UCLA MPP SoP

legs

Is anyone else applying for an MPP at UCLA?

Maybe I'm being blind, but I have scoured the UCLA MPP website, as well as the General Grad Application, and I can't find instructions for how long they want the Statement of Purpose to be. I found the website from last year, and it says 3 double-spaced pages, but I've afraid to go by last year's instructions. I tried to call but they're out of the office until January 3rd.

If anyone has any help, it would be much appreciated.

Hi

I attended the MPP SoP Workshop at UCLA SPA back in October 2010, conducted by Nancy Huynh. According to the notes I took at the session, the length is 2 -3 pages double-spaced which is consistent with last year's prompt.

I hope this helps. SPA's website is pretty confusing and unclear; I don't blame you :)

Hi

I attended the MPP SoP Workshop at UCLA SPA back in October 2010, conducted by Nancy Huynh. According to the notes I took at the session, the length is 2 -3 pages double-spaced which is consistent with last year's prompt.

I hope this helps. SPA's website is pretty confusing and unclear; I don't blame you :)

Perfect, thanks! So absurd they don't list it. How was that workshop, by the way?

Perfect, thanks! So absurd they don't list it. How was that workshop, by the way?

It was pretty much the same information you'd find in a good SOP writing guide/book but it was nice to hear anyway. She gave us 4 examples of SOPs submitted to UCLA ranging from pretty bad to decent and we discussed the strong and weak points of each.

Some advice Nancy gave:

keep interesting points in the beginning where readers tend to not lose focus

address WHY you want to study public and WHY UCLA

highlight career aspirations

A huge focus for UCLA is on diversity and equality, so she mentioned to try to cater to this in your SOP.

Hope this helps and good luck!

• 2 months later...

It was pretty much the same information you'd find in a good SOP writing guide/book but it was nice to hear anyway. She gave us 4 examples of SOPs submitted to UCLA ranging from pretty bad to decent and we discussed the strong and weak points of each.

Some advice Nancy gave:

keep interesting points in the beginning where readers tend to not lose focus

address WHY you want to study public and WHY UCLA

highlight career aspirations

A huge focus for UCLA is on diversity and equality, so she mentioned to try to cater to this in your SOP.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Guess we will start hearing decisions soon.... Good luck everyone!