PhD Applicants Who Hold Master's Degrees....

Talk to me. I am curious how you have fared/are faring through this year's application season. I ask because I am opting to pursue the terminal-MA--separate-PhD track and I want to have some skewed stastical basis about acceptance post-MA to calm my nerves.

Hey Grifter,

I'm finishing up my last semester of my MA at a small unknown Midwestern state school. I've faired alright so far. I didn't really apply to any spectacular schools (no ivies and such). I applied to a whole range of schools -- a few large state schools, a couple smaller private institutions, a couple of lesser known safety schools. I have had good luck across the board. More admits than rejections or waitlists at least.

That said, I was pretty average as an undergrad. I got my sh*t together during my MA and was super ambitious. I presented at a slew of conferences, wrote book reviews, wrote a thesis, submitted articles for publication, taught composition, did a research assistantship for a semester. All of this is just to say that I think you can do fine applying to PhD programs with an MA as long as you make it count. Schools are going to want to see that you are heading towards becoming a professional. It was nice for me because it allowed me to refine my interests a little bit before I had to make that five year commitment.

On the downside, it seems as though many schools wait until the end of the admit process to even deal with those of us with MAs. I'm still waiting to hear from four schools. Grrr.

I'm in the paperwork stage of finishing a terminal MA at a state school in CA (not a UC). I had a 3.6 avg in undergrad, worked for 4 years, then went back to get the MA with 4.0 avg. I am still with the same full-time job I got after undergrad so I haven't been able to do much extracurricular activities. I presented at one conference. Have taught for a year (while working full-time and writing my thesis which my reading committee has recommended that I publish). I am quite dedicated and received great LORs from professors.

I'm on two waitlists (one unofficial), have received 11 rejections, and I'm still waiting for 3 decisions.

mm, hm.

I'm on two waitlists (one unofficial), have received 11 rejections, and I'm still waiting for 3 decisions.

mm, hm.

At this stage in the game, those other 3 decisions are probably unofficial waitlists, as well, Commoner. You should get in off of a couple of them, and have a decent option or two from which to choose.

Yes, I am starting to look on the bright side of things now. I finally got Irvine's rejection. But I'm still waiting to hear official decisions from 3.

I can tell you this for sure. If I did not go for the MA program, I would not even be close to competitive right now. My undergrad degree was in creative writing (a degree in baloney--my personal opinion). Completely short-changed on the critical side of literature. But there are plenty of admits that have an MA and plenty that do not. I think it comes down to what you have done with your BA or your MA. I don't think it is necessarily good or bad to have that MA.

I don't think it is necessarily good or bad to have that MA.

You're probably right from an admissions standpoint. I do however tell myself (correctly or not) that the practical benefits associated with earning the MA (advanced writing, shedding some of my generalist tendencies) will make me a better applicant.

Thanks everyone for your candid advice.