2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

44 minutes ago, SLPinON said:

congrats!! Would you mind sharing your stats? 

Thank you! According to orpas my sGPA is 3.86, I have 100+ hours of volunteering with SLPs in 2 different settings, and I will be graduating with an honours degree. But I also think my personal statement and reference letters were well suited for UofA’s program! I hope that helps😊

2 minutes ago, Speech2024 said:

Thank you! According to orpas my sGPA is 3.86, I have 100+ hours of volunteering with SLPs in 2 different settings, and I will be graduating with an honours degree. But I also think my personal statement and reference letters were well suited for UofA’s program! I hope that helps😊

Thank you!! 😊

Hi everyone! So I received an email - im shaking, i got accepted to UOFA?!!! But i am so in shock and kind of in denial somehow - is everyone who got accepted, was it an email and an update in your portal or was it just the email? BUT CONGRATS TO EVERYONE!! HOW EXCITING

Edited by angelicam
clarifying where i got accepted to

Just now, angelicam said:

Hi everyone! So I received an email - im shaking, i got accepted?!!! But i am so in shock and kind of in denial somehow - is everyone who got accepted, was it an email and an update in your portal or was it just the email? BUT CONGRATS TO EVERYONE!! HOW EXCITING

It was in my email! - my portal still says pre-screening LOL

10 minutes ago, ubcspscstudent said:

It was in my email! - my portal still says pre-screening LOL

Mine as well! I received an email but it still says pre-screening haha I'm assuming it'll change eventually!

Edited by tothepowerof10

Congrats to everyone who got into UofA!!

Did anyone get accepted into the Augustana campus or was it just for Edmonton?

Just now, tayslp said:

Congrats to everyone who got into UofA!!

Did anyone get accepted into the Augustana campus or was it just for Edmonton?

Edmonton for me but I do know of some people who got Augustana!

8 minutes ago, ubcspscstudent said:

Edmonton for me but I do know of some people who got Augustana!

Oh okay! Was just curious as I also got Edmonton

Congratulations to all of you who got into UofA today!!!!!! You all should be very proud because this is a big deal!😊

On a completely unrelated note, to everyone who applied to McGill..... what do you think is gonna happen on the 2nd? Do we think an email will come out at midnight??? Do we think they're still gonna call during the day?!? I know there's no real way of knowing (unless someone called) but i'd love to know what you all think because the nerves are eating me ALIVE 

5 minutes ago, BrocasArea said:

Congratulations to all of you who got into UofA today!!!!!! You all should be very proud because this is a big deal!😊

On a completely unrelated note, to everyone who applied to McGill..... what do you think is gonna happen on the 2nd? Do we think an email will come out at midnight??? Do we think they're still gonna call during the day?!? I know there's no real way of knowing (unless someone called) but i'd love to know what you all think because the nerves are eating me ALIVE 

I am soooo nervous too! I have a feeling they will probably email us during the day?? I wish we knew lol

Congratulations to all those who got into U of A today! If anyone is comfortable sharing, what were your stats? & For those of you who were accepted, is U of A your first choice? Or are you hoping to get accepted into another program next week?  Just asking to see what the waitlist movement may look like for Alberta :)

just checked westerns website and it says april 1 is when offers are being sent out?!?! i thought april 3rd?

30 minutes ago, tsslp said:

just checked westerns website and it says april 1 is when offers are being sent out?!?! i thought april 3rd?

ORPAS said April 3rd, it's probably a more general release date for applicants who applied through ORPAS. Western will probably send out emails and update their portal on April 1st. 

4 hours ago, BrocasArea said:

Hi!! I called the other day and asked about this and I was told that they would not release the midnight and it is likely that the emails will be released during the day on the 2nd!

Edited by AlyssaSSLP

8 hours ago, BrocasArea said:

Last year I got a waitlist offer. I got it by email from “McGill SCSD”, subject line Waitlist Offer. 

7 hours ago, Hopefulspeechi said:

Congratulations to all those who got into U of A today! If anyone is comfortable sharing, what were your stats? & For those of you who were accepted, is U of A your first choice? Or are you hoping to get accepted into another program next week?  Just asking to see what the waitlist movement may look like for Alberta :)

I’ll try to be as informative as I can 😅 

My GPA is 3.77, and I scored 3rd quadrant on the Casper test.

This is my 4th year applying to SLP and 2nd year applying to Alberta.

I think what pushed my application further this year was I really tried to diversify my clinical/volunteer experience. I have about 60ish hours total, I gained about 20 since last application cycle. 

Prior to this year I only had volunteer experience working with kids (articulation and motor speech stuff), but this year I reached out to my local hospital and home care SLPs so I got to see them working with stroke patients, older populations with dementia, swallowing disorders, aphasias, apraxia’s,  etc. I really pulled on that experience in my letter. 
I speak English and French, and over the past year I also began learning American sign language (used the app Lingvano, highly recommend) I figured it could be a useful tool as an SLP and I spoke to that in my letter as well.

Currently Alberta is my top choice, but waiting to hear from McGill and Dal 🤞

Let me know if you have any other questions! Happy to help!