Deciding on MPPs and MPAs!

Hi all,

I'd appreciate people's input on this, as I've wracked/wrecked my brains too many times on my own. I am accepted at:

KSG (MPP)--no funding

Columbia (MIA)--no funding

CMU (MSPPM)--$6000 a semester (in Pittsburgh and DC)

American (MPP)--full scholarship

U Conn (MPA)--full scholarship + stipend (sweet deal!)

SAIS (MA)--waiting to hear on funding

I don't anticipate a lucrative career and am therefore wary of debt. However, given my knowledge of the programs, I believe KSG would be the best fit (plus the partnership with the ed school will be advantageous). I want to do a concentration in international education and economic development. Also, the recognition that comes with the Harvard name will likely make it easier for me to work outside the US. Nonetheless, it is hard to turn down American--a pretty good program with full funding. I know I would also be happy at U conn--it is a small program and the profs are very accessible. The only reason I would want to go to SIPA is for the proximity and connections to the UN--my dream type of job. Is the Harvard namr and connections worth the debt? Another thought: should I wait and defer for a year, and look for funding snd/or apply to Woodrow Wilson? Didn't apply there this year b/c I couldn't get my application together in time. Then again, Princeton is mad competitive!!! ARGH!!! DECISIONS!!!! :)

Thoughts? Thanks, everyone.

First, congratulations! You have some tough decisions to make as do I. (I got accepted into KSG and if I decide to take the offer, I will accrue more debt there than anywhere else.)

My calculations tell me that you are looking at over $100K in debt from KSG and only living expenses for American. That's a big difference for someone going into public service. Depending on what kind of work you want to do, you may be able to match the KSG connections by being in DC. I live in DC now and you can really make a lot of connections even if you aren't anywhere near academia.

I certainly could never advise you on deferment, but you are right about Princeton being "mad competitive." I applied to 6 schools and one of them turned me down....Princeton. They have like a 12% acceptance rate. Whatever you decide, you will be in a wonderful place. Congratulations.

Hi holdonhope,

You're making me feel really good--thanks! :) I have been feeling kind of down lately because I had really want the KSG program (it's MY DREAM) and now I feel like I can't achieve it.

Anyways, my stats: 3.7 GPA in sociology from top five liberal arts; GRE 740(V)/750(Q)/5.5(A). 1 yr of teaching experience, 2 years of higher ed administration experience. International student. Internships in non-profit in US and abroad. I wanted to focus my MPP on education policy.

Let me know if I can help you in any way!

Hi Lady,

To answer your question, I am down to three choices. 1) KSG, the MPA/ID 2) Fletcher MALD and 3) McGill MA Econ/MA Dev Studies.

I want to say Harvard is my top choice, but I am still hesitant. I never thought one day I might be considering turning down an offer to go to Harvard. Who imagines that? But, I am not sure. McGill is almost half the cost and it's in a beautiful city in a beautiful country and has a fine reputation. I wish I could shed light for you, but I am in a bit of darkness feeling my way through the next three weeks of decision making. I am going to visit all three schools. I am hoping being there physically with help put the pieces in place. You and I seem to be in a similar situation looking at an extra $60,000 or so to get what comes with Harvard....whatever that may be. Nevertheless, we have some great choices...good luck!

I'm not sure what either of your end goals are, but if they involve actually working for the Federal Government the U.S. office of personnel managment has a very generous loan repayment program which pays up to $10k a year, with a $60k cap on an individual (http://www.opm.gov/oca/pay/studentloan/ ). So if you actually intend to work for the federal government, you can factor that in to your decision. I'm suprised more people don't mention this. Currently i work for the government in the Department of Defense and had no problems signing up for this program and having the government pay off my undergrad loans (they were small < 5k) but it was so easy and simple to sign up for that there was no reason not too! You sign up in 3 year increments, so for the first 30k you'd have to sign up for 3 years and then do that once again for the 2nd 30k. At the moment you do have to pay taxes on it, but i think they're working on changing that.

Thunderdogg,

Thanks so much for posting the info about the US govt loan repayment program! Definitely a good tip for those of us who might be lured to the private sector in order to soothe the horrendous tuition hangover after grad school.

Is the program restricted to certain agencies?

Best of luck to all!

I have narrowed my choices to Chicago and Michigan (MPP programs). Any relevant information or advice to help me with my decision would be greatly appreciated. Funding is reasonably close (Chicago is $8,000 per year better). I plan to visit both schools within the next 10 days, but would also like to gather as much infomation as I possibly can beforehand.

I am not overly concerned with post-degree employment issues, because I expect to return to my current job when I complete the MPP. My main concerns are 1) overall quality of program; 2)the general atmosphere and working enviroment for students (i.e. collaborative vs. cuttthroat) and 3) nature of the core curriculum (e.g. is it extremely "math heavy", or reasonably well balanced bewteen quantitative and qualitiative analysis?). My research interests lie primarily in domestic policy, but without a particular area of focus. Basically, I am looking for a well-rounded education in policy analysis.

Thanks in advance, and good luck to all with your respective decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love some advice!

I've been accepted to NYU (Wagner) for an MPA and UPenn (School of Social Policy and Practice) for an MS in Social Policy and am trying to figure out which way to go. (Also accepted at the New School but think I've ruled that out).I would like to work in local government or do research afterwards and am most interested in housing policy.

NYU: I love the program and the faculty I met on their visit days. I live in NYC currently and work in community development, so I am quite familiar with and interested in the city's policies. I would like to work in NYC post-graduation. I received a 75 percent scholarship, but the program will still be pretty expensive due to living expenses. The program was just ranked #7 by U.S. News and World Report (as many of you know).

UPenn: I am very interested in the research of a faculty member there (its actually one of the things that helped me decide to go to graduate school). I also am from Philadelphia originally and could live at home. This makes the overall cost pretty low as it is also a one year program. The only drawbacks are that the program is only in its third year and is pretty small, so there weren't really many stats on job placement after graduation. I wouldn't mind working in Philly after, either. I don't know how much it matters but IVY League?

Thanks for all and any help!