appropriate wait time for follow-up phone call?

snarfplasty

I apologize if this is a repeat post, but I looked through the forums and didn't see anything similar. Mods, please feel free to lock/move this if I have accidentally duplicated.

Here's my situation. I applied to 4 graduate programs in the interdisciplinary women's/gender/sexuality/media studies vein. Thus far, I've been rejected from 3 of the 4 programs. I've learned from skulking around on the forum and results page that at least two sets of cuts have already been made for the remaining program. Since this is the only program that I'm still in the running for, and also my first choice, I'm really invested in finding out where I stand in the rankings. On Wednesday, I emailed the department's default email address inquiring about the status of my application, and have still not heard back. In retrospect, I realize that it would have been more logial/professional/expedient to either call the department or email the DGS directly. So, my question is this: how long should I wait before I follow up the email with a phone call? I don't want to seem like I'm pestering, but other people have said that the department has provided information over the phone, and so I think that calling is really my best bet.

Any thoughts?

call tomorrow, if they really want you they will be happy to tell you your status. Also they should be sympathetic to the fact that this is crunch time and people need to be making decisions....and they are behind in the game.

I wouldn't worry and think I was pestering them, it's not like it is going to change your application...either your accepted or your not.

also they should be answering their emails so they must really want a phone call.

I agree that you should call tomorrow. I work in a grad office and emails sent to the default address sometimes get passed around without anyone feeling obligated enough to hurry to answer them. You're even lucky enough to know that other people have received the information that they were seeking when they called. Call and assume that the person speaking to you has not seen your email.

Ahh my situation is even worse. I emailed one department enrollment secretary almost 10 days ago

and never got a response. I tried to call her but was directed to the answering machine. I left a

message but never got called back. Finally I just gave up. What else can I do? :|

I have one school I've heard nothing on. My spring break is in a week, and any visits before the 15th really have to be done then, so I need to make travel plans, like, the soonest. I've sent them a couple e-mails. I've tried to call them but nobody answers the phone and the voicemail box is full.

Not that I particularly think I would get admitted, but I'd like to have closure to avoid the "what-ifs" if I didn't follow through.