Ford Fellowship

Anthro14

Did anyone out there apply for the Ford Fellowship? I havent seen any threads about it and was wondering if anyone knows the acceptance rates? Or any general information for that matter!

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for the dissertation award so I'll bookmark this discussion in case anyone wants to use it as an update for the Ford 2011-2012.

From last year's discussion, it seems everyone heard the second week of April (for the predoc and diss award). Also, it looks like the dissertation award rate was extraordinarily small (20 winners out of 500 apps!).

Yes I agree with Cesada, we will definitely have to wait until April! I applied last year and we heard back in April.

I'm so excited that my supplemental information has finally been updated online to RECEIVED! I was so worried for awhile thinking that I would be out of the running after having accumulated 6 recs for my app!

Best of luck to everyone. Keep busy in the meantime and try not to stress :-)

No KIDDING! They took FOREVER to update that thing! I faxed my VS Form to them around November, and it wasnt updated to received until a week after the due date for supp materials. I was getting super nervous.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got an email from the Ford Fellowship saying I was disqualified because my application was incomplete!

I logged onto my application and now it was saying they never received my transcripts. I'm pretty certain it said "received" a few weeks ago, but not it said "not received." I called my college registrar who said they mailed it back in October (yes, I'm super early and responsible like that). They confirmed the address they mailed it to and said that they're sure it got delivered since the transcripts weren't returned to them by mail.

I called the phone number for the Ford and at first, the woman I spoke to said that they're not responsible for lost mail. She asked for my info and looked up my file. She said, "That's odd..." and then put me on hold. She came back and said it looked like they did receive my transcripts. In fact, she said she's certain they did receive it because there's a record of it being received, but some reason it now says it's not received. She asked me to email her a copy of my official transcripts (which Thank GOD! I actually do have a scanned copy of). I got an email reply from her saying that my transcript has been received and my application should be reinstated by Monday. Phew!

So I got an email from the Ford Fellowship saying I was disqualified because my application was incomplete!

I logged onto my application and now it was saying they never received my transcripts. I'm pretty certain it said "received" a few weeks ago, but not it said "not received." I called my college registrar who said they mailed it back in October (yes, I'm super early and responsible like that). They confirmed the address they mailed it to and said that they're sure it got delivered since the transcripts weren't returned to them by mail.

I called the phone number for the Ford and at first, the woman I spoke to said that they're not responsible for lost mail. She asked for my info and looked up my file. She said, "That's odd..." and then put me on hold. She came back and said it looked like they did receive my transcripts. In fact, she said she's certain they did receive it because there's a record of it being received, but some reason it now says it's not received. She asked me to email her a copy of my official transcripts (which Thank GOD! I actually do have a scanned copy of). I got an email reply from her saying that my transcript has been received and my application should be reinstated by Monday. Phew!

Ahhh, I can empathize. A similar thing happened with my NSF application. It's like... can you please double check your facts before you disqualify someone! Esp when they know these fellowships mean so much and took so much time to put together! Glad it all worked out!

Edited by Anthro14

• 1 month later...

The countdown begins! We should here from the Ford Foundation in a month (maybe less)!

Indeed! I do not think that I am going to get it, but I am still anxious to get the notice (and get the wait over with).

Edited by PsychOut

I applied for the dissertation award so I'll bookmark this discussion in case anyone wants to use it as an update for the Ford 2011-2012.

From last year's discussion, it seems everyone heard the second week of April (for the predoc and diss award). Also, it looks like the dissertation award rate was extraordinarily small (20 winners out of 500 apps!).

I learned that, this year, they will award dissertation fellowships to 35 applicants out of 500 to 600 people applied. I don't have anything more specific than that. Essentially, the odds are still rather rough.

I learned that, this year, they will award dissertation fellowships to 35 applicants out of 500 to 600 people applied. I don't have anything more specific than that. Essentially, the odds are still rather rough.

Yes the Ford continues to becoming increasingly harder to get! I applied for the predoctoral and the chances are much slimmer. I believe they receive 1000+ applications for the predoc. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! This is probably a dumb question, but do we have to notify the Ford Foundation whether we got into the school we put down on our applications (i.e. where we would ideally use the fellowship)? I was accepted (yay!) and I've known for a little over a month now but this random thought just occurred to me. My guess is that we probably don't... Do they have ways of finding out for themselves? Or do they perhaps make their decisions regardless? (i.e. as long as you get into a program where you can do work that's comparable to what you wrote about in your application?)

Is anyone else dying of impatience? Yeah? Just checking! :P Good luck everyone!

Hey all. I have another question, if I may. From looking back through past year's Ford threads, it looks like some students found out a bit sooner than others. Apparently it seems like they were able to request this earlier notification. Was this an option somehow on the application itself? I can't seem to remember it at all if it was one. How would one go about procuring such early notification, if it does indeed exist? I would personally feel better making my final decision about grad school after hearing back about the Ford... They're notorious for informing people very darn close to April 15th though... I was accepted into my dream program though and with very generous funding, so I should probably just appreciate that, right? However, I'm currently negotiating funding with another program that I love a lot... And if I got the Ford, that could potentially change a lot for me... Any advice? Thanks again everyone and good luck!

Hey! Is this thread dead? I called and now I know when the results will be out!! Should I start a new thread for Ford 2011 results? Is anyone still checking this one?? I wouldn't mind a group of fellow Ford applicants with whom to freak out as decisions draw nigh... Quick, someone else say something!

Hey! Is this thread dead? I called and now I know when the results will be out!! Should I start a new thread for Ford 2011 results? Is anyone still checking this one?? I wouldn't mind a group of fellow Ford applicants with whom to freak out as decisions draw nigh... Quick, someone else say something!

Hey! So when did they say the results will be out? Yes, I think it's a good idea to start a new thread. Thanks!

Hey! So when did they say the results will be out? Yes, I think it's a good idea to start a new thread. Thanks!

Hey! Here's the new thread!

If you're curious to find out when the decisions will be announced, go check out the new thread! Feel free to join the discussion! ;)