Rethinking statement of purpose

Trin

Hey, how do you all handle thinking about, rethinking, and re-re-editing your SOP? I keep going through a cycle where I feel great about mine, then I get doubtful, rewrite it, and then feel good about it for a couple of days. Rinse, repeat. I am not normally this stressed about my writing!

I just keep freaking out about mine. Over and over again.

Yes, exactly! And I feel horribly insecure about people reading it. I have never had a problem with anyone reading my writing, but for this one thing, I just can't bear having it torn into! HDS delaying their deadline is agony, because now I have weeks to think, "Oh, maybe I should re-write it..." instead of being free of it.

Have other people who are in the sorts of programs you desire/know your area of interest well read it. You must get over your insecurities; this is a time when everything is laid bare and this is part of it.

No. I don't know anyone personally who is in the sort of program *and* has my interests. I've sent it two a couple of friends who are now professors, and a couple of professors, but I haven't heard back about it. I worry that I'm an MTS candidate who sounds like an MDiv.

I freaked out about it. I think I have saved about six versions of it. That's not counting the specific ones for each school. I kept starting over and keeping pieces from different ones. Even after they were submitted I still panicked over them. You might want to look into an essay editing company, but they are expensive. Good luck!

I freaked out about it. I think I have saved about six versions of it. That's not counting the specific ones for each school. I kept starting over and keeping pieces from different ones. Even after they were submitted I still panicked over them. You might want to look into an essay editing company, but they are expensive. Good luck!

I don't think it needs to be edited -- I'm a great writer in general. I think this is less about "my essay isn't good enough" and more about "I feel insecure." :mellow: Today I got back email from someone I'd asked to look at it (a humanities professor who was my HS sweetheart!) and he thought it was a "strong statement" and well written, and that helped.

I'm thinking that my fears have less to do with writing and more to do with worrying that people will read it and go "Why would you want to do THAT? What kind of goals are THOSE?"

I wrote it, had it reviewed by a prof in the field, and when I hit submit I forced myself to just be done...difficult but peaceful.

Yeah, even though I have until Feb 1 for HDS, I am thinking of submitting tomorrow early, so I can get the less expensive app fee, and still have two weeks of winter break to enjoy. Oh, also, I'm presenting a paper in March and I swore I was going to write it over the break! :-)