Last Recommender Taking Her Sweet Time

Bonkers

My last recommender has completed writing my letter. I know that because (1) we lunched together when I was in town for winter break and we discussed how she was putting on the finishing touches (2) she sent out the letters to half of the schools, leaving the second half for later. Like many out there, I have spent the last 6 months doing NOTHING BUT working toward my graduate school applications: studying for the GREs, writing the mission statement, and finishing up my current research to send it in as a writing sample. It has been flippin' exhausting (particularly the part where I try to push my research paper to be semi-ready for sample submission). My last recommender is not turning in ANY of the letters on time (with delays up to one month) and is still not done! She has HALF completed... Because we are somewhat close, I have called, emailed, and texted... she tells me she is going to get them done. Don't get me wrong, she is really supportive and has nothing but good words to describe me. I just feel defeated and tired and sad. I feel like somehow this is my fault and I should have lied about the deadlines to get things going. What else can I do? What else can I say to motivate her? I am not getting any younger... I can't wait another year to apply... and wait for another half year on top of that to start grad school.

I have no advice for you, but I would like to point out that I am in basically the EXACT SAME SITUATION. I think that the way that LORs are done is truly despicable. I mean, it's all too plausible that I student could do everything right only to have a recommender flake out because he or she doesn't have the time to complete 12329134 online forms. Why can't there just be one stock form that the recommender sends to some centralized website, where the student then designates to which schools the form should be sent? I am completely baffled... just BAFFLED... as to why the system is designed this way. (/rant)

Don't quit! Be a pest! Keep emailing, texting, calling visiting (if you have to). It's a pain, I know - I've been there, but it's your future we're talking about here. The LoR writers mean well, but writing letters can be low on their list of priorities, so you just have to keep reminding them until they get it done. Just keep pressuring them (politely of course) until it gets done.

Ditto newms. You've worked hard. Here's a little bit of encouragement. Some of the schools I talked to gave extra time to receive the LOR. One school told me they allowed about an extra week. I kept sending out gentle reminders with each school's deadline on it. Keep at it! Best of luck.

Seriously. Just be as professionally and politely annoying as possible. I was at the point of sending prompts daily and an reminder email every other day. People will do just about anything to make that stop, mainly submitting your letters.

Thanks everyone for the group support! Yes... after politely texting daily reminders all of the letters are now submitted. Some of the systems did not accept because she was very late, but I will be emailing all the programs to notify them of the last letter's tardiness.

Thanks everyone for the group support! Yes... after politely texting daily reminders all of the letters are now submitted. Some of the systems did not accept because she was very late, but I will be emailing all the programs to notify them of the last letter's tardiness.

That's good that your LoR writer finally sent them in. If the application system didn't allow the LoR writer to upload it because she was late, perhaps the department has an email address that the letter could be sent to - just ask them about that.

One letter was not uploaded and the deadline was this past Saturday. It's strange how my professor uploaded ALL the letters for other programs (even some with later deadlines) but not the one with the earliest deadline. Was it forgotten or something? I sent a couple emails last week but I will go talk to the professor tomorrow or Wednesday.

For a second, I thought you were talking about one of my professors. Professor X is notorious for running up to the last minute with deadlines. I waited nearly 8 weeks for a summer grade for an independent study they advised.

I gave my request in late October. I have some backup letters, but I know Prof. X will give me a phenomenal LoR. We've worked on a lot of special projects, too, so it's important to have this recommendation. I know it will get done, but it is irksome. All of my other recommenders submitted my letter within 3 weeks of my request. Thankfully my deadline isn't for another couple of weeks.

Keep in mind there may have been a mix up or something personal going on at the time. Our profs have their own commitments besides us. Our LoRs may be our first priority, but are likely a blip of the radar for them. Polite persistence is definitely the way to go.

One letter was not uploaded and the deadline was this past Saturday. It's strange how my professor uploaded ALL the letters for other programs (even some with later deadlines) but not the one with the earliest deadline. Was it forgotten or something? I sent a couple emails last week but I will go talk to the professor tomorrow or Wednesday.

Occasionally, these email requests get swamped. Try going back to the application site and resending the request. If it is not allowed I would call the school. Then email the professor to inform him/her that you have resent the form--it also serves as a nice semi-passive aggressive way of reminding him/her that one more letter is still owed to you.