that means. It also says that they’re awaiting outstanding work which they never notified me about, which can’t be good. Should I be emailing them?

don’t worry about it! I contacted them (after emailing for weeks- they’re hard to contact) and they said they received all my documents even though the portal says they didn’t. As far as I understand they’re still releasing admission decisions in the coming weeks. I only know a handful of people received acceptances in March. I’d say if we don’t hear any waitlist or rejections in the next couple weeks then we can be more concerned, but for now I’m waiting it out!!

11 minutes ago, cornpop15 said:

don’t worry about it! I contacted them (after emailing for weeks- they’re hard to contact) and they said they received all my documents even though the portal says they didn’t. As far as I understand they’re still releasing admission decisions in the coming weeks. I only know a handful of people received acceptances in March. I’d say if we don’t hear any waitlist or rejections in the next couple weeks then we can be more concerned, but for now I’m waiting it out!!

Ah, okay thanks for letting me know! I panicked for a second but this put me at ease. I may still email them just to clarify that they have all of their stuff, as I know they had technical issues right before the application deadline. Do you know if the April 15th deadline applies to Dalhousie then if they’re releasing decisions in the coming weeks?

1 hour ago, hungryslp said:

hi! i just accepted my offer to Western SLP and would really like to connect with others going into the program this fall — Is there a FB group or group chat that’s been made? Would love to join :) Thank you and congrats everyone!!

Hi, congratulations!! There's a FB group that should come up if you search "Western SLP Class of 2026" 🙂

35 minutes ago, LinguisticsAndLinguine said:

Hi, congratulations!! There's a FB group that should come up if you search "Western SLP Class of 2026" 🙂

hi thanks for letting me know! i wasn’t able to find it —  can you please PM me the link? thank you!!

1 hour ago, kt_tje said:

It always says “awaiting outstanding items”. I saw lots of applicants saying the same. Mine said that up until a decision was made. 

1 hour ago, IslandSpeechGrad said:

It always says “awaiting outstanding items”. I saw lots of applicants saying the same. Mine said that up until a decision was made. 

thats good to know too, thank you :) I won’t worry about that too much then, the only thing I’m really worried about is that April 15th deadline to accept since they still haven’t gotten back to me. Do you know if that’s something I should be worried about?