2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

Hi guys! I just wanted to ask if any of you know of any good ways to get some more upper level linguistic courses online. I have an out of field undergraduate degree and just want to do everything I can to make my application more competitive. I have a lot of volunteering and shadowing hours, but I’m looking for courses that would be helpful and are offered online. I’ve looked at preparatory speech and language certificates that are offered in the states, have any of you completed one of these or know if they would be useful and considered in my application? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, SLPVI said:

Hi guys! I just wanted to ask if any of you know of any good ways to get some more upper level linguistic courses online. I have an out of field undergraduate degree and just want to do everything I can to make my application more competitive. I have a lot of volunteering and shadowing hours, but I’m looking for courses that would be helpful and are offered online. I’ve looked at preparatory speech and language certificates that are offered in the states, have any of you completed one of these or know if they would be useful and considered in my application? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

U of A offers these two online:

https://www.ualberta.ca/communications-sciences-and-disorders/programs/csd-undergraduate-courses/csd-200.html

https://apps.ualberta.ca/catalogue/course/csd/311

They also offer phonetics online and a few psych courses that are language related!

Hey, guys. I got off the Waitlist for UofA early June. Thought I’d share my stats for future applicants. 

GPA: 3.73

CASPER: 1st Quartile 

Experience: 5+ years volunteering at a Sunday school (ages 4-12), 2 years at Big Brothers Big Sisters (ages 9-10), 1 year working in an SL4 Facility (ages 70+ usually) and babysitting experience (varied ages). 

References: two good ones and one that I suspect was mediocre. 

Bonus assets: Fluent in French, B1 in 3 other languages (Italian, Japanese and Korean). Also, two separate study abroad experiences. 

SOP: really hyped up my experience working with elders who have speech disorders as well as my desire to do bilingual (FR-EN) speech therapy. 

On 6/14/2024 at 9:17 PM, FutureSLP_hopefully said:

Hey! Just trying to gauge the admitted GPA averages for the various school. If people are comfortable, can you please share what your GPA was if you were admitted? 

I was accepted into the UofA with a GPA of 3.95. However, I think GPA is the least of concern for UofA unlike other schools. I've seen people get accepted into the UofA anywhere above a 3.6 (personally haven't seen below that). UofA focuses way more on your statement and references

On 6/14/2024 at 11:17 PM, FutureSLP_hopefully said:

Hey! Just trying to gauge the admitted GPA averages for the various school. If people are comfortable, can you please share what your GPA was if you were admitted? 

my ORPAS gpa was 3.92. I didn’t fully calculate my dalhousie one but I estimated i was around a 4.15 maybe a 4.2 it’s been a while lol. 

the schools have different things they look at! mac is only 25% gpa, they’ll release the avg interview gpa soon if it isn’t already out but for the year before us it was 3.88 (i heard around that 3.85 was the lowest but might be wrong). Western I think is more holistic but leaning more to experiences (my friend had a higher gpa but was waitlisted). Uoft is more academic focused i would say so references and gpa. they also favour research experience 

Edited by SocialCommSLP

Hi! Planning to re-apply next cycle, for those of you who got accepted to UofT and/or Western and are comfortable sharing their stats, what was your sub-GPA? Please feel free to PM if not comfortable sharing on the forum! thank you so much!

On 6/14/2024 at 11:17 PM, FutureSLP_hopefully said:

Dalhousie University - 3.98/4.3 GPA

• 4 weeks later...

**posted this in the main forum accidentally so I will repost it here!**

HELP I REQUIRE ANY ADVICE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!!  

I just got off the waitlist for UofT but was previously accepted to UofA and now I have to decide which school to go to! I only have like a day to make this decision so I'm super stressed! For context I am from Ontario and live in the GTA. If anyone has been to UofA or UofT PLEASE let me know what your experiences were like!! I've heard good things and bad things about both but I really want to consolidate the feedback so if anyone has literally ANY insight I BEG YOU TO SHARE!! 

Hi everyone! 
There is still waitlist movement happening. I was just offered a spot at the U of A augustana campus. I have decided not to take it though as I already accepted a spot in another program. Hopefully someone on here waiting gets the offer next !! 

On 7/21/2024 at 10:54 AM, smpslp said:

**posted this in the main forum accidentally so I will repost it here!**

HELP I REQUIRE ANY ADVICE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!!  

I just got off the waitlist for UofT but was previously accepted to UofA and now I have to decide which school to go to! I only have like a day to make this decision so I'm super stressed! For context I am from Ontario and live in the GTA. If anyone has been to UofA or UofT PLEASE let me know what your experiences were like!! I've heard good things and bad things about both but I really want to consolidate the feedback so if anyone has literally ANY insight I BEG YOU TO SHARE!! 

Hi! Sorry I can't speak on first hand experience but I have heard UofT has a strong research focus, maybe that aligns with your interests? It also might be nice to be closer to home/your support system. Have you decided on a school? 

Hi everyone. Applying for the first time this year! Any UBC students who applied to the program at Western, what courses did you do to satisfy requirements #5 (Life/Biomedical/General Sciences) and #6 (Social Science/Psychology/Linguistics)? No specific courses listed for those requirements and they have lots of acceptable options, not even sure which course to ask about. Thank you! 

Edited by ciara92

Hi guys! I'm looking to apply to uOttawa for Speech Language Pathology and OT. A requirement to apply is to be bilingual in French/English. To apply you need to take the OLBI School of Rehabilitation Sciences French/English language admissions test. I haven't been able to find a lot of information online about it.

I was wondering if anyone can speak to its difficulty? If it's similar to the C1 DALF French test? What kinds of questions are on it? Has anyone has found any practice tests / prep for this test specifically? Any general tips / advice for taking this test? Feel free to privately message me if you don't feel comfortable replying on this thread!

This is the link to the test I'm referring to if anyone is interested:

https://www.uottawa.ca/about-us/official-languages-bilingualism-institute/Language-assessment/tests/school-rehabilitation-sciences-admissions-test

Thank you guys so much. Any information is helpful!

• 3 weeks later...

For people that have considered UofA for speech path (either gotten in or done some research to consider it at least): how highly do they consider GPA? I have a 3.6 right now coming out of my BA at got waitlisted this admin cycle, and my parents (who don’t have a ton of experience applying to grad school or in SLP) keep saying it’s because my GPA wasn’t good enough. Just trying to get a better sense of how correct they actually are… (for context, I had fourth quartile Casper scores and a ton of independent research experience, both related and unrelated to SLP directly)

On 8/26/2024 at 8:15 AM, kt_tje said:

For people that have considered UofA for speech path (either gotten in or done some research to consider it at least): how highly do they consider GPA? I have a 3.6 right now coming out of my BA at got waitlisted this admin cycle, and my parents (who don’t have a ton of experience applying to grad school or in SLP) keep saying it’s because my GPA wasn’t good enough. Just trying to get a better sense of how correct they actually are… (for context, I had fourth quartile Casper scores and a ton of independent research experience, both related and unrelated to SLP directly)

UofA doesn't place a huge emphasis on GPA. I would say it would be important to look at your references and your statement of intent. Those are what set you apart from other students, even if you have an impressive resume and 4th quartile scores. From what I've heard, references and the statement is what UofA weighs heaviest.

UofA ESPECIALLY wants to see EDI (equity, diversity and inclusion) directly embedded into quite literally everything you submit to them. If you're applying again, I would recommend adding more EDI into your application. I've heard that often, really strong applicants may not get accepted due to this. Honestly I think they care more about what you say and have experience with related to EDI over your GPA. (Other schools in Canada are different though, this is just my understanding of the UofA)

4 hours ago, SLPAB said:

UofA doesn't place a huge emphasis on GPA. I would say it would be important to look at your references and your statement of intent. Those are what set you apart from other students, even if you have an impressive resume and 4th quartile scores. From what I've heard, references and the statement is what UofA weighs heaviest.

UofA ESPECIALLY wants to see EDI (equity, diversity and inclusion) directly embedded into quite literally everything you submit to them. If you're applying again, I would recommend adding more EDI into your application. I've heard that often, really strong applicants may not get accepted due to this. Honestly I think they care more about what you say and have experience with related to EDI over your GPA. (Other schools in Canada are different though, this is just my understanding of the UofA)

Hey again! So I actually got a chance to talk with the SLP advisor there and they basically said this, along with other things, so it looks like if I do end up having to re-apply I’ll focus on my experience. I already have more experience in the EDI sector than I did previously, so I know my application is stronger already haha. Thank you!

On 8/27/2024 at 2:36 PM, kt_tje said:

Hey again! So I actually got a chance to talk with the SLP advisor there and they basically said this, along with other things, so it looks like if I do end up having to re-apply I’ll focus on my experience. I already have more experience in the EDI sector than I did previously, so I know my application is stronger already haha. Thank you!

Did you email them and ask them what to improve on? Considering if I should do this as well haha

On 8/28/2024 at 6:04 PM, slp2024hopeful said:

Did you email them and ask them what to improve on? Considering if I should do this as well haha

If you email, you get what’s essentially a copied and pasted response. So, I showed up at their office and asked to speak to them (I’d recommend making an appointment, I was having a rough time that kinda threw logic and courtesy out the window at the time). They’re much better to talk to in person, very sweet and helpful :)

Edited by kt_tje

Hii, this will be my third time applying to the SLP programs and I feel like my main weakness may be my letter of intent since I feel like my work/research experiences and grades are strong. I was wondering if anyone who got accepted would be willing to privately message me and either share their LOI or some pointers that they feel made their letter stronger. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you :)

On 9/4/2024 at 9:29 PM, SLPinON said:

Hii, this will be my third time applying to the SLP programs and I feel like my main weakness may be my letter of intent since I feel like my work/research experiences and grades are strong. I was wondering if anyone who got accepted would be willing to privately message me and either share their LOI or some pointers that they feel made their letter stronger. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you :)

I would also appreciate any advice on this as a second time applicant! Thanks in advance