PENN GSE

PurpleBrain

Today I got an email from PENN GSE regarding my PhD app in reading/writing/literacy. They said that they are unable to offer me a spot in their PhD program for fall 2011. HOWEVER, the email went on to say that they are HIGHLY INTERESTED in my application and want to transfer my application over to the EdD program in reading/writing/literacy. I was surprised at how soon this happened, but I feel like there is still a chance for me and it is good to know that I have not been totally dismissed. Has this happened to anyone else?

Oh yeah, I emailed the admissions director back and she responded almost immediately and said she was very excited that I am okay with being considered for the EdD program as well. *crossing my fingers*

I would love any thoughts rolleyes.gif

Great! You still have the big chance to get in. I applied for educational linguistics phd at Penn GSE. I didn't hear anything from the adcom

Today I got an email from PENN GSE regarding my PhD app in reading/writing/literacy. They said that they are unable to offer me a spot in their PhD program for fall 2011. HOWEVER, the email went on to say that they are HIGHLY INTERESTED in my application and want to transfer my application over to the EdD program in reading/writing/literacy. I was surprised at how soon this happened, but I feel like there is still a chance for me and it is good to know that I have not been totally dismissed. Has this happened to anyone else?

Oh yeah, I emailed the admissions director back and she responded almost immediately and said she was very excited that I am okay with being considered for the EdD program as well. *crossing my fingers*

It sounds like you have a good chance to get admitted to the EdD program. I hate to be a downer, but if you applied to the PhD, do you really want to do the EdD? I don't know how it is set up at Penn, but usually they aren't funded programs so it can get a bit expensive. I also would be concerned whether it would be an issue getting hired with an EdD. For some jobs, it is probably not a big deal. For others, it may be but I would talk to professors/people in the field to get their perspective. Good luck!

It sounds like you have a good chance to get admitted to the EdD program. I hate to be a downer, but if you applied to the PhD, do you really want to do the EdD? I don't know how it is set up at Penn, but usually they aren't funded programs so it can get a bit expensive. I also would be concerned whether it would be an issue getting hired with an EdD. For some jobs, it is probably not a big deal. For others, it may be but I would talk to professors/people in the field to get their perspective. Good luck!

i actually have been considering the EdD as well since i plan on becoming a professor of education. at upenn full-time EdD students are fully funded and i do plan on going full-time. also 90% of the graduates of the EdD program at upenn go on to be college professors/researchers,etc, which is exactly what i want to do. i also applied to harvard's EdD program as well. from everyone i have talked to, going to "big-name" schools does help when it comes to finding a job in the end. i will wait to see what happens. thanks and good luck to you as well!

i actually have been considering the EdD as well since i plan on becoming a professor of education. at upenn full-time EdD students are fully funded and i do plan on going full-time. also 90% of the graduates of the EdD program at upenn go on to be college professors/researchers,etc, which is exactly what i want to do. i also applied to harvard's EdD program as well. from everyone i have talked to, going to "big-name" schools does help when it comes to finding a job in the end. i will wait to see what happens. thanks and good luck to you as well!

90% seems pretty high to me for graduates of the EdD degree since traditionally an EdD is a practice-focused degree. Graduates tend to get upper level leadership positions not research positions/professorships. Not saying it couldn't happen-- it just seems odd. If they said that about the PhD degree I would be more likely to believe it as that is the focus of that particular degree. I would double check that statistic with the faculty and/or current graduate students.

Harvard's EdD program is a little different as they don't offer the PhD in Education. Their EdD program is equivalent to the PhD program at other schools and their EdLD is equivalent to other schools' EdD degree. After talking with current students and faculty in Harvard's EdD program, they were pretty candid that people don't enroll there with the initial expectation to become education professors. They said most graduates end up in research or policy jobs.

Whatever happens, I would just make sure you get the necessary research experience and courses to make your goals possible. I work in education research currently and I'm surprised (and sorta sadden) by the amount of people getting education doctoral degrees (EdD or PhD) that don't have the necessary skills to get hired for an entry level job in education research. Usually these candidates lack statistical and/or research design expertise and have a difficult time explaining their research findings to a wider audience. Unfortunately, these graduates are from respected education schools too so it just makes you wonder what's going on!

Good luck with your decisions and I hope everything works out for you :).

• 2 weeks later...

What's the difference between EdD & PhD in Education?? Thx~~

90% seems pretty high to me for graduates of the EdD degree since traditionally an EdD is a practice-focused degree. Graduates tend to get upper level leadership positions not research positions/professorships. Not saying it couldn't happen-- it just seems odd. If they said that about the PhD degree I would be more likely to believe it as that is the focus of that particular degree. I would double check that statistic with the faculty and/or current graduate students.

Harvard's EdD program is a little different as they don't offer the PhD in Education. Their EdD program is equivalent to the PhD program at other schools and their EdLD is equivalent to other schools' EdD degree. After talking with current students and faculty in Harvard's EdD program, they were pretty candid that people don't enroll there with the initial expectation to become education professors. They said most graduates end up in research or policy jobs.

Whatever happens, I would just make sure you get the necessary research experience and courses to make your goals possible. I work in education research currently and I'm surprised (and sorta sadden) by the amount of people getting education doctoral degrees (EdD or PhD) that don't have the necessary skills to get hired for an entry level job in education research. Usually these candidates lack statistical and/or research design expertise and have a difficult time explaining their research findings to a wider audience. Unfortunately, these graduates are from respected education schools too so it just makes you wonder what's going on!

Good luck with your decisions and I hope everything works out for you :).

GOT IT ~