Wagner PT MPA for free vs. anywhere else

MPPplusDebt

HI All,

Me

30 yrs old - 5 years experience in the nonprofit sector (international).

Currently work for a well-known international NGO in NY (in a mostly administrative, though well paid position)

Considering an MPA/MPP degree, would prefer quant and econ-heavy.

I have read dozens of posts here and in other forums and would really appreciate feedback on this hypothetical. This is how I see my options:

1. NYU-Wagner, stay at work, zero debt

With my current salary and scholarships, I could probably attend NYU Wagner MPA part-time and finish the degree in 3 years with no debt. However I'm not sure I'm impressed with the courses/jobs of recent graduates. The school seems very focused on NGO management and public-finance which is not really my thing.

Other alternatives (again hypothetical combo of savings and scholarships):

2. GPPI, SIPA, Harris, SAIS, Fletcher with maybe 70k in debt

I have friends graduating from SIPA that are unable to find jobs and so I am reluctant to do this. That being said I know that these schools can open doors and give private sector options some others can't (which can help with the debt).

3. GWU or American in DC with significant scholarship (maybe 20k debt)

I have heard good things about these programs. The downside is leaving my job in this economy, considering I have a relatively high salary already. This seems like a more reasonable risk but I wonder if it's worth it.

Does it make sense for me to leave a well-paid (albeit boring) job in this economy to take on 70k or even 20-30k in debt for an MA degree?

Any thoughts on my ramblings would be appreciated.

Edited by MPPplusDebt

I think it all depends on what you want to do or what you envision doing with your degree. From what you've said so far, it sounds like your current job is not a good fit for you. I imagine that you're looking to do more policy-oriented work? Or advocacy? The differences in what you want to do can very well determine which school is a better for you. I'm seeing a lot of SIPA grads that I know get work in the advocacy arena. I don't know about Wagner, but the scholarships and lack of debt sound quite persuasive to me...

• 2 weeks later...

I think it all depends on what you want to do or what you envision doing with your degree. From what you've said so far, it sounds like your current job is not a good fit for you. I imagine that you're looking to do more policy-oriented work? Or advocacy? The differences in what you want to do can very well determine which school is a better for you. I'm seeing a lot of SIPA grads that I know get work in the advocacy arena. I don't know about Wagner, but the scholarships and lack of debt sound quite persuasive to me...

Thanks for your reply. My previous job was in advocacy but funding ran out and so I abandoned ship. I would like to get back to that kind of work but a lot of the more stable jobs (UN etc) require a Masters. Basically Wagner doesn't seem as good for this kind of work (and is more focused on nonprofit management and public finance, i think) but it's just so much cheaper...and still a reputable name. There is no question if the $ situation was the same I would go to SIPA, but currently I have a couple of friends graduating from there that have no work prospects and would kill for my job. So the decision is not easy.

thanks for your input!

Edited by MPPplusDebt

Thanks for your reply. My previous job was in advocacy but funding ran out and so I abandoned ship. I would like to get back to that kind of work but a lot of the more stable jobs (UN etc) require a Masters. Basically Wagner doesn't seem as good for this kind of work (and is more focused on nonprofit management and public finance, i think) but it's just so much cheaper...and still a reputable name. There is no question if the $ situation was the same I would go to SIPA, but currently I have a couple of friends graduating from there that have no work prospects and would kill for my job. So the decision is not easy.

thanks for your input!

If you already have relevant/related work experience in an international NGO and are just looking to get a Masters to make you eligible for jobs at, say, the UN, I think you're thinking along the right track in that you should do whatever would cost you the least. Coming directly out of undergrad and looking to develop expertise in my area (climate economics/policy) however, Wagner made no sense for me, so I'd say avoid Wagner if developing proficiency in new areas relevant to a job at the UN.

And to defend SIPA (since I feel like this opinion is under-represented on these forums :)), the size of the incoming class is very big, so, yes, statistically, it makes sense that a larger number of students have trouble finding jobs than at a smaller school like, say, WWS. That said, the benefits of a larger class are that you have a much larger alumni network to benefit from once you graduate, and you have a much more varied course selection than you would at a smaller school. In the end, I think that SIPA is what you make of it, and, if you set yourself up correctly, it can be an amazing launching-pad for careers in international affairs, especially in the UN system (which makes sense, given its location in NYC).

In the end, I think it's worth considering how much you'll be in debt and job security upon graduation (and if you're already a well into your career, this would be the deciding factor), but if the graduate program in question won't take you down the career that you're looking to pursue, it's not worth your time and money.