Image Descriptions

I Paint Faces

So most schools have a place for a description of your images and I was just wondering what people are putting in this section. Are people putting in depth decriptions about the concepts behind their pieces, etc OR are people putting details about the materials or aesthetic components OR are people leaving this section blank? Any thoughts?

GREAT question, I've been wondering the same thing!!! At first I figured maybe the description was for people whose work is very conceptual or whose materials/assembly/etc. is difficult to understand, and thus needs a little blurb for viewers to get any meaning out of it....But what about people like me who do fairly straightforward paintings?

A lot of professors will probably tell you never to assume that your work speaks entirely for itself, so I've always found it helpful to have some sort of description ready, especially if you're dealing with a portfolio or a piece in a show. My work involves a lot of narrative detail that's not always totally evident from photos, so I like to write just enough to get the viewer acquainted with the concept without leading them through by the hand. Most schools seem to be just as interested in your concept and thought process as they are in the final result, even if it seems straightforward, so a good description will show them that you're able to think clearly about your work. As far as materials and methods are concerned, I only mention them in the blurb if it has any bearing on the viewer's understanding of the piece. Otherwise, I just list it along with the title/date/etc. I'm not a painter, but hopefully this helps a bit.

Most schools seem to be just as interested in your concept and thought process as they are in the final result, even if it seems straightforward, so a good description will show them that you're able to think clearly about your work. As far as materials and methods are concerned, I only mention them in the blurb if it has any bearing on the viewer's understanding of the piece.

Thanks, that's very helpful, I'm just wondering if that's what they want in the essays... is this just a place to elaborate on those ideas?

That's definitely a part of it, but it's also important to give them a sense of context. Most of these essays are really asking for you to explain why you need to make your work the way you do and how that particular program will help you to do it, so it should be more than just an expanded description of your pieces. It can be helpful to have a few specific examples, but those examples should always be dealt with in reference to your work as a whole. That kind of framing is critical. There's not necessarily any single formula to follow, so you can tailor your essay to fit your strengths as a writer. As long as you can get the admission committees to understand how your work fits your perspective, and how that perspective fits their department, you should be alright.

I don't know how well I've explained this, but hopefully it helps.