2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

Hi everyone. I wanted to start a new thread for those of us applying (or reapplying) for Fall 2024. I know it's a long time away, but if you're anxious like me or trying to make sure you aren't freaking out last minute, we can begin gathering resources or maybe make a group chat for everyone who has questions going forward. We can use this thread in the meantime to discuss application related things, like:

• Questions about GPA & sGPA calculations 
  • How to strengthen applications 
  • Casper test resources 
  • SOI's & personal statements 
  • Volunteering
  • Letters of reference 
  • Dates & deadlines etc. 

If you're interested in making a group chat for us all to go through the process together let me know and I can make one! I have a decent amount of resources and have done so much prep already (LOL, I'm insane but also terrified and this eases my anxiety a bit 🙃

On 5/7/2023 at 5:36 PM, SLPinBC said:

Hi everyone. I wanted to start a new thread for those of us applying (or reapplying) for Fall 2024. I know it's a long time away, but if you're anxious like me or trying to make sure you aren't freaking out last minute, we can begin gathering resources or maybe make a group chat for everyone who has questions going forward. We can use this thread in the meantime to discuss application related things, like:

• Questions about GPA & sGPA calculations 
  • How to strengthen applications 
  • Casper test resources 
  • SOI's & personal statements 
  • Volunteering
  • Letters of reference 
  • Dates & deadlines etc. 

If you're interested in making a group chat for us all to go through the process together let me know and I can make one! I have a decent amount of resources and have done so much prep already (LOL, I'm insane but also terrified and this eases my anxiety a bit 🙃

Yes I would love to be apart of it! This is also my first time applying.

Hey! I applied and was second quadrant waitlisted for audio/SLP at western in 2022.

I took this year off to finish a bachelor of education second degree program and will be reapplying. Would love to be added to a group chat!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Thanks for the thread!

This will be my first time applying, planning to try for both SLP and Aud. Nervous as heck but happy to be here with you all.

I'm a Psych BSc., went back to university for the first time in my mid-twenties and working in speech/lang/hearing has always been my end goal. What undergrad programs are everyone coming from?

32 minutes ago, SLPAudON said:

This will be my first time applying, planning to try for both SLP and Aud. Nervous as heck but happy to be here with you all.

I'm a Psych BSc., went back to university for the first time in my mid-twenties and working in speech/lang/hearing has always been my end goal. What undergrad programs are everyone coming from?

Welcome in! I’m coming from an applied linguistics undergrad - was originally an English major and transferred unis half way through my degree. I feel you on being more of a mature student! 

On 7/13/2023 at 1:53 PM, SLPAudON said:

I'm in my 4th year of a Psych BA program with minors in linguistics and health studies! 

Hi everyone, I plan to apply next year for SLP. However, I believe we do not have enough schools in Canada for this program, which is quite sad because it makes it very difficult to get in. I am currently looking to apply to schools in the US, primarily because I want an online program, I have to be able to work. Is anyone looking into this option as well? Its quite overwhelming because there are over a 100 schools in the US with this option, not complaining though it is a good problem to have. However, its tricky too because they are very expensive, and i'm trying to filter and find the more affordable schools.

Hi everyone! For some reason, the moderators are deleting the link to the Facebook group that I'm posting. If you look up "2024 SLP Canada Prep & Admissions" on Facebook in groups, you should find it and be able to request to join. I've made a chat there as well :) If anyone prefers a different method, made the group and post it here. Looking forward to chatting with you all! 

• 3 weeks later...

How is everyone choosing their referees? I have two great academic references, but I am torn on my "character" reference for schools that only accept one. Also... from the Western site:

"Provide one Professional or Personal Reference from someone who knows the applicant well from a non-academic setting (e.g. work supervisor, coach, clergy member, etc)"

Does anyone know if this rules out research supervisors? I work as an RA and the primary investigator has offered to write me a reference. It's a paid position, unrelated to my coursework, but the investigator is a (fairly important) faculty member as well. I have never taken a course under them, so they would be speaking exclusively to my work ethic & research potential.

4 hours ago, SLPAudON said:

How is everyone choosing their referees? I have two great academic references, but I am torn on my "character" reference for schools that only accept one. Also... from the Western site:

"Provide one Professional or Personal Reference from someone who knows the applicant well from a non-academic setting (e.g. work supervisor, coach, clergy member, etc)"

Does anyone know if this rules out research supervisors? I work as an RA and the primary investigator has offered to write me a reference. It's a paid position, unrelated to my coursework, but the investigator is a (fairly important) faculty member as well. I have never taken a course under them, so they would be speaking exclusively to my work ethic & research potential.

I don’t believe this rules out research supervisors, since you have a paid position that is unrelated to your academic setting. As far as I know, this counts as a personal reference, since it’s not specifically a professor attesting to your academic abilities (but more so your work ethic, personal attributes). So I think you can use your supervisor as the third reference. You can always double check with Western’s graduate admissions committee and send them an email as well :) 

Hi everyone!!

Have been a long time lurker of these forums but finally decided to make a post. I'm planning to apply next fall and I'm so nervous!! I was just wondering if anyone knows about how they calculate the sgpa. Like since we apply at the end of the fall semester, do the schools only the our first semester of the fourth year of undergrad and consider our second semester of 2nd year since they look at 20 courses. Sorry if I worded that poorly, but I'm just wondering if grad schools consider fourth year second semester grades?

45 minutes ago, jazzyslp said:

Hi everyone!!

Have been a long time lurker of these forums but finally decided to make a post. I'm planning to apply next fall and I'm so nervous!! I was just wondering if anyone knows about how they calculate the sgpa. Like since we apply at the end of the fall semester, do the schools only the our first semester of the fourth year of undergrad and consider our second semester of 2nd year since they look at 20 courses. Sorry if I worded that poorly, but I'm just wondering if grad schools consider fourth year second semester grades?

Hey! This will be my second time applying so I can answer this for you lol. They will only factor in grades for fourth year from first semester into your subGPA (for Ontario schools), and technically since some applicants have year-long courses, they do not separate school years in calculation, meaning that your entire second year will be averaged to weigh 5 courses worth… I hope that makes sense. If you have pre reqs in progress for second semester, they will only check that you’ve made their grade cutoff if they have one (e.g., you take general anatomy in second semester and UofT checks to see if you reached their B+ or higher requirement).

2 minutes ago, BrocasArea said:

Hey! This will be my second time applying so I can answer this for you lol. They will only factor in grades for fourth year from first semester into your subGPA (for Ontario schools), and technically since some applicants have year-long courses, they do not separate school years in calculation, meaning that your entire second year will be averaged to weigh 5 courses worth… I hope that makes sense. If you have pre reqs in progress for second semester, they will only check that you’ve made their grade cutoff if they have one (e.g., you take general anatomy in second semester and UofT checks to see if you reached their B+ or higher requirement).

OHHH, this makes sense. thank you for clearing that up. yikes my second year grades were not the greatest, if i were to take extra courses (lets say 5 to cover the first semester) they wouldnt count my second year first sem?

Also if you're comfortable answering how did you find the application process last year, anything you learned, what you're doing different ect.