Villanova/Philadelphia

novacomm

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! I went to college in Philadelphia and came to love that city over 4 years. At first it wasn't the most thrilling place, but as I explored Center City and Olde City, I really grew to like it. The highlight for me in Philly was definitely the restaurants. Yes, you have the high end stuff, but there's a good bunch of very affordable options as well. Some great Italian BYOBs (Branzino, Bistro La Baia, were two of my favorites), Great Moroccan food at Marrakesh, and for some killer Margaritas and excellent Mexican food, El Vez is a must! I could go on and on! :P

Also don't miss catching a show at the Kimmel Center, and First Friday's at South Streets' art museums. haha hoping I get admitted to my alma mater for my graduate program so I can go back!:P

I totally agree! I am in Philly now. I do love this city, especially old city, and south street.

Congratulations! I went to college in Philadelphia and came to love that city over 4 years. At first it wasn't the most thrilling place, but as I explored Center City and Olde City, I really grew to like it. The highlight for me in Philly was definitely the restaurants. Yes, you have the high end stuff, but there's a good bunch of very affordable options as well. Some great Italian BYOBs (Branzino, Bistro La Baia, were two of my favorites), Great Moroccan food at Marrakesh, and for some killer Margaritas and excellent Mexican food, El Vez is a must! I could go on and on! :P

Also don't miss catching a show at the Kimmel Center, and First Friday's at South Streets' art museums. haha hoping I get admitted to my alma mater for my graduate program so I can go back!:P

Grew up outside of Philly and never realized how wonderful it is until I only got to spend a few weeks each year over the holidays there. There are some really wonderful things happening in that city, completely underrated. My best friend lives in the Art Museum area and I've taken to spending most of my time back in Philly there (Mugshots Cafe is fantastic, if not somewhat overpriced) or in Northern Liberties. Whoever ends up there, enjoy it, I'll be jealous!

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up in Philly and currently work in west phila - I completely agree with Anxious2011 that the city will make you a total foodie! My friend and I try out a new restaurant every month (get acquainted with Restaurant Week - $35 prix fixe dinners) and have yet to run out of places to choose from!

A list of my personal favorites:

Chifa - latin american tapas

National Mechanics - great bar food with great beer selection

Horizons - vegan, but surprisingly amazing

Sitar - indian; offer a $10 all you can eat buffet!

and aside from food, check out a Phillies game!

• 4 weeks later...

i might be at villanova in fall of 2011-- any idea what neighborhoods are cool yet allow easy transit to campus?

I got my MA at Boston College, which was in a pretty boring suburb of Boston. i really didn't enjoy the city till i moved to Jamaica Plain, a hipper place about 30 minutes commute away... I would do the same for Villanova if possible. any suggestions?

Hello!

I'm starting my M.A in Communication at Villanova. Anyone else in the area? Tips on things to do/places to go?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I might be starting at Villanova this fall. I'll be working toward an MS in Psychology.

I'm very excited to be visiting campus next week. My sister goes to Bryn Mawr, which is just up the road, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area, and find it beautiful!

I was notified by my department that I'm being recommended for admission, but haven't received an official acceptance letter, or any news about financial aid. Hoping these come soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to bump up this topic and say that I am accepting my offer of admission at Villanova and starting work on my MS in Psychology this fall! I'd love to hear from other grad students who will be starting at Villanova in Fall 2011.

Has anyone else visited campus? The atmosphere seems very relaxed and friendly, and campus and the surrounding areas are beautiful!