2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

28 minutes ago, tayslp said:

Yes! I have a few documents that do not have a submission, but it also says "document not required" beside them. I had the same thought process as you.

Okay thank you! Although mine doesn’t say “document not required” anywhere and it says I have 6 required actions and those are all uploading documents that should be unnecessary. 

4 hours ago, Speech2024 said:

Okay thank you! Although mine doesn’t say “document not required” anywhere and it says I have 6 required actions and those are all uploading documents that should be unnecessary. 

Yes! I also had a problem with the GSMS saying I had "required actions" and I was really worried it meant my application documents wouldn't be considered but I was able to email and the advisor got back to me really quickly! The advisor can confirm they have all the documents on their end so it wouldn't hurt to just email them and mention your problem! 

Edited by ubcspscstudent

Hi all! I’m just wondering if anyone has heard back from McGill yet? I know they sent out acceptances this week the last few years. Good luck to everyone who applied for this cycle! ❤️

7 hours ago, Speech2024 said:

Does anyone know roughly how many people apply to McGill and how many spots they have?

I think they had 30 seats and about the same amount of spots on the waitlist last year. I'm not sure about how many people apply though.

When I called McGill before, they said they accept 45 people for the program (because they assume people will inevitably chose other schools I guess) and then have a wait list. 

On 3/13/2024 at 3:43 PM, Natashaslp said:

If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats? @SocialCommSLP

out of province first time applicant, applied through equitable admissions. My ORPAS sGPA is 3.92 but dal is a 4.3 scale so I think I'm in between 4.0-4.1/4.3 I never actually calculated it. SLP experience: research (TBI, dysphagia and general ling), kids therapy camp, private clinic volunteering. 3 references from research profs. Current 4th year in BA Psych w minors in ling and health studies + some certificates. Some other extra-curriculars (TAing, mentoring, etc)

Just a heads up for everyone applying to Alberta!

I emailed the academic advisor and they are aiming to send out decisions at the beginning of April, however it may be later than that. So we may be hearing back a little bit later this year.

36 minutes ago, tayslp said:

Just a heads up for everyone applying to Alberta!

I emailed the academic advisor and they are aiming to send out decisions at the beginning of April, however it may be later than that. So we may be hearing back a little bit later this year.

I wonder if that means the applications were more competitive this year 😳 

I called McGill because I wanted to get a clearer timeline on when we can expect to hear back, and I was told that they are still reviewing some applications but are aiming to let applicants know by midweek this week. So Wednesday or Thursday. Hoping everyone feels a sense of peace and calm these next few days and weeks, the waiting is so tough! 

2 hours ago, Hopefulspeechi said:

I wonder if that means the applications were more competitive this year 😳 

It also could be because they opened the augustanna campus cohort! So maybe there is more planning that they have to do. 

Does anyone here know how UBC looks at GPA when considering your application? On the website there’s two options for the minimum, which are either all of your 300 and 400 level courses (76% min) or your top 12 credits in the area of study (80% min). Do they pick whichever one of these is higher? Or do they just use one, both, or a different measure for GPA? I think there’s a chance this might be unknown but I wanted to see if anyone knew anything since my GPA is a lot higher if calculated with the top 12 compared to all of the third and fourth year courses 😅

1 hour ago, speechy22 said:

Hi everyone! I was just wondering, does McGill consider your GPA from your entire Bachelor's degree or does it look at your GPA from the last two years of your studies? :) 

Hey :) I believe McGill considers your entire Bachelor's degree since their website references a "cumulative grade point average" (cGPA) which means that would be your average across all undergraduate years!

On 3/14/2024 at 2:51 PM, tsslp said:

does dalhousie send rejection letters, or just admission letters in email? 

If it helps ease your conscience a little, I didn't get an offer of admission from dal until end of April 2023 - I think they send admissions in waves. Two years ago I got a rejection from them around the same time (April 2022)

20 hours ago, BrocasArea said:

Hey :) I believe McGill considers your entire Bachelor's degree since their website references a "cumulative grade point average" (cGPA) which means that would be your average across all undergraduate years!

Thank you so much! By any chance, does anyone know how much McGill considers the cGPA? I'm just a little stressed out since I had to convert my cGPA and it is below the requirement. Just wondering if they will reject me because of that or if they'll consider the other aspects of my application. Impatiently waiting for a response from McGill haha!

Edited by speechy22

1 hour ago, speechy22 said:

Thank you so much! By any chance, does anyone know how much McGill considers the cGPA? I'm just a little stressed out since I had to convert my cGPA and it is below the requirement. Just wondering if they will reject me because of that or if they'll consider the other aspects of my application. Impatiently waiting for a response from McGill haha!

Someone on Reddit posted a few years ago saying that they got accepted with a GPA below a 3.8, so I'm sure it's definitely possible. I think they'll consider all aspects of your application, not just GPA. But that is only my interpretation, so hopefully someone who goes to McGill can chime in!

On 3/18/2024 at 2:31 PM, MeganisaCDA said:

I called McGill because I wanted to get a clearer timeline on when we can expect to hear back, and I was told that they are still reviewing some applications but are aiming to let applicants know by midweek this week. So Wednesday or Thursday. Hoping everyone feels a sense of peace and calm these next few days and weeks, the waiting is so tough! 

I just called McGill and they said they are waiting for first week of April to give out responses.