2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

8 hours ago, speechforthestars said:

Hi all! Does anyone know if the second section (volunteer experience) of UofT's statement of intent has been waived or if it is still required? 

It is required. You'll see it on ORPAS if you go to personal submissions!

14 hours ago, SocialCommSLP said:

It is required. You'll see it on ORPAS if you go to personal submissions!

Hey! Currently I only see the requirements for the first section of the SOI, that I listed below! 

Statement of Intent (Maximum 3,000 characters).
The Statement of Intent should include the following points, with particular emphasis on points A through D
(A) Outline reasons for choosing Speech-Language Pathology as a career
(B) Highlight specific personal attributes that would be relevant for the profession
(C) Emphasize academic and non-academic accomplishments
(D) Outline reasons for choosing the Master's program in Speech-Language Pathology at the University of Toronto
(E) Demonstrate current knowledge about the profession of Speech-Language Pathology

Edited by speechforthestars

1 hour ago, speechforthestars said:

Hey! Currently I only see the requirements for the first section of the SOI, that I listed below! 

Statement of Intent (Maximum 3,000 characters).
The Statement of Intent should include the following points, with particular emphasis on points A through D
(A) Outline reasons for choosing Speech-Language Pathology as a career
(B) Highlight specific personal attributes that would be relevant for the profession
(C) Emphasize academic and non-academic accomplishments
(D) Outline reasons for choosing the Master's program in Speech-Language Pathology at the University of Toronto
(E) Demonstrate current knowledge about the profession of Speech-Language Pathology

When I was logged in last night it had it but I just checked and its gone so I guess its also waived! But we definitely should still be talking about things we did in the SOI

On 10/18/2023 at 1:35 PM, speechforthestars said:

Hi all! Does anyone know if the second section (volunteer experience) of UofT's statement of intent has been waived or if it is still required? 

did anyone else notice they took the volunteer section out of oraps on the personal submission section? I filled it all out and now the tab is not even there????

15 hours ago, buggybug said:

did anyone else notice they took the volunteer section out of oraps on the personal submission section? I filled it all out and now the tab is not even there????

I see that now too! I filled it out as well, strange. 

Hey everyone. Has anyone ever taken the linguistics prereqs online with U of A? (linguistics, phonetics, and language aquisiton). I'm about to take all 3 and I'm quite scared lol.

Also, I really really don't want to take anatomy and physiology but it's required for all the ontario schools. Do you guys have expereince with taking the year long athabasca course? I'm struggling haha

Also, also, what does everyone have in terms of volunteering experience? I feel like my volunteer section has a big gap in it (prob bc of covid) and so I only really have 1 long stroke group facilitation experience with like 200 hours and volunteering at a lab as an RA for two years. I worry this isn't enough, especially for U of A. Any feedback is appreciated :)

8 hours ago, SLPinBC said:

Hey everyone. Has anyone ever taken the linguistics prereqs online with U of A? (linguistics, phonetics, and language aquisiton). I'm about to take all 3 and I'm quite scared lol.

Also, I really really don't want to take anatomy and physiology but it's required for all the ontario schools. Do you guys have expereince with taking the year long athabasca course? I'm struggling haha

Also, also, what does everyone have in terms of volunteering experience? I feel like my volunteer section has a big gap in it (prob bc of covid) and so I only really have 1 long stroke group facilitation experience with like 200 hours and volunteering at a lab as an RA for two years. I worry this isn't enough, especially for U of A. Any feedback is appreciated :)

Hey! I have taken LING 101 from UofA as a student from Ontario, and I thought the course was very straightforward, although I hate the way the grading scheme works. I’m not sure about BC, but in Ontario, your final grade reflects your absolute achievement in a course (e.g., you average a 85% in the class and get an A). For UofA, they mark on a curve, meaning that your final grade is calculated in comparison to the rest of the class. I say this all to say I did pretty well in LING101 from an absolute achievement perspective, but since the class average was set to 81% by my prof, if you got 81%, you’d have a B on your transcript. I would prioritize your UofA courses to make sure you are closer to the top of your class to best reflect your absolute achievement. I don’t say all this to scare you, I honestly just wish I knew this information before taking this class last year. Best of luck:)

23 hours ago, buggybug said:

hi hi! question for anyone applying to Western, a CV is required (as per Western's SLP admission site). Does anyone know how that gets submitted? I don't see a section anywhere on ORAPS, so I'm wondering if this is something they ask to be submitted personally?

Hi! When I applied last year, any additional documents were sent to the schools through the "SAM" tab on ORPAS where you can upload documents and specify which school you want to see it. I believe that is where we should be uploading our CVs. Hope that helps!

On 10/25/2023 at 7:43 PM, BrocasArea said:

Hey! I have taken LING 101 from UofA as a student from Ontario, and I thought the course was very straightforward, although I hate the way the grading scheme works. I’m not sure about BC, but in Ontario, your final grade reflects your absolute achievement in a course (e.g., you average a 85% in the class and get an A). For UofA, they mark on a curve, meaning that your final grade is calculated in comparison to the rest of the class. I say this all to say I did pretty well in LING101 from an absolute achievement perspective, but since the class average was set to 81% by my prof, if you got 81%, you’d have a B on your transcript. I would prioritize your UofA courses to make sure you are closer to the top of your class to best reflect your absolute achievement. I don’t say all this to scare you, I honestly just wish I knew this information before taking this class last year. Best of luck:)

Thank you so much. This is really good to know - most schools in BC do not mark on a curve but SFU does, and it can be very tricky sometimes. I'm taking the 2nd two required courses with U of A, so good to know I need to stay on top of my game. Thanks a bunch :) very appreciated 

asking for a friend, does anyone know if a phd candidate can be a reference? my friend worked directly under one as a volunteer in a lab and is more comfortable asking them rather than the lab director. 

11 hours ago, SocialCommSLP said:

asking for a friend, does anyone know if a phd candidate can be a reference? my friend worked directly under one as a volunteer in a lab and is more comfortable asking them rather than the lab director. 

They cannot be used as an academic reference I believe, but I think they are able to use them as a third non-academic reference. I would double/triple check directly with an admissions advisor (I’m not too sure tbh). But, if I were to guess I’d probably advise against it and go directly to the lab supervisor. In some cases (again I think, take it with a grain of salt lol) - a PhD candidate is basically just another one of your peers in a lab setting. At least that’s how it is in my lab where two of them are now actually professors/doctors. Unless they have a title in the lab maybe? like “lab manager” etc, then it might be fine. Sorry I didn’t really answer your question, just my thoughts. Best to go directly to an advisor 

Does anyone know if we have to submit CASPer tests to schools or if they are submitted automatically? I want to begin my application for UofA now, but my CASPer test is not until January 10th 2024, so I worry that the score will not be submitted on time.

I am also applying to Western and UofT and was wondering if anyone knows if I need to take my CASPer test before the UofT and Western deadline in January? or is it okay if its after the deadline? 

Hello everyone, I saw this thread and just wanted to post and help out for anyone needed some guidance and tips on how they can curate their application. I am a first year S-LP student at the University of Alberta! Send me a message or a comment for any questions you all have. I understand the stress of this application, but I would say do it one at a time, start something bit by bit as early as possible :)

On 11/2/2023 at 8:29 PM, SquidSLP said:

Does anyone know if we have to submit CASPer tests to schools or if they are submitted automatically? I want to begin my application for UofA now, but my CASPer test is not until January 10th 2024, so I worry that the score will not be submitted on time.

I am also applying to Western and UofT and was wondering if anyone knows if I need to take my CASPer test before the UofT and Western deadline in January? or is it okay if its after the deadline? 

They are submitted automatically. When you sign up for your CASPer test, it gives you an option to check off what schools you want your score sent to, and for which admissions cycle. On CASPer it says the distribution deadline for UofA is February 7th, so you should be fine. 

When I did my CASPer test last year, U of T and Western did not require it. Just looking at the CASPer website it seems like the only English SLP programs that do require it are: McGill, and U of A. 

Hopefully this helps!

17 minutes ago, pangolin. said:

They are submitted automatically. When you sign up for your CASPer test, it gives you an option to check off what schools you want your score sent to, and for which admissions cycle. On CASPer it says the distribution deadline for UofA is February 7th, so you should be fine. 

When I did my CASPer test last year, U of T and Western did not require it. Just looking at the CASPer website it seems like the only English SLP programs that do require it are: McGill, and U of A. 

Hopefully this helps!

Thank you! That is very helpful. Where did you find the distribution deadline information?

Hello!

Just wondering if anyone knows, I am taking a pre-req in the upcoming winter semester. ORAPS is only giving me the option to submit "fall" for future terms, how can I make sure they receive my transcripts that include the winter pre-req? I see on ORAPS it says I have until January 30 for initial transcripts so when can I show my winter?

thanks! 

Hi guys! First time applicant here with a pretty silly question. On the Dal application portal, does the required field "Referee address" mean the reference's home address? Because the field right under it asks for their email address specifically, so I wanted to confirm whether its asking for their home address and their email address. Thanks! 

12 hours ago, BerrySpeechie said:

Hi guys! First time applicant here with a pretty silly question. On the Dal application portal, does the required field "Referee address" mean the reference's home address? Because the field right under it asks for their email address specifically, so I wanted to confirm whether its asking for their home address and their email address. Thanks! 

I'd use their work address. If they're a professor, I'd list the school where they receive correspondence.

On 11/13/2023 at 12:47 PM, buggybug said:

Hello!

Just wondering if anyone knows, I am taking a pre-req in the upcoming winter semester. ORAPS is only giving me the option to submit "fall" for future terms, how can I make sure they receive my transcripts that include the winter pre-req? I see on ORAPS it says I have until January 30 for initial transcripts so when can I show my winter?

thanks! 

Hi I'm not to sure where you're looking but when you're inputting pre-requites that are in progress (including winter term) you just need to put in IPR. If granted admission to a school with a pre-req in progress you'll receive a conditional offer. For offer acceptances to be finalized, final transcripts will be sent to the schools and so they will see your final winter marks. Fall is only needed since the subgpa calculation starts from fall 2023 and backwards (if youre in your last year of undergrad rn)

Idk if i explained this well enough sorry. Im a first time applicant and just going off knowledge from helping my friend apply last year.

Hi everyone! Just got my Casper score back, I'm in the 2nd quartile. I'm applying to McGill's SLP program.

Does anyone know of any applicants who have gotten into McGill with a Casper score in the 2nd quartile? My application is otherwise strong (I think). 

On 11/15/2023 at 10:18 PM, SocialCommSLP said:

Hi I'm not to sure where you're looking but when you're inputting pre-requites that are in progress (including winter term) you just need to put in IPR. If granted admission to a school with a pre-req in progress you'll receive a conditional offer. For offer acceptances to be finalized, final transcripts will be sent to the schools and so they will see your final winter marks. Fall is only needed since the subgpa calculation starts from fall 2023 and backwards (if youre in your last year of undergrad rn)

Idk if i explained this well enough sorry. Im a first time applicant and just going off knowledge from helping my friend apply last year.

Thank you! yes makes sense, first time applicant too, everything makes me nervous lol!