2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

1 hour ago, SquidSLP said:

sgpa's are posted on ORPAS under document tracking

Is it the GPA at the bottom of the list of all the courses or the one at the top where it says overall GPA? May be a silly question but I'm confused!

Just now, SLP2024 said:

Is it the GPA at the bottom of the list of all the courses or the one at the top where it says overall GPA? May be a silly question but I'm confused!

it is the one in the bottom right corner. i think the overall gpa is your cgpa 

On 2/3/2024 at 2:16 PM, SocialCommSLP said:

based on last year, orpas subgpas should be out on monday/tuesday!

they’re out! go to document tracking when you log in and scroll down :) . Who’s starting the MMI discord?

2 hours ago, SocialCommSLP said:

they’re out! go to document tracking when you log in and scroll down :) . Who’s starting the MMI discord?

What do you think the cutoff will be? 

8 minutes ago, SLP2024 said:

What do you think the cutoff will be? 

i’m hopeful it’ll be slightly lower than last years average (3.88) but there are 514 applicants this year and the last time it was that high (2021; 533) the average for an interview was a 3.9. Last year someone got an interview and offer with a 3.85 so i think if you’re in the 3.84+ range you’re safe!

3 hours ago, SocialCommSLP said:

I am! Hopefully the mods will let me share the invite link :) I'll share when invites for mcmaster come out

Hey everyone!

I am not sure if anyone else applied to the University of Maine but they sent out their decisions pretty fast! I assume it might be a little different in the US. 

This is my first time applying, so I don't have a lot of hope :( Seems this is a very challenging process and I really lack the volunteering portion of the application (other than a few months at a school in Montreal that caters to those with special needs in 2011/2012).  If I don't get in this year, that is what I will focus on next round! :) 

My SOI focused a lot on my path to get to where I am today. I failed out of college the first time and went back at 28 to try again. This time, however, I did A LOT better! 

Wishing you all the best of luck!

Edited by Matthew_SLP

3 hours ago, Matthew_SLP said:

Hey everyone!

I am not sure if anyone else applied to the University of Maine but they sent out their decisions pretty fast! I assume it might be a little different in the US. 

This is my first time applying, so I don't have a lot of hope :( Seems this is a very challenging process and I really lack the volunteering portion of the application (other than a few months at a school in Montreal that caters to those with special needs in 2011/2012).  If I don't get in this year, that is what I will focus on next round! :) 

My SOI focused a lot on my path to get to where I am today. I failed out of college the first time and went back at 28 to try again. This time, however, I did A LOT better! 

Wishing you all the best of luck!

I got waitlisted at Maine last week! Definitely didn’t expect to hear back that fast but I’ll take it! I think McGill and Dalhousie will probably take a while, I remember seeing March-April. And all Ontario schools post decisions April 3rd I think so still a long time to wait. Good luck!

3 hours ago, SocialCommSLP said:

Anyone have info on Dalhousie’s timeline and when to expect an email of any kind?

Hello! Dalhousie does things a little bit differently. When I applied last year, people heard back in phases throughout April. Acceptances started getting sent out in the beginning of April. I received my rejection email on April 27th and that seemed to be the end of their process. 

Does anyone know if schools consider these sorts of things in an application: Student leadership roles (Vice president of External Affairs and Fundraising for a student organization), studying abroad, volunteering for a non-SLP related role (Crisis helpline), volunteering with a stroke foundation but not in a patient-facing role (admin stuff or fundraising)?

Edited by songbird23

21 hours ago, songbird23 said:

Does anyone know if schools consider these sorts of things in an application: Student leadership roles (Vice president of External Affairs and Fundraising for a student organization), studying abroad, volunteering for a non-SLP related role (Crisis helpline), volunteering with a stroke foundation but not in a patient-facing role (admin stuff or fundraising)?

they should especially for schools that accept a CV and a statement of interest/purpose since you can talk about it and what you learned!

4 hours ago, RDHtoSLP96 said:

Has there been any movement for McMaster? Do we know when they usually send out interview invitations by?

I don't think there has been anything yet. The website says end of February. When I applied last year we got the decision emails on February 22nd so I'm thinking we may hear next week!

3 hours ago, tayslp said:

I don't think there has been anything yet. The website says end of February. When I applied last year we got the decision emails on February 22nd so I'm thinking we may hear next week!

Do you get notified if you don't receive an interview/don't make the cutoff? 

8 hours ago, SLP2024 said:

Do you get notified if you don't receive an interview/don't make the cutoff? 

Yes! You will either get an interview invite or a rejection email

On 2/12/2024 at 2:08 PM, RDHtoSLP96 said:

Has there been any movement for McMaster? Do we know when they usually send out interview invitations by?

really angsty too 😆 but last year my friend got an email on the 17th and I also saw some responses on a thread around the 22nd. It's def this week/early next week! I'm at Mac for undergrad and next week is our reading week and I know they release it just before then so fingers crossed!

20 hours ago, SocialCommSLP said:

really angsty too 😆 but last year my friend got an email on the 17th and I also saw some responses on a thread around the 22nd. It's def this week/early next week! I'm at Mac for undergrad and next week is our reading week and I know they release it just before then so fingers crossed!

I just got my invite email!