MA program at Montclair State University

carlyhylton

I'm a Canadian second year student researching Ph.D, Psy.D and terminal Master's programs.

I've recently been looking at terminal Master's programs and came across a ''Clinical Psych for Spanish/English Bilinguals'' program offered at Montclair State University in New Jersey.

http://www.montclair.edu/graduate/programs/masters/epsb.php

Upon looking further into the program the program is a MA in Educational Psychology with a concentration in Clinical Psychology for Spanish/English bilinguals.

Looking at the required courses the degree looks more comparable to a Master's in Clinical psych than a Master's in Educational psych but I am no expert.

Considering that (in no particular order)...

1. My ultimate goal is a doctorate in Clinical psych and preferably a Ph.D
  2. That my ultimate goal would be to work as a Clinical Psychologist in the public sector and probably a hospital setting, and go on missions with MSF (Doctors without borders)
  3. That I am pursuing a trilingual (spanish/english/french) degree in Psychology at a ''top ten'' university in Canada
  4. That MSF looks for trilingual (especially Spanish/English/French) psychologists
  5. BUT the fact that it is a MA in Educational Psych might be a concern
  6. BUT the reputation of the university might not be amazing
...do you think this program would be a good program to pursue (if I am accepted to this program and no Ph.D programs)?

Thanks in advance ( :

• 2 weeks later...

Montclair State used to be a more local, small state college in New Jersey. It has grown a lot in size and reputation over the past 20 years or so, especially since receiving the university designation about 15 years ago. I think, however, that it is still not a doctoral degree granting institution and so it will not have the name recognition or reputation that doctoral institutions have. Did you have specific questions? I'm not sure what kind of information you want.

Edited to correct: Montclair State does offer at least 5 doctoral degrees.

Edited by repatriate

Montclair State used to be a more local, small state college in New Jersey. It has grown a lot in size and reputation over the past 20 years or so, especially since receiving the university designation about 15 years ago. I think, however, that it is still not a doctoral degree granting institution and so it will not have the name recognition or reputation that doctoral institutions have. Did you have specific questions? I'm not sure what kind of information you want.

Edited to correct: Montclair State does offer at least 5 doctoral degrees.

Thanks so much for you response!

After further consideration, I decided this was probably not my best bet.

My main question/concern was whether this would be a suitable program for me as prep for pursuing a doctoral degree (and preferably a Ph.D.) in Clinical Psych considering in is a Master's in EDUCATIONAL PSYCH WITH A CONCENTRATION IN CLINICAL PSYCH (for Span/English bilinguals), opposed to a Master's in Clinical Psych....

However, as explained below the spanish/english bilingual specialization was of interest considering my background and aspirations with MSF.

The reputation for me is not necessarily a huge deal, as long as it would be considered OK by institutions I might apply to for doctoral studies. My main concern would be that it didn't have a bad reputation.

But again, as it is a Master's in Educational Psych I doubt it would be the best bet anyways...

Am I right in thinking this probably isn't my best bet?

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for you response!

After further consideration, I decided this was probably not my best bet.

My main question/concern was whether this would be a suitable program for me as prep for pursuing a doctoral degree (and preferably a Ph.D.) in Clinical Psych considering in is a Master's in EDUCATIONAL PSYCH WITH A CONCENTRATION IN CLINICAL PSYCH (for Span/English bilinguals), opposed to a Master's in Clinical Psych....

However, as explained below the spanish/english bilingual specialization was of interest considering my background and aspirations with MSF.

The reputation for me is not necessarily a huge deal, as long as it would be considered OK by institutions I might apply to for doctoral studies. My main concern would be that it didn't have a bad reputation.

But again, as it is a Master's in Educational Psych I doubt it would be the best bet anyways...

Am I right in thinking this probably isn't my best bet?

I also applied to this program...but not for the bilingual part. Did they ask you for an interview??