2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

On 11/15/2023 at 4:40 PM, BrandyJ said:

Does anyone now if an SLP you volunteer for could be your "work" reference?

technically yes but I would be weary for it for school's that waived the required clinical hours but still require a professional reference (like Western- they said they're not required, shouldnt be sought out and wont be considered iirc). if youve worked at the clinic in more than just a volunteer capacity (observing, small tasks) or you've been paid then yes they would be a professional reference. If youve just observed and even helped in sessions then they can only speak to your future as an SLP(hence why it would be a clinical reference) but professional references are more than that from what i understand. best response will probably come from emailing respective schools to ask hope this helps

edit: just saw someone say they emailed Western and its fine so u can ignore me😅

Edited by SocialCommSLP

14 hours ago, BrandyJ said:

Anyone else who has a lower gpa that is applying? Feeling a little anxious since I wouldn't say my gpa is in competitive standard...

I saw this post on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/mcgill/comments/m3xzhh/got_accepted_in_slp_at_mcgill_with_a_low_gpa/

It seems like people can get into competitive schools without a super high gpa :)

2 hours ago, Jen SLP said:

Hi everyone!!!

I would like to contact the ORPAS application people but am having an issue finding an email. I have a question about transcripts for my B.E.D because they don't count towards my GPA so I don't know if I need to send them! 

As far as I know you need to provide transcripts for all post-secondary education. For example, I transferred universities in first year, and my grades from that year aren’t counted in the GPA from my second university, but I will still be sending both transcripts. I think they still want to know what coursework you have completed and how you did!

11 hours ago, Jen SLP said:

Hi everyone!!!

I would like to contact the ORPAS application people but am having an issue finding an email. I have a question about transcripts for my B.E.D because they don't count towards my GPA so I don't know if I need to send them! 

you can send a message via the SAM section when you log in! you can also email orpas@ouac.on.ca

On 12/3/2023 at 10:16 PM, slp2024hopeful said:

For the UofA Statement of Intent, what font size are we supposed to write it in? Or does it even matter as long as it's under 2 pages?

Hi there, I am currently in the UofA SLP program. I wrote my statement of intent using Times New Roman, font size 12. Also be sure to double space. Hope that helps!

2 hours ago, madmopet said:

Hey everyone! I am wrapping up my Dal application, and some of the sections are confusing me. I feel pretty dumb lol, but I was wondering if anyone has successfully filled it out and could confirm how they filled out some of the sections!

Hey! I completed my application and also filled one out successfully last year, what sections were you confused about? 

25 minutes ago, BrocasArea said:

Hey! I completed my application and also filled one out successfully last year, what sections were you confused about? 

Hey! thanks for helping out. The section titled "planned course of study" I have chosen SLP but what does the section visiting students and indicated area of study mean? do I leave that blank? Secondly, on the "Additional information" section the part where it wants you to list studies in progress, am I meant to put all the classes I am currently in and will be in next semester or can I also leave that blank?? Again, I feel like these are really dumb question and I am over thinking things but I am stressed lol

9 hours ago, madmopet said:

Hey! thanks for helping out. The section titled "planned course of study" I have chosen SLP but what does the section visiting students and indicated area of study mean? do I leave that blank? Secondly, on the "Additional information" section the part where it wants you to list studies in progress, am I meant to put all the classes I am currently in and will be in next semester or can I also leave that blank?? Again, I feel like these are really dumb question and I am over thinking things but I am stressed lol

I think they want you to list any courses you have in progress, including any courses you’ll be finishing in the next semester. I’m not sure yet about the other sections either though. Also I just want to say that I also find the dalhousie application very weirdly formatted so you’re not dumb for being confused lol good luck!!

12 hours ago, madmopet said:

For the visiting students section you'll just leave that blank- that I assume is if you are on a LOP (letter of permission) like I have done before where you take a course or a semester at a different university than your home institution. This year I put the one course I was taking currently (fall 2023) in the studies in progress section, but I honestly do not remember writing out all my courses last year when I was in undergrad lol. I would probably do it out of precaution, or give grad studies a call, they are super helpful. I hope this helps and best of luck:)

For those applying to dal, on your resume how did you include the information on frequency for volunteer activities?

The website says the following:

"Please include your education, work experience, research experience (including publications and presentations), volunteer experience (including the organization, activities, duration and frequency), and special qualifications (including languages spoken, post-secondary training received outside of university, etc.)."

On personal statements, is it okay to abbreviate Speech-Language Pathology to SLP? I'm really strapped in terms of word count, but I also don't want to have my application thrown out over something so little. Also, when typing out Speech-Language Pathology, did you always capitalize it? I think I might be getting hung up on the little details.

Hi Everyone! I'm a 3rd year audio student at Dal and I'm just poking my head in to say hi! I went through it myself and every year have come back to help out in anyway I can, I know this is a stressful time 😅  I had another account, 2nd Year Dal Student or something, but naturally I got locked out 🥴 

Anyway, some basic info: From Toronto, did a BA in Psych. Got accepted to U of T SLP, Dal SLP & Aud and Western Aud. Waitlisted at McGill and Western SLP, rejected by McMaster. This is something I posted on the forum last year that I think is worth reposting, hope it helps with perspective:

I have two pieces of advice as you prepare your applications that is outside of your applications: 1) stay busy, stay distracted, and cultivate other aspects of your life outside of school so that even if you dont get accepted, you can more easily recognize parts of your identity outside of being a prospective SLP student. Because remember, you are more than these applications! You are a full human being and acceptances are important, but they do not define you. So if you get in, yay! If you don't, well this is all part of the journey, you haven't failed since this all you are. 2) This will likely be unpopular: do not ask people who have been accepted what their scores/stats were. Their scores in no way can effectively give you any indication if you will be accepted and what you are most likely doing is comparing yourself to the top of the class.  Certain schools may lean more heavily on certain aspects of an application, but they do consider apps holistically. Schools don't send out acceptances linearly by going down sGPA and caspr scores, thats just not how it works. Plus, each school has a different criteria that we may have inklings but dont truly know what they look at. For example, I got immediately rejected from Mac (my sGPA was too low to even get an interview) yet I got an acceptance from U of T April 1st. I also got 3 waitlists, McGill, Western and Dal, yet I only got off the waitlist for Dal. There was NO way for me to have predicted these results if I compared my sGPA to other people I assure you. Trust me, I hate how schools leave you in the dark and you're just trying to get some sliver of info, but I assure you that it is not productive. 

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions about applications or the Dal program, Im happy to help in anyway I can :)  

20 hours ago, tothepowerof10 said:

On personal statements, is it okay to abbreviate Speech-Language Pathology to SLP? I'm really strapped in terms of word count, but I also don't want to have my application thrown out over something so little. Also, when typing out Speech-Language Pathology, did you always capitalize it? I think I might be getting hung up on the little details.

yea for sure! first mention it like "i'm drawn to the profession of speech-language pathology (SLP) because..." then every instance after that use SLP

Hi all! I had a question related to Dalhousie's professional reference form. I understand that for non-institutional emails (e.g., hotmail, gmail), Dal will not be able to have their e-reference system send an email with the reference form to your referees. It's listed on their admissions site to send those referees with non-institutional emails the pdf reference form yourself, which I have done for my professional referee, however, it doesn't say whether there needs to be a certain subject line in the email the referee then has to send to the CSD email. Does anyone know what/if there is a specific subject line that needs to be used in that email? I have tried getting in touch with Dal's grad studies and CSD department many times and I haven't heard back at all. Please let me know and thanks in advance! :)

On 11/23/2023 at 6:09 PM, tothepowerof10 said:

Hi everyone! for those who applied to McGill, where did you upload your CV? For some reason I'm not seeing it on the portal.

Sorry for the late reply! You actually upload your CV after you submit and pay for the application. It then gives you a few documents to upload (like transcripts).