I havent gotten in yet..

mando4

I applied to 5 psychology ph.d programs and I have been rejected to three. I haven't heard anything from the other two schools yet. I am freaking out because I was so sure I would get in. Is it too late to apply to master's programs? I don't know what to do!!

If you haven't heard back by now call the department and ask, tell them (lie) that you were accepted to another program and they would like a response by March 31st therefore you would like to know your status before you make a decision. Some schools rudely send rejection letters really late (i.e. NYU) and some schools may have you on an unofficial wait list...either way just call and find out, it's late and decisions need to be made in 3 weeks so they will have no problem letting you know.

Masters programs have late deadlines so maybe you can still apply, search the schools websites and find out. If you can't find a MA program with a late deadline then start applying to research assistant jobs so you can strengthen your application for next year. At least this way you can forgo being broke for a year while gaining experience that will make you more competitive as an applicant.

Also if it does not work out, you can always study for the GRE again, take another look at your statement of purpose and re-write it, and have your future new boss submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf to the new programs you will be applying to.

If you're still considering applying to the schools that rejected you again, call and ask to see if they can keep your app. on file for next year and if they have any advice about strengthening your application.

I know someone who applied later than this to a PhD program and got in...but only because one PI had rejected all the other candidates and still wanted one. In that case, I definitely think it's worth a shot to apply for MA programs. It's still a crapshoot, though. Good luck!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use