2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

Posted (edited)

kind of a long shot lol but is anyone attending/presenting at York u's CUHR conference?

Edited by SocialCommSLP

On 4/30/2024 at 11:05 PM, SocialCommSLP said:

kind of a long shot lol but is anyone attending/presenting at York u's CUHR conference?

I am! PM me!

I got notified this afternoon that I got waitlisted to Dal!
Has anyone here gotten an acceptance from Dal and chose elsewhere?

I'm curious to know what the odds are of getting off the waitlist considering they were quite slow in their selection process. I wouldn't be surprised if some of their top applicants already committed elsewhere...

6 hours ago, DoingMyBest8 said:

I'm curious to know what the odds are of getting off the waitlist considering they were quite slow in their selection process. I wouldn't be surprised if some of their top applicants already committed elsewhere...

I said this way up in another post but I’ve heard that that’s kind of Dalhousie’s logic to it — they respond late to make sure that you would be committed to their program and won’t have a ton of options to choose from. Doesn’t make a ton of sense in my opinion but that’s what’s been said about it, or what I’ve heard at least

On 4/26/2024 at 2:22 PM, SLP_PLS123 said:

Oooh interesting, I know McGill revamped the program in the past couple of years, were they in the program recently or a few years ago?

Sorry for the late response! One of them was in the program 2-3 years ago and another one of my friends is currently in the program

On 5/2/2024 at 2:36 AM, DoingMyBest8 said:

i was accepted march 13. i waited for ontario decisions since moving that far for 3 years is a lot and was luckily accepted at Mac and Western and chose Mac. Dal was always my ultimate ultimate backup and I was open to the idea of moving and did like a few parts of the program but the application process was a mess and definitely reflects on the program overall from the few people I spoke to. However, something *is* better than nothing so if you receive an acceptance make sure to speak with past and current students to see how the program is (apparently its better post-covid which is good and they did get a few new profs). 

Hey, not sure if anyone is able to answer this but I thought I would ask anyways. Are the only schools looking at SubGPA Western, UofT, and UofA? Also if my SubGPA is a 3.86 does anyone think it’s worth it to take another course and bring it up to a 3.89? I wasn’t able to get into any schools this year and I honestly just do not know what to do to better my package for next year. 😕

On 5/15/2024 at 11:27 PM, FutureSLP_hopefully said:

Hey, not sure if anyone is able to answer this but I thought I would ask anyways. Are the only schools looking at SubGPA Western, UofT, and UofA? Also if my SubGPA is a 3.86 does anyone think it’s worth it to take another course and bring it up to a 3.89? I wasn’t able to get into any schools this year and I honestly just do not know what to do to better my package for next year. 😕

all schools do iirc. the calculations might be different (for example all ontario schools use ORPAS which has a detailed order and some special cases like averaging a year if they have to go into one semester,  but schools like dal, uofa and mcgill just use the last 20 courses)

for your gpa, it really depends on the schools and your overall application since a higher gpa doesn't necessarily make too much of a difference after a certain threshold. it might be worth getting more/new experiences and a different approach with your LOI.

taking more courses might also make for better references since they would be "fresher"

also if you're just finishing up your last year of undergrad, your subgpa next cycle will be different since it'll include your winter grades.

hope this helps a bit!

On 4/29/2024 at 9:36 AM, slpgirl0613 said:

Hi!

Does anyone know if western is still contacting people on the waitlist for the SLP program? I'm in the 1st quadrant so I've just been really curious and waiting lol I'm super anxious

I was also in the first quadrant of the waitlist, so I was quite hopeful I would get in. But I emailed the graduate program assistant at Western and asked if they were still going through the waitlist or not, and she said the class is full. So back to the drawing board :(

Hey guys! 

I didn't get into any SLP schools this round and I'm planning to go back to my local university to take some more courses to boost the GPA for when I reapply. My academic advisor told me I can apply for a 2nd degree and take courses under this degree so that I can get OSAP assistance, however you don't need to actually finish the 2nd degree. I'm doing this as opposed to just taking courses as a non-degree student, as OSAP does not cover non-degree students. 

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any downside to doing this as opposed to just taking courses as a non-degree student? Do schools care/see that you started a 2nd degree and didn't finish it?

Any information would be helpful thank you! 

1 hour ago, PolyglotSpeechie said:

Hey guys! 

I didn't get into any SLP schools this round and I'm planning to go back to my local university to take some more courses to boost the GPA for when I reapply. My academic advisor told me I can apply for a 2nd degree and take courses under this degree so that I can get OSAP assistance, however you don't need to actually finish the 2nd degree. I'm doing this as opposed to just taking courses as a non-degree student, as OSAP does not cover non-degree students. 

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any downside to doing this as opposed to just taking courses as a non-degree student? Do schools care/see that you started a 2nd degree and didn't finish it?

I can’t speak specifically for anything to do with OSAP, but I also did this because I didn’t get in last year. I started an after degree in education to take some classes to boost my gpa. I don’t think universities mind, at least not in my experience. I was waitlisted this year for SLP at UofA but I was accepted into OT

On 5/24/2024 at 12:55 PM, PolyglotSpeechie said:

Hey guys! 

I had all of my prerequisites to obtain, so my thought process was the same as yours. Do an after degree to at least have another piece of paper to show for it. I completed my after degree this winter semester, but it was a condition on my offer for SLP to have the degree complete. Maybe that’s because I was practically done and said I would be done in my applications, I’m not sure. That was just my experience.  

On 5/8/2024 at 5:17 PM, speechgirlie said:

Waitlisted applicant at McMaster and UofT here. Has anyone gotten off the waitlist yet? I haven't seen anyone post and I'm super curious if there has been any movement!

I was initially on the waitlist and was accepted to McMaster recently!

Hey all! So I’m currently waitlisted for UofA’s program, and while I know shifting around on the waitlist still happens I’ve started to think about what my next steps are if I don’t end up getting an acceptance offer. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for how to “improve” your chances of getting in at the next cycle of admissions? Right now my GPA is at a 3.6 something, but I’m done classes and will be convocating in June. I tried to make up for the lower gpa with a ton of leadership and hands-on lab experience with some fairly big names in the linguistics community, which I think is why I got waitlisted initially. Right now, I have a job that is working alongside an SLP and OT so I have more direct experience in the SLP field, that I’m hoping to continue. I know everyone says it takes 2-3 tries on average to be accepted, but I’m not sure what changes in between those applications or if they just consider the fact that you’re re-applying.

Secondly, does anyone know if there’s anyone I can talk to about my other options, particularly at UofA? I would still like to remain in school and complete a masters degree because I know with just a psych/ling BA there’s not much you can do. I know a professor I was supposed to work with over the summer mentioned that I could enter a masters in Rehab Med, and then reapply to SLP next year if things don’t work out. However, this professor *coughs* ghosted me and I have no other connections to the CSD department there 😕 so if anyone has any experience with that or knows of any advisors I can talk to I’d really appreciate it.

Lastly, as much as I don’t want to admit it but I think the rejections have hit me harder than I thought they would. I kinda feel like I’m in a slump now where I’m pretty aimless and don’t have any sort of goal to meet, now that admissions are over and I’m stuck without an acceptance offer (as of now). I don’t want lose the momentum I had in my BA of working in labs and making connections but it feels like I’m losing grip of that. On top of that, I’ve been pretty hard on myself and have been having trouble staying positive and hopeful about whatever the future holds. Any tips on how to get out of this slump?

I’ll be posting this around to get more opinions, so sorry if you see this post more than once on a different site. If anyone can help me out that would be great :) thanks all! Congrats to everyone for their hard work and dedication to the SLP programs — whether you were accepted, waitlisted or rejected we all worked so hard and that’s something to be proud of

2 hours ago, kt_tje said:

Hey all! So I’m currently waitlisted for UofA’s program, and while I know shifting around on the waitlist still happens I’ve started to think about what my next steps are if I don’t end up getting an acceptance offer. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for how to “improve” your chances of getting in at the next cycle of admissions? Right now my GPA is at a 3.6 something, but I’m done classes and will be convocating in June. I tried to make up for the lower gpa with a ton of leadership and hands-on lab experience with some fairly big names in the linguistics community, which I think is why I got waitlisted initially. Right now, I have a job that is working alongside an SLP and OT so I have more direct experience in the SLP field, that I’m hoping to continue. I know everyone says it takes 2-3 tries on average to be accepted, but I’m not sure what changes in between those applications or if they just consider the fact that you’re re-applying.

Secondly, does anyone know if there’s anyone I can talk to about my other options, particularly at UofA? I would still like to remain in school and complete a masters degree because I know with just a psych/ling BA there’s not much you can do. I know a professor I was supposed to work with over the summer mentioned that I could enter a masters in Rehab Med, and then reapply to SLP next year if things don’t work out. However, this professor *coughs* ghosted me and I have no other connections to the CSD department there 😕 so if anyone has any experience with that or knows of any advisors I can talk to I’d really appreciate it.

Lastly, as much as I don’t want to admit it but I think the rejections have hit me harder than I thought they would. I kinda feel like I’m in a slump now where I’m pretty aimless and don’t have any sort of goal to meet, now that admissions are over and I’m stuck without an acceptance offer (as of now). I don’t want lose the momentum I had in my BA of working in labs and making connections but it feels like I’m losing grip of that. On top of that, I’ve been pretty hard on myself and have been having trouble staying positive and hopeful about whatever the future holds. Any tips on how to get out of this slump?

I’ll be posting this around to get more opinions, so sorry if you see this post more than once on a different site. If anyone can help me out that would be great :) thanks all! Congrats to everyone for their hard work and dedication to the SLP programs — whether you were accepted, waitlisted or rejected we all worked so hard and that’s something to be proud of

Hey! I hope you get into UofA, fingers crossed! ❤️

In terms of what you can do until next application season (if you have to apply again), here's what I did. I got into mcgill this round, and it's my first time applying, but I've known I wanted to do SLP for a while now. In this year before applying, I took linguistics courses as an independent undergrad student because 1. I wanted to learn more and 2. it boosted my GPA. I also volunteered in 2 SLP settings (private clinic with kids, and community centre with adults). It sounds like you've got the SLP exposure already with your job which is amazing. Perhaps taking extra classes would help with GPA.

In terms of rejection, I totally get how you're feeling. When I finished my BA in psych I applied for 2 masters programs in psych and got rejected, it totally sucked. What made me feel better was seeking out opportunities to get more experience and add to my CV to make it better (and I ended up changing career paths because of this). I took 2 years off between my BA and this masters in SLP, and people told me that being out of school will make you not want to go back, but I never felt that way. I never lost momentum because I was always seeking out opportunities that would eventually help me go back to school. But, many times throughout this 2 years I felt lost and aimless like you said. What helped me is thinking about what I would say to a friend in my situation. I am also very hard on myself and this helps me with that.

Best of luck with everything and my messages are open if ever. You got this!!