2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

18 minutes ago, kt_tje said:

thats good to know too, thank you :) I won’t worry about that too much then, the only thing I’m really worried about is that April 15th deadline to accept since they still haven’t gotten back to me. Do you know if that’s something I should be worried about?

I think the April 15th deadline is just for other schools (Ontario for sure). I don’t think Dalhousie abides by that deadline and they don’t seem to care about letting everyone know before then

20 minutes ago, kt_tje said:

thats good to know too, thank you :) I won’t worry about that too much then, the only thing I’m really worried about is that April 15th deadline to accept since they still haven’t gotten back to me. Do you know if that’s something I should be worried about?

I’m not sure. Dal seems to send acceptances in waves. I believe their deadline was actually the 12th, that’s what was in my letter but I accepted right away. They could very well wait to send out more letters after receiving responses on this date. 

13 hours ago, kt_tje said:

That’s good to know! I still haven’t received an email from them for any reason other than giving me my student identification code quite a while ago 😬 I’m hoping they let me know soon, as they’re my best shot at getting in imo especially due to me being able to apply to the thesis option which I wasn’t able to do for UofA.

Not sure if you know, but once you get accepted into SLP at the UofA, then you can ask to do the thesis route! It's not a direct application like other schools from my understanding, as UofA requires you to be accepted into the general program first, and then by the first week of classes you can ask for the thesis route.

7 hours ago, SLPAB said:

Not sure if you know, but once you get accepted into SLP at the UofA, then you can ask to do the thesis route! It's not a direct application like other schools from my understanding, as UofA requires you to be accepted into the general program first, and then by the first week of classes you can ask for the thesis route.

That’s what I’ve heard as well when I met with a professor in the CSD department! I just wish I could’ve put it on my application because it could’ve given me my best shot, but I didn’t know you needed a supervisor in order to apply for that track initially (Dalhousie didn’t have that as a requirement, for instance, you just write an additional personal statement). Regardless it was always my intention to do research a write a thesis so I’m hoping that came through in my personal statement 😕 Now that I have someone who would want to supervise me the admissions committee doesn’t know that, yk?

Edited by kt_tje

On 4/13/2024 at 8:21 AM, kt_tje said:

That’s what I’ve heard as well when I met with a professor in the CSD department! I just wish I could’ve put it on my application because it could’ve given me my best shot, but I didn’t know you needed a supervisor in order to apply for that track initially (Dalhousie didn’t have that as a requirement, for instance, you just write an additional personal statement). Regardless it was always my intention to do research a write a thesis so I’m hoping that came through in my personal statement 😕 Now that I have someone who would want to supervise me the admissions committee doesn’t know that, yk?

From what I've heard, that definitely wouldn't impact whether or not you get into the program. UofA is different that way. They don't really care in your application if you want to do a thesis or not if you know what I mean. And I've heard from previous year's applicants that putting a supervisor in the application doesn't impact whether or not you get accepted. So putting a supervisor in your application isn't actually officially applying for the thesis route, as they make you "apply" for it in the first/second week of classes. I'm just translating what I've heard from other people :)

1 hour ago, SLPAB said:

From what I've heard, that definitely wouldn't impact whether or not you get into the program. UofA is different that way. They don't really care in your application if you want to do a thesis or not if you know what I mean. And I've heard from previous year's applicants that putting a supervisor in the application doesn't impact whether or not you get accepted. So putting a supervisor in your application isn't actually officially applying for the thesis route, as they make you "apply" for it in the first/second week of classes. I'm just translating what I've heard from other people :)

See, I’ve just heard generally that having a supervisor “looks good” for grad applications because it shows a professor is willing to invest time and energy into your research. Don’t know if that works specifically for UofA (probably not from what you’ve said). I’ve also heard that UofA is more likely to accept people that are doing research (from a professor that used to be on the grad admission team). But, he also said that this year they were doing things differently, de-emphasizing GPA and all that so everything shifted around in priority, so I’m not sure how much truth that holds anymore. Regardless now, if I get in I’ll have research opportunities waiting for me so I’m just keeping the faith that a spot will open lol. It’s good to know that I can still write a thesis though — I was bummed out for a while because I thought that may have been my only chance to sign up for it 

Edited by kt_tje

On 4/13/2024 at 5:18 PM, slp947777 said:

Hey everyone! As I have accepted my offer to McMaster, I was wondering if anyone knows of any group chats started for the class of 2026? I would love to join and start connecting with my future peers :) 

Sending you a link! 

On 4/12/2024 at 3:27 PM, PeachesSpeech said:

Has anyone paid their deposit to UBC yet? I responded via email to accept my offer but have not received steps on how to pay the deposit. It said in the offer letter to pay on the portal but I don’t know where?

Same here! I replied to them last Monday and got an email saying that further instructions will be sent out later.

51 minutes ago, slp2002 said:

Does anyone know if people on waitlists will start to hear back today or tomorrow about acceptances and/or rejections? 

probably friday for ontario schools since deadline is wednesday 11:59 and some people might still be provisionally accepting offers and those only become firm May 2

Hi all! 

Officially accepted my offer to McGill, so spots should open up for UBC's Victoria campus, and UofA's Augustana Campus. Best of luck to everyone in the next year!

2024: McGill | UBC Victoria Campus | UofA Augustana Campus (waitlisted then accepted) | University of Washington MedSLP

5 hours ago, speechy22 said:

Hi! 

For those who accepted Ontario offers, on your ORPAS account does it say to review and submit even after you firmly accepted the offer? Is this a necessary step? I'm confused lol

yes you need to review and submit for it to actually go through! while you’re at it make sure to also request your final transcript if you’re still in courses!

Stupid question, but do I accept Western's offer on ORPAS? Or through Western's student centre portal? Or both??

Edit: Nevermind figured it out, ORPAS was just being weird for me.

Edited by SLPboi2000

2 hours ago, SocialCommSLP said:

yes you need to review and submit for it to actually go through! while you’re at it make sure to also request your final transcript if you’re still in courses!

If I got a confirmation email with a confirmation number it's fine right? I called ORPAS earlier today and they said that on their end it says that I accepted the offer and the review and submit changes section on ORPAS is only necessary if you have to make changes to your transcript.

Hi guys! To accept an ORPAS offer do we just do it on ORPAS or also through the school we accept? (I’m accepting western)